4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:18 pm 
Some call me a god

I got some tunes installed recently. Bought a JVC unit that will charge your phone through the usb port so I don't really need to mess with adding a 12v source. Found out after installing it, this thing came with no audio at all from the factory. The stock front dash speaker locations were bare! So I stole the 4" speakers I had in my mirage and we have sound. I'll add some speakers to the back eventually.

Also managed to retrofit a 2g shift boot onto the stock colt shifter. While I was in there, I pulled the shifter assembly apart and replaced (wasn't even there anymore) one of the bushings so it feels a good amount better now.

I need to find time to hit some salvage yards but really doubt I'll find anything with as old as these things are now. All the parts are still waiting to go on, I've found myself busier than usual and the mirage is taking longer to get finished (nothing new).

Still not sure what the plan is for this thing, I'd love to be able to find an a/c setup to put in it and throw the 4g63 I have sitting around in it for my wife to drive. She's always saying she misses her old hatch, who knows how she'd really feel about driving one again. lol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:23 pm 
Some call me a god

I was able to get the brakes swapped over the other day. I did it the slide hammer way and it worked well. Bearings looked to be in good shape so I put new grease on them and slapped it back together. The sedan rotors are the same diameter, but vented and thicker obviously. The pads are a generous amount larger. I compared the calipers to single piston DSM calipers and they are dementionally the same so good cheap upgrade.

I also found the reason why the front end shakes while braking. The right inner tie rod is shot, nice clunk back and forth. The ball joints looked and felt good though. I ordered new inner and outer tie rods from Rock Auto and will just replace all of them at once and be done with it for good.

Slowly but surely she will make it back to her golden age and better hopefully!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:19 pm 
Some call me a god

I got the passenger side tie rod ends swapped out and back together. Still getting a clunk so I will swap the driver side ends out next and then swap the struts and get it re-aligned.

The door handle has been installed, but unfortunately the lock cylinder is messed up. I might look into swapping the passenger and driver cylinders that way at least I won't have to go to the passenger side, unlock on the outside, reach across, unlock and then walk around.

As soon as I can find the a/c stuff for this car, I'll look into stuffing a 4g63 inside. But I want to do it all at once if I do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:29 pm 
Some call me a god

All the tie rod ends have been replaced now. Driver's side wasn't horrible but I'm hoping that will be the end of the front end clunking. Alignment can finally be done now and I'll be able to take it out and about.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:25 am 
Some call me a god

Alignment was done and I got some wheels for it from Discount Tire. Very impressed by their customer service, they called me to verified the offset was ok. It showed to be 40 but was really 38 and they called to make sure it was alright before they shipped it out. And I ordered them on Monday afternoon and got them on Wednesday!

I've established a plan for this car. It is going to get a stock 4g63/km210 with a/c. I'd like it to be around 250hp, nothing super fast, but an awesome, fun car to cruise around in when I don't want full race car in the sedan. A while back I picked up a complete spare motor that was pulled from a Galant VR4 (which has turned into an awesome, lucky pickup). It has the a/c bracket and pulley I need to run a/c. I have a perfect condition 14b and 2g manifold. I also have a KM210 transmission and could clutch setups to choose from. I'm ordering the few parts I need and they are starting to pile up. Don't have a real timeline, when I get the parts car fully stripped and out is most likely when it will start.

I'm going to prep the motor and trans and have that fully ready to drop in as well as the wiring stuff. I'd like it to be simple plug and play when I do the swap. I'm not sure if I want to swap in a power rack over the manual. I want this to be a car my wife will enjoy driving as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:17 pm 
The happy administrator

I did 253 at the wheels with a 14b and stock 450cc injectors at 18lbs. Should be pretty easy for you to hit that number. I STILL can't get over how shiny that thing turned out!

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:00 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
I did 253 at the wheels with a 14b and stock 450cc injectors at 18lbs. Should be pretty easy for you to hit that number. I STILL can't get over how shiny that thing turned out!
Ya, it shouldn't be too hard to hit those numbers. I remember how much fun my old hatch was with simple upgrades.

The paint took 3 stages of buffing to get there, but it did come out decent. It could definitely use a paint job and a good amount of body work. I'm not complaining though!

I swapped the front seats out with the cloth ones from the sedan I picked up for parts. Interior is coming together well.

I also made an interesting discovery with the side mirrors on the hatchback and sedans. They are interchangeable. The bezels are what are different, you simply swap the bezel and bolt the new mirror on. I swapped the passenger side over and will swap the driver side to match. (I've got a folding and and nonfolding mirror right now)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:56 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Great information about the mirrors crossing over! Different part numbers must have been differences between complete assemblies that get shipped with those bezels in differing shapes to suit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:16 pm 
Some call me a god

It is getting close to go time on this swap. I am on vacation next week and am looking to have a running, driving, cold a/c car by the end of it. I've cleared the garage out, cut up the parts car and took it to recycling.

I ordered and received some BG lowering springs from THMotorsports.com. This was the first time I've ordered from them and I was impressed. Great price, $192 shipped and quick communication. I was a little worried when they said the springs weren't in stock, but the were able to get them drop shipped from BG with 2 day shipping. There was no way I was going to be able to stick with the stock suspension. Body roll is horrible and there is no agility to speak of. So I've begun prepping the suspension and putting the new stuff together.

I also ordered a Comp Clutch flywheel sense FWD flywheels seem to be impossible to find used. This will be the first flywheel I've used from them, I've always had aluminium. That came in today.

The transmission got new axle seals and new Sachs TOB and got cleaned up a little. I've never used a Sachs TOB but I foresee any issues with it, it looks well made. I'll be using a ACT 2600 with street disc setup on the Comp Clutch flywheel.

The motor will be put on the stand real quick to make the waiter pump and timing belt change easy. I'm not going to do anything with the internals.

After that's done, I'll bolt everything together and get it ready to go in. I'll make sure to post some pictures along the way.

Someone might as well move this over to the builds section. :-)

Last edited by fastvtgsx on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:02 pm 
Some call me a god

Getting prepped!

Perfect condition 14b and 2g manifold. I'll do some light porting to eliminate the ridges.

KM210 all cleaned up, new TOB, back up light switch and speed sensor, as well as new seals.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:27 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Open up your lowering springs, and pull them out of the box. Compare them to your current spring setup, do this right away.

There were many issues a short while back where guys were getting springs but they weren't exactly what they were supposed to be.

Trying to look out for you, on this one!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:31 pm 
Some call me a god

Ya, I saw the posts about those "issues". The aftermarket springs aren't going to match up exactly to factory springs, this doesn't cause any problems, the spring isn't going to slide off the pirch. I installed them and they work great, ride amazing and I have no complaints.

This is with the 4g15 still installed, it is a bit lower with the 4g63.

A/C stuff all installed under the dash, it was pretty straight forward.

A/C line ran, power steering installed!

New timing parts, water pump and a hyundai timing cover at 1/3 the price of a mitsubishi one.

Of course the brake pedals have to different as well as the clutch pedals on cable clutch cars...

So I took one of those brackets and.....

Made this, works perfectly.

Comp Clutch flywheel and ACT2600 installed, overkill but I had the ACT laying around.

4g63 installed!

Treadstone TR6 intercooler is a great choice for fitment and is good for 400hp. It took a good amount of trimming and fitting on the bumper but as you can see it tucks in well.

It is a blast to drive, only left to do is weld up the 3 inch exhaust as it is only running a downpipe right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:48 pm 
Some call me a god

Exhaust done and done. I've put about 400 miles on it so far. Small issue with overheating was fixed by pulling the stock super thin radiator out and putting a OSC 234 (turbo mirage) radiator in with some Redline Water Wetter.

Running 13psi squeals the tires in first and second and just goes in 3rd. Tons of fun. I'm not sure I really love the turbo mirage trans though. It revs pretty high at 75mph in 5th. But I'm averaging 23-24mpg with spirited driving so I can't complain.