4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:48 pm 

I haven't updated this thread in quite a while but I have made some progress on the Summit.

Stock front brakes:

All torn down ready for pressure washing:

After a fresh coat of satin black, some zinc/slotted 276mm mini cooper rotors and a pair of twin piston calipers:

Stock vs. Mini Cooper rotor:

Stock rear:

my custom bracket:

zinc/slotted 259mm rear mini cooper rotors:

1g fwd dsm rear caliper bracket, calipers will go on tomorrow:

stock 13/16" MC vs. 3g Eclipse 1-1/16" MC

Custom seat bracket to mount 2001 Honda Civic front seats:

Still need to mount the driver's side seat, it's just sitting in there at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:50 pm 

nice man.. ill be getting those brackets from u within the next few months... and lovely carpet lol...

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:50 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Good progress! what kind of engine setup it's coming to this gem?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:57 pm 

Quote:
nice man.. ill be getting those brackets from u within the next few months... and lovely carpet lol...
Steve

The original carpet was shot and smelled like ass :lol: . I'll be working on the roof rust this winter cutting out the supports, cleaning them up, treating the rust and welding them back in. Once that is done I'll just get a new one. Thinking about going with black interior anyway.
Quote:
Good progress! what kind of engine setup it's coming to this gem?

I'm not 100% sure on this one just yet. I'm thinking about getting a 7 bolt 2.4 from a 94-98 Galant and tossing on a DOHC head. Figure it'll be good for 160hp or so which will be a nice step up from the 91 or so that it has now. Want to get it looking good and stopping good first though, plenty of time to deal with the engine in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:35 pm 

I ended up getting a deal that I couldn't refuse on a 95 Galant 4G64 engine locally on Craigslist. It was a running engine but I still decided to tear it down and replace the rings and bearings. Got it for $125

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:45 pm 

I modded my shifter assembly with a 1g dsm shifter. Just had to notch the bottom a bit for it to clear. Shifts much better now. Now I just need to find a good carpet and install my interior. The previous owner(s) were smokers and it stunk so bad I had to remove it.
[image]http://www.galantvr4.org/img.php?id=153493&width=400[/image]
[image]http://www.galantvr4.org/img.php?id=153494&width=400[/image]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:01 pm 

Looks good so far Chris! As always, I can't wait to see what becomes of this little monster. 170 HP or so should be good and make this little thing much more fun on the streets. I really wish that I had half of your knowledge and ambition/budget that you put into your builds. BTW, that Outlander is really nice and it's good to see that you're sticking with the family (Mitsu). I'm kind of the bastard child that isn't too biased when it comes to manufacturer (I won't buy a Ford though...eww too many bad experiences).
I do have to say that I've been reading over the forum at Dseries.org because my love affair with Hondas will never end. I miss my old 1.5 SOHC VTEC swapped 92 4 door. But Lord knows that I miss my Pap's old 92 Colt even more. Hopefully someone is putting it to good use.
Anyway, it's really good to see that you've still got the magic touch and you haven't lost the "itch" that I seem to have lost. I'm toying with the idea of a 6 speed manual 2.7 Sonata but I can't even keep up with my current bills so the Hyundai is set on the back burner for now.
Good to see that you're doing so well. Cheers buddy!
-Rob

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:31 pm 

Hey Rob, good to see you on here again! This car gets very little love but I like to have something to tinker on. If I keep it long enough I would love to repaint it and have it look nice again. As always, the budget for me on projects is pretty low too, we're always working on the house and it seems there is always something waiting to take my extra cash. Not to mention that I'm constantly pulling parts or working on someone else's car so that leaves little time for my own stuff.

We're really enjoying the Outlander Sport and have put close to 10k miles on it so far. No real problems other than the volume knob on the Rockford Fosgate head unit that Mitsubishi took care of under the 36k warranty with no questions asked. I really want an Evo but the higher payment, insurance and 93 octane make me steer away from it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:25 am 

Yeah, we could ALL use some more money without having to pay it back or worry about how we're going to replace it. But I suppose that it's life and all we can do is suck it up and keep on moving.
Sarah and the boys and I are doing well. Conner is in preschool and he'll be starting kindergarten later in the year and Caleb will be two on Saint Patrick's Day. Still no full words or sentences from him but he's getting there. He watches me play Xbox and yells, "Go Daddy!," but that's about it. He just makes noises and points but he understands what you say to him. I first joined this forum before Sarah was pregnant with Conner and I had ALOT of fun here with all of you guys. It wouldn't be right for me to not come back every once in a while and see if y'all are still doing well. 4g61t is my home away from home. I still miss my cars, but I know where I belong and my heart's still here. I met a lot of good friends here and if I was able to help anyone then I would say that I accomplished my goal.
Anyway, like I said, I'm happy to see that you're still kicking and having fun. Your builds always give me some motivation to get my lifelong project done (my truck). Hope everything is going good for you bud.

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:59 am 
The happy administrator

I remember you posting about first having a kid all those years ago!^ You should swing by more often. :butthead:

Nice Chris, I'm jealous. it's been a real cold winter up here, haven't been able to do much other than sit in the house and twiddle my thumbs. I did manage to nearly throw my new 455 together up through fall, just gotta wrap up the valvetrain, intake and throw it in.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:30 am 

Man time flies, 2.5 years since my last update on this beast. As most remember, this kinda got pushed to the side when I found a super clean, low mileage colt hatch with a bad engine. Well that project was completed and later sold. I took a small break from the car thing and just lurked around some of the forums. Like we all do I recently got the itch to tinker on something and decided to start back on this car. I basically stripped it to a shell. Sold the engine and trans to two different members on here to get their cars up and running. Sold the wheels/tires on CL and gave the civic seats to a buddy who put them in his Ranger. The used 2.4 was a donor for my colt. This gave me a clean slate.

I decided to do a little something different and went with the sedan front end conversion. I found an aftermarket hood for $150 shipped so I ordered it. There weren't any decent ones in the yards. I also got a shorty lancer bumper from otocarparts in Israel on Ebay for $125 shipped. I had my sedan fenders still in the corner of the shed from my 95 sedan project that I parted years ago so I mounted the hood and merged the coupe and sedan fender together. They still need a little work but are pretty close.

Imageuploading images

Imageimag

Imageimage upload no limit

Imagephoto host

Imageuploading pictures

Quick mockup with one fender done

Imageimage upload no limit

I picked up some cheap evo camber plates, just need to drill the strut towers and mount them.

Imageupload pic

Some goodies from the junkyard. LS side moldings

Imagehost image

gas door w/o key lock and cables and also the trunk release

Imagefree upload image

I found a 97 Galant with a manual trans, kinda rare. It mounts like a 2g fwd turbo trans and has the larger bell housing and stepped turbo flywheel. It uses the smaller inner axle splines as well so a new set of 4g LS axles should slide right in and work perfect. I grabbed the matching shifter and cables too. $75 and a bunch of sweat and dirt later it was mine.

Imageclick image upload

Imageuploading pictures

After the usual degreaser bath and a scrub down

Imageimage hosting no register

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:45 pm 
CSM Junkie

this is cool

Keane

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:30 am 

Looking good Chris, looks good with that Mirage Sedan front end, kinda curious on the weight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:45 pm 

Btw I still have my Old 94 Galant DOHC ECU which I think will be bolt on in this 4g

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:01 am 

From what I understand the 4g coupe is a little lighter than the 3g hatch, not sure how much though. I'm actually going turbo this time around with a low mileage 13g that I have. I also have a non eprom 2g turbo ecu and engine harness too. I know a 13g isn't the best match by far to the 2.4 but its in perfect shape and I already have it. Plus I can always upgrade later on down the road.

If you look closely on the fender that I merged you can see it looks a little funky in the wheel opening in one spot. It needs a little more attention in that area. I'll get it worked out though.

I'd really like to do a sedan rear end conversion too. Don't think its ever been done. That would be quite a bit of work though. I'd have to graft in part of the trunk as well. Would be cool though.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next