4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: 92 Summit AWD Wagon
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:59 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I will take the transfer case off next week and look at it. I will be in touch as always Thom

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD
3 KIDS, FUTURE FIANCE, AND CAR ADDICTION

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:17 am 

I think I figured out why the transfer case seal is leaking. The front Carrier bearing is shot. The boot that goes about the shaft is ripped bad and I can assume this winter was not good to the old rubber.
Question of the Day: Take the Summit to Shootout or the new drag talon? The drag talon is suppose to be done for shootout and I was planning on taking both, but I can't find a 2 car hauler trailer.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:54 am 

Welp, all projects are put on hold until 2016. I am taking the Summit to shootout in hopes to just drive it around. I never got to test the new shocks on the front end to see if I would have front fender rub. I have the new driveshaft yoke and transfer case seal on order which should be here Thursday, which leaves me just enough time to drive it on a trailer and get some sleep before leaving at 3AM. I spent way to much time on trying to get these rims to fit and should have just installed the stock dsm springs up front and called it a day. It has prevented me from driving at all this year.
As for the reason for my projects being on hold is that the expenses from getting the drag car tuned is 3 times more than estimated and nowhere close to being done at the current expense rate. I am feeling very beat down and know why people part out their dsm constantly right before getting them going. Most stuff will be going to storage and I will try to save some money up to come back at it next year. I just hope not 2 weeks before shootout.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:43 am 

Duplicate message

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:51 am 

I enjoyed Shootout 2015. I came back a bit sunburn, but I had a blast. I got to see some of my favorite cars run down the track and even a few from this forum. I took the summit like I had previously mention as the drag talon was not ready. We were suppose to drive it on the street, but trailer it everywhere lol. Funny how tired you are at the end of the day at the track. I am going to get it out tonight and drive a bit. We did cruise around a bit to allow my buddy to drive. He loves the thing and is why we are building him one.

I have some new photos of the summit from this past weekend that I will post after I get them from my buddy as my phone is stone age.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:27 pm 
CSM Junkie

did you spot any wagons?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:44 am 

There were 5 wagons including mine. Leon's, Jay's, and mine were 4g63t. Then Charles and another guy that I didn't catch his name (bad at remembering names).

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:58 am 

I have a simple problem that is a bit embarrassing as I have owned only 4 auto vehicles ever, which 3 of them don't get any miles put on them a year. I check my transmission fluid when hot with the engine off and the level is just above the hot line on the stick(1/8inch). If I check it while the engine is running it is hard to read and not a consistent level on both sides of the stick. One side is 3 inches above the hot line and the other is 1 inch above. Why I am concern is that now when I come to a complete stop you can hear the trans have a slight clunk that you feel more than you hear.

Any ideas? I have the RVR transmission

Update on suspension: I took the summit around the block taking some quick turns 90 degree turns. I rub in the rear now. I never had a problem in the rear. Interesting enough when I raise the front end by putting new struts in, it balance the weight and placed more in the rear. So I hope to be able to purchase some new shocks for the rear this week as the girlfriend want to drive the summit around this weekend.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:23 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Auto transmission in ALL but a very few circumstances, is always checked with the vehicle running and the trans fluid at a particular temp, usually operating temp.
Ridgelines have a check process whereby you have a time limit to check the fluid after stopping the engine, and at a certain temp range.

You have to check with the engine running and the torque converter filled and operational.

With the vehicle off, the torque converter drains back down.

Double check in the transmission manuals listed at lilevo.com to be sure, but this has to be the way to check it.

You go with lowest point of fluid on the dipstick. The fluid should go across totally across the metal surface to confirm that you don't have "drag by pickup" on the tubing as you retract/insert.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:43 am 

Flying Eagle, that is what I thought was interesting. The fluid levels were lower when the vehicle was turned off than when the vehicle was on. I couldn't get a solid line across and had a lot of tube drag. The summits trans fluid level changed once I did what Thom Casey said and put it in each gear to cycle the valve body. It actually started to idle better also. I let the girlfriend drive it just around the block informing her she cant hit pot holes.....she then nailed a speed bump at 20mph lol (she has blonde moments). I was watching the rear fender when it happen lol. I was doing my final analysis on the suspension setup. I need to roll the front fenders a hair as it barely cuts into the tire. The rear fenders need completely rolled as I can see from the mini drive that if I were to stomp the gas the rear would cut into the tire bad. I don't know of another spring I can run on the rear that is stiffer. The agx shocks are stiffer than the gr2 I just bought. It rubbed a lot more on the new gr2 than the old agx. I will purchase some agx new here in the near future as the dial kept spinning over and over, which didn't see right. I checking my other set and they seem to want to stop at 1 or 8 but would go past if you cranked it. I leaning more and more towards airbags. I just need to figure out how to setup my stops and where i am going to get the funds. It should be an easy install. I didn't take the time to check on the trans fluid as I knew it had fluid and I was more concern with the suspension. I just put it in storage back in the shop again. I will mess with it this next Friday night. When I go out there to run some electrical on the ratrod.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:52 am 

Anyone tried to use an AWD 1g Fully Adjustable Megan Front Coilover on there van?
I assume the lower the car too much. I would like to look at different struts and see where the perch sits.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:15 pm 

So I have not been on in a very long time. I have since drove the summit for a year as a daily (60miles round trip) 2017. I then parked it January of 2018 and didn't touch it until Jun or July 2018. I was trying to go through anything that could cause it to brake down. I upgraded turbos to a Bullseye S362 with a dsm style turbine outlet. I used a punishment style o2 housing using a Tial wastegate. I installed a N/A water charge pipe and fed the turbo off the oil filter housing. I did a water pump and timing job. I was still dealing with tune issues and wideband issues. Long story short. Don't run the wideband from the o2 housing and install it 18in after the turbo. I relocated the fuel pressure gauge and tighten up the intercooler and radiator. I have never had a inspection cover on the bottom of the transmission and this really bothered me for years. I had one laying around the garage and put it on. When I fired the car up to take it to 2018 Shootout hours before leaving. It sounded like the turbo was rubbing on one of the housings. I took the turbo off, took off the compressor housing, looked good, installed the turbo, fired up, louder noise, took off the turbo, tore it down to the chra with no issue. Then 10min before having to be in a car headed out. I figure it out the inspection cover was just grazing the torque converter just perfectly to give it a turbo interference ring.

Got back from shootout and took a step away from the car for a few months. I looked at installing a 4 bolt differential and never made any progress of actually doing it. I would tinker but never do anything with it. At this point I was in need of a rear mustache bar and inspiration. So fast forward to 2019 Shootout time period. I started on the car a month early. I had purchased a ridiculously beefed up stock mustache bar months before. I made sure the car was ready to be tuned for sure again. After 2018 shootout, I purchased a 1989 Suburban to haul the family around and by shootout I was ready to tow with it. The suburban had received a new transmission, new differential, new rad, upgraded brakes, electronic brake controller, and all new senors. I was pumped to tow with it. I try to tow a car out every year as insurance for the caravan group that I go with. We made it to shootout with a few hickups but nothing big. The radiator fan decided to fry itself front the inside while cruising to the track. Thanks to the Casey family and Performancepartout. I was able to install a Spal fan at the track and still cruise around. It also became apparent the turbo was burning oil like a mosquito killer. We spent hours trying to get the car to tune, but because of the wideband issues that I am still having we just got a base tune done. Thanks Standard Tuning. I am going to purchase my 3rd bosch sensor and calibrate it and hope to not have any issues. I also had the exhaust welded up as since it was put together, I had a slip on clamp.
So this past weekend, I drove the summit to my home town (2hour trip one way). My kids, nephew, and niece got to ride around in the summit. We went bowling, grabbed burgers, and got ice cream. The turbo doesn't smoke unless over 5psi. I have notice how high my oil pressure is but never had a cause for concern. With the engine fully warmed and in cold driving conditions (35F)
At 900 rpm- 25-30psi
at 2000rpm -55psi
At 2800rpm - 82psi
At 3400rpm - 98psi
At this point my 100psi gauge really doesn't read any higher.

I need to do the ofh modification over the Christmas Holiday. I also need to get an alignment or balance the wheels again. I have a shutter/vibration at 80mph. I thought it was previously my hub centric rings (now have been replaced) or bent mustache bar (been replaced). I have had this issue since I can remember.

I don't know if the turbo is burning oil due to oil pressure or if it needs repairs. I called Bullseye over the TG holiday and obviously no one was there to help.
I thought I would give an update to the car as it has been 3 year, but still on the road from time to time.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:53 pm 

if u didnt put a restricter on the feed line to the turbo u probably have too much oil press and its pushing past the seals..

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:03 am 

Assuming this is a JB turbo I'd look at drain restrictions before I started throwing restriction in the oil feed line. Do you have a pic of your drain or can you describe it? The two primary causes for turbos smoking is oil drain restriction and crankcase pressure. While I agree your oil pressure is a bit high, I'd be cautious about putting restriction in a jb turbo feed line as the first fix.

White Colt