4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:44 pm 
Some call me a god

Finally had some time to get this thing back together.

First-I wanted to make some improvements while I had the top end off. Needed to reworked the vacuum system-so I "tapped" another barb into the back vacuum block. Now, everything has a separate boost reference source. This is very important, and often overlooked for most FI builds.

Onto the head improvements. Picked up a set of 703's (or so I thought, read on) for dirty cheap WITH dual springs (unknown brand or mileage, hence the just above scrap price) so I had the valve springs covered. China head studs from Jegs for $95, and I also was gifted a set of Comp 7.4 pushrods from a road Race team that just changed a set and was going to toss them! Thanks guys! Time for an MLS and more RPM.

Cleaned things up a bit

And get ready to install the 35$ a pair (not even kidding) GM MLS gaskets when I see...

THERE ARE NOTCHED HEADS?!?!?!?!? WTF?? These are not 703s! The numbers are ground off-but after looking around they are stock Ls1 heads. If you have no idea what I am talking about-read here http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/mls-head-g ... oes-89964/

So according to the internet, I cant use these heads with a GM MLS. If fact, I'd have to put paper gaskets back on to use ANY notch head. I'm pissed! Its 2am I went inside and had a beer.

Then, I remembered what this whole car is about-throwing caution to the wind and pushing the limits. So, I grabbed my trusty can on Indian Head and went to town.

I have used this crap to seal head gasket jobs that 100% should not work- and it has never failed me. Why stop now?

Note the extra sauce around that infamous "notch".

In goes the MLS, and I take the China studs until they felt "tight enough". Its about a 1/4 turn past 80 ft lbs-its a funny spot where they don’t want to turn anymore. Anyone who has put studs in multiple applications knows what I’m talking about.

Cleaned up the header gaskets with some sand paper

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... 353131.jpg

And slammed her back together.

By this time its 6am, and time for a nap before work. We will see if the notch leaks in the morning.

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:32 am 
Some call me a god

A few people have asked me how effective my 2 stage controler is. Well, here is a video. :yay:

https://youtu.be/F0Uft84zbBw

Its just a EVAP solinoid switched with a toggle controling the signal to the gates.

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs ... 1ce358.gif

The switch controls which side sends signal to the gates. I just bleed with T's to get the desired boost level. You can use a $5 home depot boost controler for each stage as well for finer adjustemnt, in which case you would have a $10 2 stage controler. I would work on a way to have it on a speed tirgger, but I dont have a speed sensor to work with at the moment.

Cheers

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:27 pm 
CSM Junkie

haha sounds like we both have identical 2 stage boost controllers! my boost controller IS actually made from home depot parts, the ball and spring are not from there tho
my air valve is a stock dsm part that i have a whole bunch of. couple vacuum lines and tees and a toggle to turn it on. off is wastegate. on is controller setting.

stoked to hear im not the only one. its cheap entertainment

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:23 pm 
Some call me a god

Progress has been slow since I have been ramping up a new busienss venture and working on plans to build a house, but we do have progress!

All good things must come to an end.

I took a deposit on the motor and told the buyer I would check the rods before I shipped. Low and behold-3 are visibly bent! I an sure there are more than have a little wave in em' but needless to say the deposit was returned!

To recap-852whp@21psi uncorrected (872whp STD)

Best of 10.2@146 on 15psi

Bone stock Ls1, down to the cam!

I have a 05+ 5.3 to try out with the "big" rods to see if the dyno queen can squeeze some Jam out of another $200 motor! Turbo set up will be new as well-only to try out a single set up. I have to say, it will be hard to beat the twins! We will see.

Updates on LS JUAN 2.0 coming soon...

Gen4 5.3-picked up fro $200 delivered! Stipped down and given a bath

Big Rods and floating pins, check

The reason this motor was so cheap from the junkyard is it was in a fire, and I negotiated the price baised on havign to replce all eletrical sensors (none of which I was using anyways. Manifold and most of the wiring was intact so it could not have gotten that hot, but the motor was failry crusty

Crusty-

All cleaned up, ready for all of it!

Used a notched stock headbolt to chase the threads.

And did a 10 minute clean up on the heads with a soft wire wheel.

My buddy Gabe drilling and tapping the "3rd" hole for the OE Camaro alternator bracket

Not pictured is the reused 5.7 OE 3 layer MLS Gaskets reused Speedpro (From Jegs, $100) Chinese head studs. Torqued to 80ft lbs.

And some more carnage pics.

Evidently, she was making some steam. This is the pinion gear actually splitting apart at the seam. Yikes!

Near or over 1000chp is a lot to ask of a stock rod evidently. Who would have though? :eek2: Most of the rods looked like this. The pistons look perfect.

Thanks to a great tune from Erik @ backstreet performance, I will be reusing these pistons again!

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:53 am 
Some call me a god

Well the first dyno visit was a minor success.

I was last in line-had 4 other (DSMs) to tune, so it was just a "dial in" session for the car.

After some idle/driving tune time to get the new moor/cam set up dialed in-we made few hits

First pull-breaking up. 100% my fault as I had never changed plugs from last season, and forgot the new set!! Oye. Hit them with brake fluid and a wire wheel.

Next pull-out of fuel, and boost seemed out of control. I was seeing 20+psi on my 15 lbs spring with no signs of the party stopping any time soon. I could turn up the base pressure but with the boost control lacking and bark breaking up under load- I decided to call it a night. So far, she made 760whp lifting at 5500. I cant give much of an impression on the street since I have not done more than a blast down the street, but I would not say this turbo is lazy by any means!

Before I go back to the dyno, I will be doing-

New plugs and wires (AZ lifetime warranty-Free.95)

Adding a second gate

Swapping out one 255 for a 340 or larger so I can safely make 850-900whp.

Video-its hard to tell in the video but it was breaking up considerably under load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsbPwIu ... e=youtu.be

Lsjuan First pulls on3 billet 88mm - YouTube

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:01 pm 
Some call me a god

Fixed a few lingering issues with the car. First was heavy boost spikes. I figured it was my sub par wastegate placement, but i decided to check the springs just to be sure. We'll yep, Im a jackass. Had 20+psi of spring in there! Whoops. spring change and I can hold 10psi to redline. Bingo!

Next, while I had the car in the air working on the gates, I noticed the rear wheels could spin independently of each other. Uh-oh. Out comes the diff. Luckily, it broke the welds, and just munched them up and kept rolling!
Image Yep-no longer welded.

So i was able to just re-weld more (significantly more) using my buddies 220v Miller and save the gear set. Hooks up a TON better now LOL. Lets see how long THAT lasts!

Next, I picked up a used pair of 340's for $50. One was louder than the other, but F it-lets roll! Upon removal of the hanger, I immediately found out why my car "fuel sloshed" so bad on launch and between shifts!

VIDEO
http://vid1003.photobucket.com/albums/a ... 030942.mp4

That how it was IN THE TANK. Just flopping around. Also, after measuring everything- the pumps were a good 3 inched off the bottom of the tank with no filter socks, so I am sure they were cavitating like a mofo whole flopping around in there. I must have been drunk when I built this thing!! Redid everything, mounted the pumps with socks a 1/2 in off the bottom, rewired with 12 gauge wire (previous was 18 gauge trailer wires), and we should now be good to go.

After all this-I have been driving her around well on pump gas. This week also I was asked to bring the car down for a magazine shoot at the shop that painted the car.

Old girl shines up nice! Last things before they next dyno session is a plug change )still on last years plugs) wire in my 2 stage boost controller, and address cooling. Temp still creeps too 210 deg. I miss the AL block!!

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:05 pm 
Some call me a god

Latest update. F in' traction! I have had a set of Mickey ET Pro's I picked up used for cheap a while ago, but the forum says they won’t fit, and just holding them in the well...I didn’t see how it was possible. I had them sold, but decided to toss them on a stock RX-7 Vert wheel (real BBS Meshie) just to see. Well WTF........

I guess you can believe everything your read on the net! This is with the same small spacer I was running. I had to jack up the suspension for it, but I have a cunt hair everywhere. I chalked the fender and control arms and took it for a rip to see if it rubbed.

Just barley kisses the control arm (on heavy braking only), and the plastic ground effects on the outside.

So I decided to be safe (and maybe give me room for a 295) I would notch the inner control arm. Now I have at least 1.5 inch on the inside.

Hol-ee-fuk- what a difference a tire makes. I think I am getting closer to my original goal of driving to the track, running a 9, and driving home!

Here is some "traction testing" against a mid 9's @ 155 modded liter bike. I am on pump gas boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjOizB0iPdk

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:58 am 
2nd Banana

Damn, dude. That thing looks bad ass!

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:46 am 
Some call me a god

Thanks!!

Major updates.....lets start at the top.

First, the on3 turbo unfortunately locked up. Went out for some runs with local big HP cars and the car made NO boost (after being fine on the drive there). I thought an IC pipe blew off. Get back to the spot, all the pipes are on and tight. Huh....check the trubo-100% locked up! Fak. I cant recall ever seeing a turbo lock up like this that was getting good oil. Oil pressure was fine- I drove 20 miles home full NA-even ran someone NA to be a dick :). Still have to do some trouble shooting to see what happened-but she gon'

But as luck would have it-I found an "unknown" turbo on C list. Guy thought it was Ebay, after asking fro some pics and a video of it spinning, I know it was legit. I wont post what I paid for it so no one sends me anthrax LOL, but here is whats going on the car, a REAL Garrett GT4780R.

Not after pulling the crossover off-I am SHOCKED the car worked at all!! both Wastegates had MAJOR issues.

Lets start here- the Feed for gate 1

When I boost leak checked gate 2, air came out of the top hole (WTF) and the bottom around the valve on the outside of the gate. Again...WTF?

There is supposed to be set screws in there to attach the diaphragm tot he piston. Not only will it not work without these, but it now has a path for air to escape-going to the upper chamber of the gate and out. This is how it came out of the box.

All screws where loose, and only was literally just laying there. This allowed air to also escape out of the bottom of the gate. So, this side not only didn’t work, was a massive boost leak, but likely was cracked opened to some extent at all times.

So gate 2 was sealed up but worked like crap. It was super sticky- would hold open and slowly close even with no pressure on it. I took it all apart and lubed the shaft, works much better now.

I am always happy to find and fix issues that will improve the car, but a bit down that I feel I may not have given On3's new Billet 88mm a true test. I could not get more than 22-23psi, out of it, and not I know it was 100% not the turbo’s fault. The turbo did great for having a massive, and I mean ridiculous boost leak, and non functioning leaking wastegates.

Lets see how the car behaves with WORKING gates, and a smaller “big name” turbo.

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:43 pm 
Some call me a god

Got the turbo on. Also a correction, its a GT4508r.

The downpipe just about bolted up as is-its a hair lose due to the difference in the size of the V band but its good enough for me. :) I made a standard 3.5 inch V band I had laying around from an old down pipe work for the turbo outlet.

Bridged the gap b/w 3 and 3.5 inch with the China Mig, then hit it with the belt sander to make sure it was flat

Gooped on a good amount of RTV and let it set. Sealed up great!

Oil drain basically bolted up. Oil feed line was just a hair short, but I didn't feel like spending any money on a new one. So I came up with this glorious piece. Pieced together the water lines in the same fashion. BAM! done

Took the car out to make some test hits, and test the gates in various combinations of clammped and working to see hwo the car reacts.

First impressions, holy fruit and banana. Butt Dyno says the car is making more power than it ever has with any combo. Seeing 10psi as early as 3500rpm in 4th. 20psi produced pretty violent tire shake in 4th. The car has NEVER done this on these tires, ever. Boost recovery is instantaneous. Also in testing what max boost may be- I saw 25psi with the needle flying to buried when I lifted. fruit and banana.

Still sucks that I dont think I ever gave the On3 a good chance to work with all the wastegate issues, but I will be happy to revisit that turbo at a later date. For now-this girl is a bad bitch. May be on the Dyno Aug 6th time permitting after I am done tuning cars for the DSM Shootout, and should be on track some time in 3 weeks for Shootout weekend.

Stay tuned....

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I finally got to read most of your build JP. Too bad I missed it at the Shootout.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:25 pm 
Some call me a god

No worries! I was only there Friday with the car, and sunday for a few hours to spectate. Im sire she will be ther enext year :)

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:45 am 
Some call me a god

With finishing the house, moving, work, and 2 young kids taking up most of my time, the Rx-7 got limited track use on the back half of the year.

Any time I had to drive it I typlically hopped in, beat the piss out of it, and came home. The track events really sucked this year. Plauged with bad luck

DSM shootout. Got ONE pass in 6 hours due to oil downs and rain. 14psi. 10.9 @145. 2.1 60 ft on the shake down. Turned it up, never made another pass.

Track rental. Made ZERO full passes all day. First pass, my pinion snubber broke in the burnout box, and I grenaded the diff. I brought a spare diff with me. Installed it, and it was JUNK out of the box. Great!!! Another waste of a day.

So I caved and tossed a turbo II rear end back in the car which I have been avoiding because I know I will have to get back into 5th gear again. Rear end worked flawelssly on some test hits, and the car had enough steam to roll on a modded S1000 R with a 140lbs rider at only 17psi. Party time.

So I make it to the last test and tune for the year at Norwalk. Of course there is a million people there. The first bad sign- I stoped for plugs at Vatozone and they were out of 7's. Mind you, I had NOT changed plugs all year so altough the car was running good, I wanted a freash set to go after that 9.

So test hit-car leaves good and easy. 1.6 60 foot click high boost set at 20psi in 3rd, and car breaks up. Try and pedal the boost down, and it breaks up in all of 4th, and 5th. OYE. Let of, fruit and banana thing ran a 10.1@13x. Seriously FML.

Take the time to change plugs, and get back in line. 4 hours later then when I get there, and it starts to F'in drizzle. STOP IT. gets rained out!!!

So in the weeks after I drove the car to work a few times, and took it to a few car shows. Had some friends over and took it to get some Pizza. It was about 40 deg out and it was just a spin fest to 180mph with 25psi. On the way home, the motor developed a tick. I noticed the oil pressure a little low, so I hung it up for the year. Once I get the garage set up, I'll dive in and see what, if anything, happened. I think it may be time for a rear end upgrade though, because the car depseratly needs a 3.27 gear.

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:57 am 
2nd Banana

Why not put an 8.8 in it or something? You'd have a lot more choices for gear ratios. Super bad ass car, either way!

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus