4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:24 pm 
CSM Junkie

A fun little project for low-dough! This was made from my old AC reciever/dryer canister located on the driver side firewall. Those of us with boosted 4G6X's know how much oil ends up in the intake tract. Heres a cheaper/nice looking alternative to spending $50 on a RRE breather tank.
Finished Product:

How to make:

89-92 CSM AC reciever/dryer can on drv. side firewall (Should be free, fast cars dont need AC)
Ricer Autozone mini-breather $9.99
1/8 NPT male-male nipple (short) $.89
1/8 NPT to 1/4" hose barb fitting $.99
1/4" NPT petcock $1.29

Dremel, hacksaw, 1/8" NPT Tap, 2 ton epoxy to seal threads, Needlenose pliers, Patience

-Lob off the top of the can, drill the larger of the 2 holes in the body to accept a 1/8 NPT. This is where the short pipe nipple goes. The other tiny hole gets epoxied shut.
-Drill a hole in the side for the 1/8" NPT hose barb fitting. Your needs may require 2...depends how you run your breather setup.
-Drill/Dremel a 1/4 NPT hole in the bottom for the drain petcock. This is where you will pull out all the guts.
Patience needed here:
Took 2 hours to empty the interesting AC stuff inside....be prepared for this strange dessicant stuff to fall out (ie...do this in a garage, not the living room) There is an aluminum tube, screen filters, washers, and felt insulation stuff inside. The felt insulation had all those little dessicant beads in it.
Used a needlenose pliers to pull all the stuff through the 1/4" NPT hole in the bottom, gradually crushing it into pieces that could be removed with the pliers.
All fittings will probably need some epoxy or silicone on the threads to ensure good sealing.
The stock AC can mount was dremeled into a simpler form and spraypainted black.

Lemme know what you guys think!
regards,
Paul Aschenbrener
91 Colt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:40 pm 

Verry nice just 1 thing how much was it to get it diped in crome??

But good idea im on my way to the JunYard to pick one up

Pat

91 Celica
http://members.sounddomain.com/gage1
http://community.webshots.com/user/miragegt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:08 pm 
CSM Junkie

Bah! Thats not chrome, just the normal aluminum can with some wetsanding and polishing. :wink: (thanks for the compliment however!) I'll do a little write-up on giving your can the custom polished look as well.

You can get everything needed at wal-mart for under $10.
(the source for all of my high-class automotive repair needs)

I used the 3M Wetdry Assorted sandpaper pack located near the bondo/matching spraypaint stuff in the automotive dept. The pack should have 220, 320, 400, and 600 grit paper in it. (1 sheet each)
Youll want a little spray bottle to mist water on the can and paper.

Start with 220 grit, taking out all the scratches and smoothing out any rough areas. Make sure you do a good job on 220, any scratches left behind will show up in the finished product.

Once you think you have done enough work with the 220, go to 320 and work out all the scratches you made with the 220....same goes with 400 and 600 grits. I recommend washing the can off in the sink between grits to avoid screwing it up.

Once youre at 600 grit, I use a spiral sewn cotton buffing wheel with tripoli compound to buff it all out, and follow up with Mothers aluminum polish to take out the fine scratches. If you dont have a buffer, an old bath towel/old t-shirt and Mothers polish will do a nice job.

This same method applies to anything you want to polish. It is a tedious, time consuming process, but looks damn good when youre done!
As a sidenote, I recommend beer, cigarettes, or whatever other substances you need to help things go smoother. :D
Have Fun!
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:32 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

That looks awesome! Great write up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:39 am 
CSM Expert

Good job on the mod! Ethereal and i discussed the possibility of using the AC dryer as a catchcan some time ago. I didnt expect a finished product would look so nice! I'm definately going to make one now! :D

4g15 12valve 5spd.
4g37 TB, MAF & Injectors. 4g37 ECU
Ported & polished & custom CAI w/K&N filter
5* Cam retard, 7*Ignition advance
2-1/4" catback w/flowmaster muffler
89 GT brake and suspension swap
Lots of little s#@t

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:36 am 
The Silent Administrator

The crowd roars, they could be heard saying, "Arrrr...chiiiiiives"
:D