4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:35 pm 
Some call me a god

Tinkered with it some this morning, it runs perfect when first started then it starts acting up after warmed. First I pulled the maf and sprayed it with cleaner, still the same. Then I realized exactly what it was and usually always is,...famous Mitsubishi ECU random symptoms. Sure enough I pulled it apart and one of the caps is leaking slightly, surprised to see it's been rebuilt once before. I sprayed it with the maf cleaner and it pulled up some of the electronic glue, hope that doesn't affect it.

Other than the stumbling, it runs flawlessly with a little exhaust leak. No weird rattles or sounds, the trans shifts smooth and the ac is ICE cold!

There's two sides to every coin though. Here is the rust hole under the drivers side foot space. :(

It hasn't made it all the way into the cabin yet so I need to get on it asap.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:43 pm 
Some call me a god

Replaced the bad capacitor and it is still loading up and misfiring. I think the tps maybe bad, not sure if it would cause this issue. It runs awesome cold then when she is warm it will not take a heavy load, only slight throttle?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:10 pm 

Wonder if its heat related since the problem starts when its warmed up? Distributor maybe?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:33 pm 
CSM Junkie

maybe a faulty water temp sensor? could be a bunch of things. this type of problem is very difficult to solve blind guessing, and very easy to find when you can log sensors.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:39 pm 
Some call me a god

Tps tested ok, not sure where to look next. Maybe the pump strainer is clogged? But why would it be able to supply fuel and run perfect above 3k rpm? When past that point the gas can be allied fast.

I also got around to removing those old stickers. Next up is a total bath in degreaser.

My Galant lent it's font tag for transportation purposes. :yawinkle:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:57 pm 
Some call me a god

I'm way out of loop on the old logging stuff, is tmo or some kind of logger compatible with the Expo?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:25 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I am loving the expo

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD
3 KIDS, FUTURE FIANCE, AND CAR ADDICTION

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:51 am 
Some call me a god

After actually reading the title the car is in fact a early 92 production making it a 92. :) I was wondering why it had the 1g style ecu plugs, now does this make it easier to swap?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:02 am 

I don't think there's a wagon out there that's easy to swap as far as wiring goes. Wire in a dsm harness or take the factory harness completely apart and re-pin.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:07 am 
Some call me a god

So after a quick visit to rockauto I got a dist cap, rotor button, wires, plugs, pcv valve, air filter, valve cover gasket and trans filter for under 55 dollars shipped! I installed everything but the trans filter(more on that later) and set base timing which was off. Runs waaaaay better but the car still has the weird misfire/hesitation when I drive it for a good while. It starts to surge a bit then it will bog down with any load eventually. Thing is when I start to notice it I can put it into and neutral shut off the car let it coast a second and fire it right back up. After that it run fine for awhile then repeat the same thing? I think the distributor may be going, is this a symptom of the internal coil heating up and starting to go?

Next on the list for things to do is replacing the rear diff and t case fluids. I also want to replace the trans filter and fluid but have heard that flushing an older trans is a no no and to just replace the fluid lost in the filter change? Any truths to that or is it ok to do a full flush?

I decided to bathe the whole thing in mean green today and boy did it make a difference! Next up on the appearance list is gonna be a hard fought battle with the stained front and rear seats, and to paint the rusty wipers and faded trim. :rolleyes:

Haven't decided on a tag so I borrowed the Galant's tags. :partyman:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:04 pm 
Some call me a god

Little update on some progress. It had a ton of little exhaust leaks here and there so I went to the parts store and bought a bunch of pipe to delete the leaking cat and holy resonator. My buddy did all the welding and he did a pretty damn good job for the material he had to use. Other than a little rasp at higher rpm it was still quite pleasant sounding. That night on the way home on the interstate it started to act up and I smashed the gas and it backfired. Let me tell you it scared the ever loving crap out of me and I had thought for sure it just blew up! After throwing it into neutral I quickly noticed it was still running but really f'ing loud now. :lol: This was the outcome, straight pipe to muffler did not like that backfire.

I had to get to the bottom of the bogging situation so after buying a really cheap fuel pump off ebay for 13.99 shipped the car ran perfect! In keeping with the el cheapo theme I also got a 55.00 distributor from ebay that I didn't even end up needing and just sent back. I still need to do a trans flush and address the rust issues before winter hits. Other than that I cleaned the seats up pretty well and the thing just drives way better than I would have ever expected it to. My buddy and I also put a new muffler on the car from something he had lying around, it looks like a tractor muffler? To pep it up in appearance a little we cut a collector down and flipped to achieve a horn like tip. :finga:

I also found out the weight of it without carpet, back seat and about a half tank of gas.

The car is pointing in all the right directions for a swap, check out the eprom TCU.

The next thing I really want to do is have a bull bar/light bar made for the front of it. It sounds silly but I think a more rally style type bar would make the front end look more aggressive. I have NOT seen another stateside with one on it, the RVR Sports Gear versions across seas aren't bad but are a little too much for my taste though. I purchased some sweet "JDM Yo" fog lights to mount to the bar when I get it made sometime soon. These are real deal Mitsubishi lights with "Mitsubishi" cages on them for super bonus points. :axe: I just sat them on the bumper the other day just to get an idea of a possible mounting location.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:47 pm 

Glad to hear you fixed the problem! Here are some pics I saved from back when I had my wagon. Always wanted to mount some lights up front as well. Also I haven't forgot your parts, just haven't made it back to that particular yard yet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:41 am 

damn u all LOL.. i need to get my mirage running better so I can sell it or trade it for a 92 expo.. ii really want one badly.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:26 pm 
Some call me a god

My friend just picked up a fwd 95 Talon tsi, this car is gonna be converted to awd drag car. This leaves me with a free seven bolt motor and all its components and a spare turbo auto harness to go with it. I want to tear into the the swap asap but I'm unsure of some wiring troubles that may lay ahead. I'm sure I can find a 95 turbo dsm wiring diagram, but l does anyone have a 92 Expo fsm readily available? Other than the ecu's plug number being the same as a 1g the Van looks to be all 2g style electronics.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:01 pm 
CSM Junkie

service manuals are all over ebay for cheap. worth it for wire diagrams alone

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next