4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:35 pm 
CSM Junkie

how come CSM has (OE) bigger battery compared to his younger sibling like the 97-up current model lancer/evo's, mirage? is there a deeper explanations on this? I also got a civic w/c is two years younger that my CSM but it uses a small battery compared to my CSM?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:37 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Torque reduction starters. Smaller package with greater torque output, = less current required at peak draw and constant run with motor already in motion.

Basically the battery is mainly there for instantaneous electrical loads and less starter amperage required = less total maximum load. Alternator takes over once the car is running.

Honda Civics of the newest variety have super small batteries because of the low torque required to crank over their motor and accessories.

If however you have power seats, larger radio option, electric sunroof, etc; you can expect a car to have a slightly larger capacity battery if the option is listed for it. It's always a good idea to have a little more available from a battery within reason.

I don't understand guys running super small batteries in road cars. That's just me. I leave lights on, drive in colder weather, etc. I deal with broken cars all day, so it stands to reason I don't want to strand myself, even more than the next guy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:59 pm 
Some call me a god

I'm experimenting with using a heavy duty lawn battery right now. 275cca rating and costs about $45. I haven't gotten to use it much but I can tell you it has done great cranking for good amounts of time when I was trying to get my tune correct on my Mirage. The car is pretty bare bones though and I'm running a galant 95 amp alternator.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:07 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Torque reduction starters. Smaller package with greater torque output, = less current required at peak draw and constant run with motor already in motion.

Basically the battery is mainly there for instantaneous electrical loads and less starter amperage required = less total maximum load. Alternator takes over once the car is running.

Honda Civics of the newest variety have super small batteries because of the low torque required to crank over their motor and accessories.

If however you have power seats, larger radio option, electric sunroof, etc; you can expect a car to have a slightly larger capacity battery if the option is listed for it. It's always a good idea to have a little more available from a battery within reason.

I don't understand guys running super small batteries in road cars. That's just me. I leave lights on, drive in colder weather, etc. I deal with broken cars all day, so it stands to reason I don't want to strand myself, even more than the next guy.
I guess that's one of the culprit that needs to be considered, the starter.

I've pulled out my starter was able to compared it. Our was so heavy and bulky and other are smaller yet more power and higher output, just wandering what reduction starter would fit our CSM from his younger sibling to utilize using small batteries.

I believe some Mitsu or Hyundai parts can be interchangeable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:20 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I wrote a very lengthy post that might be archived, might not, showing all the starters that interchange. In theory, for guys using the 4g15 starter to crank their 4g63 setup, you could use a 4g63 starter to operate the 4g15 setup. If you knew of any other "guts" that could inhabit the same frame/nose cone position, AND drew less current to start and once running, you'd have a winner.
There might be KiloWatt ratings to compare between the 4g15 and the 4g63 versions, but I can't offer those off the top of my head.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:25 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I've been running an Odyssey PC680MJT in my Colt for a few years now. It starts up in 15*F weather although it does crank slower and has sat in the car for over a month without a charge and started up fine. I couldn't be happier with this tiny battery.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:54 am 
CSM Junkie

did you also replace the battery tray? what kind of battery tray did you got? there's a out there but what fits our CSM? or did you relocate??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:19 pm 

I use a home made custom tray. The battery is still in the engine bay but not factory location since my air filter is there now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:56 pm 
CSM Expert

Never had luck with small batteries. I stuck a regular sized one in front of the passenger taillight and never looked back

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:27 am 
Some call me a god

I've been using a PC680 for about 5 years now, still works great.

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:55 pm 

This is what I'm using on my Colt, it's on e85 and as you know it takes a little to start it in mornings, have been good battery so far

http://www.batterystore.com/xe16x-genes ... al-jacket/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:43 pm 
The happy administrator

I've run a full size battery tucked in the back of the hatch since I've had the car.

The difference seems to be between those who drive their car every day (charging it every day) and those who don't. If you daily it, you can get by with a small battery, if you only drive it on the weekends, probably better to run a full size.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:50 pm 

I know this is old, I have a napa lawnmower battery in front just for starting and a normal size in the rear for extras. The small one in the front is over 8 years old and I just went out the other day and started it up after sitting for about 2 months. oh and it was -4F out when it started it. im waiting for it to stop working, but it still keeps going! really depends on the batch the battery was made in. IMO ive seen new ones last a month to only a couple days to over ten years. one item you just never know when its gonna crap out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:33 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Quote:
Quote:

I guess that's one of the culprit that needs to be considered, the starter.

I've pulled out my starter was able to compared it. Our was so heavy and bulky and other are smaller yet more power and higher output, just wandering what reduction starter would fit our CSM from his younger sibling to utilize using small batteries.

I believe some Mitsu or Hyundai parts can be interchangeable
To know the clock fitment (angle of the nose), plunge depth and mating tooth style, you could cross over a smaller but more powerful torque reduction starter, but it may require opening lots of boxes in a parts store/back room type scenario. As long as the starter has at least the KW rating of the factory starters, then it is a good match. 1.2KW comes to mind. IF you have a high compression motor, or at least more compression than stock and or some additional accessories drawing on the instantaneous start motion (which most people don't), you may have to look into a slightly higher KW rating.

Better yet, contact a technical support line for a company that makes starters and see what could crossover based upon the nose cone, size of the component overall and power output. Then fitment of wiring would be the only issue - harness changes at the end or not.