4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: weight savings
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:11 pm 
hehe, I'm bored tonight, so I made a little list. Here are some parts that I have removed/replaced. I don't have a scale to weigh these things, so most of them are just guesses.

Anyone care to fill in the blanks

3lbs - rear wiper
5lbs - all washer fluid pieces
~60lbs - AC parts
29lbs - rear seats
- spare tire
- jack
9lbs - spare tire cover
6lbs - trunk (cargo) cover
9lbs - rear speakers & mounts
- door speakers
- front tie downs
25lbs - replace 35lb battery with 10lb battery
- rear seatbelts
24lbs - aluminum rear bumper
.5lbs - replace clock with dummy plate
2lbs - purge canistor & hoses
25lbs - new and ultra lightweight exhaust system
5lbs - DSM aluminum flywheel

I've added the following parts
40lbs - 4pt rollbar
10lbs - IC and pipes
10lbs - STB
20lbs - misc. gauges and such

Oh yeah, any of the parts listed as removed above, are probably forsale. Unless I already no longer have them.

Berserko, did you measure the stock springs vs. the coilovers?

Things that will be removed/replaced in the future
- steel hood w/ C.F. hood
- steering wheel w/ racing wheel (maybe)
- oem seats w/ racing seats
- seat belts w/ harness
- heavy brakes with lightweight brakes (keeping fingers crossed)
- tilt column for non-tilt column if it's lighter

Last edited by Guest on Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 1:47 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

heh, this sounds like something I would do. I did chip up all the tar paper as well, removed the whole dash and made a custom holder for the cluster. My A/C system weight was closer to 100lbs but then again I had yanked the evap/heater core out of mine as well. The carpeting, sound deadening wool, and tar paper was around 35 lbs. I also cut the side supports out of my doors (do this at your own risk, this car will only see the 1/4 track). Removed all the glass and hollowed out the rear hatch. I reattached it with a small mig welder. I would guess the empty gas tank weight to be around 60lbs or more, it caught me off guard.
This is my '89 Colt E 4g15 that I am making a pure dragster out of so some of this stuff may weigh less than the GT's. As of right now the car is completely shelled and waiting for money. It its sitting at full suspension height and a small guy like me can pick up one end. I should take some pictures, its not everyday you see a completely shelled car with nothing but the suspension and wheel left.

SOLD to the fastest shifting hermaphrodite in CO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 4:52 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

i bet if you get harnesses and elimanate the power seat belt stuff you can get about 30-40lbs maybe, i dont know. theres alot of stuff envolved. And what the h&ll!! 100lbs for A/C! hey i never weighed it or anything but i dont think it weighs that much. they only heavy part is the compressor. I mean the condensor prolly weighs 2lbs and the lines 2lbs. everything is alluminum. did you actually weigh it or was that a guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:39 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

Have you pulled it out of your car, the condenser is closer to 10 lbs, all the lines including the R/D are around 5 lbs and the Evap/Heater core assembly was easily 30 lbs. The bracket that held the compressor on was really heavy as well. I didn't actually weigh it all but it was all in a plastic tub and a friend and I both guesstimated it to weigh around 100lbs. I wish I hadn't tossed it all so that I could weigh it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:46 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

Oh, after I gutted it but still had the 4g15 in it, I took it to Bandimere to see how much it weighed. It dialed in at 1890lbs w/ me in it and just under a 1/4 tank of gas. Heh, the motor had 286+ on it, all the mount where shot and the clutch was burnt up. I ran a best time of 20.617 @ 65.46 mph heheheheheh. It had only a steering wheel, pedals, drivers seat and belt. No rear bumper or hood. Wait till I get it finished though, I hope to dock 8-9 seconds off that time.

Post subject: ummm
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:46 pm 

yeh, I took that out too, everything!

http://geocities.com/colt4rally/P1010006.jpg

http://geocities.com/colt4rally/fresh_p ... ainted.jpg

and many more pics if you dig around that site.

Unfortunately, I didnt weigh most of the stuff, but changing to Lexan windows will save you around 100lbs or more.

I didnt post images here because they never work from that cheapskate geocities site.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:58 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
- heavy brakes with lightweight brakes (keeping fingers crossed)
I'd be careful with this somewhat. I've seen some cars that have switched to lighter rotors loose braking efficiency due to the lack of an effective heat sink in the rotors and hub assembly.

You might want to look at removing the metal bumper under your OE body kit up front if you havent already, that fawker is heavy. I would also start thinking about learning composites and making up a c/f rear hatch, fenders (widebody anyone?), etc. I'd also make sure the stuff you're removing/lightening is legal to remove, whether its your local DOT or the racing class/series you're running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:09 pm 
Chris, was it you that found a lightweight junkyard bumper that would work on the front of our cars?

Post subject: Dodge Stealth
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:55 pm 

Yeh, it was me, but "fits our cars" is a loose term. the general shape is there, but stock M/C brackets need to be welded to the stealth bumper brackets. The nice thing is that the dimensions seem to all add up without any other mods. The weight savings is about 14 lbs. Stock front bumper was 28lbs and the Stealth extruded aluminum bumper is 14 lbs (numbers taken from overworked, undercaffinated memory) You could also lighten your original bumper creating holes all the way through for added cooling. I suspect you can reasonably save about 5-6 pounds and still have a safe bumper.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 4:10 pm 

QUOTE : "Unfortunately, I didnt weigh most of the stuff, but changing to Lexan windows will save you around 100lbs or more."

I think that claim is VERY optimistic ! I bought lexan sheet to do the two rear side windows . There was less than a 3 pound difference per window . At that point I didn't even bother to go through the hassle of mounting the lexan windows . there is a easy way around all these weight problems , ask Underdog : MORE POWER , MORE POWER AND MORE POWER !!!!!!!

just my .01 worth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 4:16 pm 
Quote:
MORE POWER , MORE POWER AND MORE POWER !!!!!!!

just my .01 worth
More power does absolutely nothing for helping you turn or stop.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 4:45 pm 

Jason , you are absolutely right . I've been down the road to strip everything out of the car to get down to minimum weight for E prepared auto-x class . It was fun for a while , but driving an echo chamber everyday to work gets old fast . I yanked the A/C out of the car a year after i bought the car new to try to get an advantage in D stock competition . Even some of the best drivers in the country with every allowable mod couldn't make the car nationally competitive . It was more than capable at a regional level but at what cost ( It was my only car at the time ) . I agree that reducing the weight as much as REASONABLY possible is a smart move . I ended up putting the interior back in the car , but not the A/C ( threw too much stuff away ). I guess what my rant adds up to is: there has to be limit that each of us will tolerate to enjoy our cars for our respective racing of choice . Who will build the first tubeframe Mirage/Colt for drag use or maybe road course/ auto-x !?!? Will anyone !?!
I Apologize if I stepped on anyone's feelings !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:39 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

As a poor guy, weight savings are my cheapest way to make my car faster. For example, my stock '93 Ford Probe GT (2.5L V6) w/ full interior, CAI and cat back ran a 15.48 @ 90.1 mph, when I gutted the interior except for the dash and drivers seat. I ran a 14.961 @ 99.2 mph. The weight difference was just over 250lbs...oh that also included removing the compressor and some of the A/C line (damn engine bay is a pain to work in). So I gained .52 seconds from weight loss and the engine not having to turn the compressor. My 60 fts were almost identical but it had a much easier time on the back half. But after about two weeks of listening to every noise coming from under my car, I put the interior back in cause it can get annoying w/ a daily driver. Heh, you think your stock seats weigh a ton, the drivers seat on the Probe is over 70lbs and the passenger seat weighed 42 lbs. They are all electric and the drivers has lumbar and side adjusters as well. Very comfortable but very heavy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:03 pm 
I no longer daily drive my car. In fact, I'm trying to work out either a trailer or a dolley to tow it to race events. Driving it every day and back and forth to the tracks was causing too many things to wear out. I'm trying to remove as much as I legally can for Street Modified class in auto-x. Although I think in it's current setup the car handles road courses better. So, if I go that route, I can remove the entire interior.

Oh yeah, I have actually considered getting another one to daily drive. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:57 pm 
4g61t Delinquent

Quote:
Who will build the first tubeframe Mirage/Colt for drag use or maybe road course/ auto-x !?!? Will anyone !?!

:twisted: only one person on this board knows why im grinning like this :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

For those 10 months or less... I'm broke...