4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:34 pm 

Been lacking on the updates. Havent been to productive lately between work, it getting down in the single digits and being sick. So lately since its been slow ive been researching alot because you can never know to much. The initial plan was to put new main and rod bearings in the block and have the head redone and call it a day. Well a friend of mine pulled out the #1 piston while trying to get the rod bearing half out while my back was turned. Now i could have just put it back in and probably been fine but i didnt see the piston ring orientation when it came out since the rings are seated to the block in a certain orientation. That combined with the estimated mileage of around 140K on the motor i have decided to go ahead and take it to the next level. This will now be a rods and pistons bottom end with the cylinder head plans staying the same of just having it redone. Being that the block is getting "built" It makes more sense to build it right the first time. The block is going to be built to handle 750HP at the wheels. I already have pistons on the way but im still shopping on the connecting rods. The cylinder head will be getting low mileage Evo 8 lifters, valvesprings, and retainers for now. I will change cams and valvesprings later on down the road.

DSPORT had a back issue that was all about engine building and came with a extra Engine Blueprinting guide. I had this before but misplaced it so i ordered another. Its Issue 105 August 2011 for anyone that wants to know. I will be using the guide for my build.

Oh and BTW.
Pistons are here. :o :o :o

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:03 am 
CSM Junkie

I love an engine build. Cant wait to get to mine this spring. Im going to be watching very closely

Keane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:33 pm 

If you dont have one of these i suggest investing in one. Best tool in the garage outside of a lift. Takes about 6-7 minutes to heat the garage to 72 then kicks on once every 30 minutes for about 2-3 minutes and maintains the heat well. I love this thing!

Didnt get a whole lot accomplished. But i did get out there and get to a stopping point. I checked the valves to see where my leaks were just to see if my diagnosis is correct and how bad the rest of the head was. I also inspected the oil pump.
Here is the oil pump gears and housing. You can see a little wear on the housing. This isnt a big issue as this motor didnt have oil issues nor did it eat a bearing. However the pump gears will be replaced as well as the cover to keep it fresh. No since in risking it with a motor of this caliber.

Checking for leaking valves. You flip the head over and fill the combustion chamber with fluid(water/fuel). I used Diesel. Let it sit and the seepy valves will show themselves. One other thing you can do is blow air up into the port and it might bubble around the seats but im not that concerned being i know this head is getting redone and im not just trying to reuse it.

Chambers filled

Cyl 1 Intake/Exhaust Ports
ImageImage

Cyl 2 Intake/Exhaust Ports
ImageImage

Cyl 3 Intake/Exhaust Ports
ImageImage

Cyl 4 Intake/Exhaust Ports
ImageImage

Loss from Cyl 2

Ill leave you all with this.

Rods are on the way along with headstuds. Once that comes in its going to the machine shop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:51 pm 

Got the radio fixed in the actual car. I bought it with a radio that used to work but didnt anymore. Radio harness was all jacked up. Got all that sorted out.
Got the headstuds and the rods in. It will be going to the machine shop next weekend or the weekend after.