It's starting to get cold here in Western NY, so I've decided it's time to push forward with my AWD swap. This isn't my first AWD swap on a Mitsubishi, but it's definitely not the same as my last.
This is a work in progress, and it's not going to be done in a couple days or weeks, but I hope to have it AWD by spring 2010. I'll update the post as I make progress. All the thumbnails are clickable links to full size images.
Chapter one The Beginning:
Technically I started last December when I built a W5M33 from my 91 Talon Tsi parts car. That was pretty straightforward; I had to modify the mount on the top of the transmission to fit the stepped bolt patern used on the AWD unit. I also used the shift linkages from my KM206 so the shifter would work right. Besides those minor annoyances, the transmission was a direct swap with the use of a DSM intermediate axle, and a Turbo Colt driver side axle. You can use the long (CSM) driver side axle in the transmission but it wouldn't clear the transfer case.
...........Donor car.................W5M33.................The CSM axle is shorter.
Chapter two The Crossmember:
I ran the car all summer '09 with the W5M33 in FWD mode. I used a spool for the center differential, and a posi insert in the front. Thanks to this site and it's members, I was able to aquire the holy grail of swap parts, a front crossmember and mounts from an AWD Cyborg Colt.
This thing turned out to be a bit of a pain, but still worth every bit of the $250 purchase price in my opinon. The first thing I noticed was that the tall mount in the back occupies the same space as the front sway bar on our (or at least my) left hand drive cars. In picture two (below), you can see the other PITA; on the left, the 1.6T FWD bracket mounts flat to the back of the block, and on the right the Cyborg mount is stepped.
I cut the stepped part off and had plenty of material left to weld a new chunk of 3/8" steel in it's place. Since the Cyborg bracket bolts to the engine and
the transmission, I bolted it in place and tacked the two parts while in place.
The tall mount in the rear is the difficult one to modify, because not only does the sway bar cut right through the middle of it, it also moves up and down in the middle of it. I figured out what kind of clearance I would need, and cut an arc out of the mount to accomodate the sway bar. There wasn't much left of the mount with the whole middle gone, so I beefed it up by welding in a 3/8" thick plate to cover the hole I made in it.
The third issue with fitment required me to install a 98-99 GSX slave cylinder. The stock one has the banjo bolt in the bottom, and that doesn't clear the crossmember. Easy swap for that part.
That step was reasonably painless. It only took a few hours or about a day to remove the straight crossmember, make the needed modifications, and install the AWD crossmember. I took the car out afterward and test drove it with the new crossmember in it, and it worked flawlessly. No noises, no adverse affects. The car spun the front tires in third gear going 50 mph, and when I got back to the shop I did a nice second gear burnout. Nothing made noise or broke, and I now have a place to mount a transfer case, so I'm calling it a success!
That's it for now; I need to move the exhaust over about an inch or two to clear the transfer case, but that all needs to be reworked anyway. Other than that, there's the driveshaft, the fuel tank, and the rear AWD subframe. Stay tuned for the next installment.