4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:11 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Here is the best time slip from my test and tune session last sunday. Launch was at 2000rpm so 60ft is pretty terrible. Even with the restalled converter, the brake can not hold the car back. I could not do burn out either since the brake is too weak. The slicks slip a bit at the end of 1st gear. The tach needle never left 7500rpm after each shift. The gear change was so quick, the car did not jerk at all. In another slip, the car did 112mph with a 7.6et.

I recent went to an automatic transmission. The tranny has the Kiggly's 5 discs front clutch pack, IPT end clutch, translab valve body kit, B&M Pro Ratchet shifter, and restalled stock converter. The car made 400hp and 317tq on the dyno last week with this auto swap. That are about 150hp and 150tq less than with the manual. Yike! I did not do the valve body mod when I dynoed it so it might be slipping the clutches inside due to not enough line pressure. I am not sure and will be heading back to dyno soon to see for sure. The run at the track was with the valve body mod. After reading about similar lost in power and torque, I believe it is the restalled torque converter that is sucking up all the power and torque. According to what I read, restalling the stock converter cause it to be less efficient. Most non locking torque converter can only transfer 90% of engine tq to the tranny. A poorly restall or poorly design converter can transfer even less than 90%. I believe my restalled torque converter is on the ultra low efficient zone. If the slipping clutches is not to blame, I will switch back to a bone stock converter and redyno. I am hoping to gain back at lease 50-70hp and tq which might put me in the high to mid 6s 1/8 mile.

I also want to step down to a smaller turbo to run with the stock converter so if anyone want to buy a near mint gt35r, please let me know.

Last edited by dr2.0 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:17 am 

i ran a 65 shots off the line to spool the turbo. even with a 65shots, i was only able to dyno 312tq and 470hp at 8000rpm. clutches slipping or tc is sucking up all the torque. we will see soon on the dyno soon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:05 am 
Some call me a god

112mph in 1/8 is FAST! Average car gains roughly 30mph.from.1/8 to 1/4 mile.

I'm excited to see how my awd does with a similar Turbo.

What converter is it? Who re stalled it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:01 am 
CSM Junkie

How are you maxing line pressure?

'17 Fiesta ST

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:31 am 
Some call me a god

Dan, have you read kigglys site about the valve body mods? That helps along with a nice shift kit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:08 pm 

I got a stock 11" converter restalled by a company calls Transmission Part Unlimited in the Atlanta area. They never did one for a dsm before so mine was an experiment. They said I can take it back and they will rework it for free if I am not satisfy with it. I might give them one more try.

The way you increase the line pressure is to turn the adjustment for the line pressure valve on the valve body counter clock wise. What this does is preload the spring on the line pressure valve. http://kigglyracing.com/tech/valvebody.htm

Kiggly did not say it but the manual said to turn the adjustment for reducing pressure valve counter clock wise to increase the reducing pressure too.

Increase the line pressure and reducing pressure to the max are suppose to maximize the clamping force on the clutch according to Kiggly.

When I did the valve body mod, I had to fix a hole in each separator plate because it was beat up by the check ball. I kinda warped the plates in the process. 2 am mind set and a torch is to blame. I will order new separators this week and redo everything.

I really want to go quicker without going faster. I am a chicken. lol. It was not fun going into the sand trap and getting kick off track last year because I got on the brake too late. I did win fastest of the night give certificate for going 135mph (no nitrous and only 20psi).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:12 pm 
CSM Junkie

Yes I have and plan to go down that path, however I'm still on the junkyard auto and haven't noticed any slippage. I had Dave K do the TCU eprom, it's the lazy way to do it - just mash the gas.

'17 Fiesta ST

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:57 am 

i have aem and was not sure if it can out put the right signal for the tcu. i have a harness and tcu too. i like the smash and go method too. it is the best way. might go that route one day.

dan. do you have the oem 4 bolts rear disc brakes from your turbo model? I like to have the set up if you or anyone you know have them sitting around. i like to setup a full line lock system but i don't want to rely on the drum brake.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:48 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Yes I have and plan to go down that path, however I'm still on the junkyard auto and haven't noticed any slippage. I had Dave K do the TCU eprom, it's the lazy way to do it - just mash the gas.
You might as well do the mods to that trans if its a solid trans. There's a ton of cars in the 9s on a stock trans with the valve body mods and end.clutch kit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:14 am 
CSM Junkie

Thoai, if I remember correctly, the TCU doesn't need anything from the ECU. Here is some info I used:
http://www.vadsm.com/muscle/tech/tcuharness.html

I run megasquirt and it works well. My is car is a turbo car w/ the rear discs, I don't have an extra set. You probably need a vacuum pump.

What jets are you running on the zex kit? What at the ports and what at the junction block? I'm trying to figure out why mine runs so rich.

John, good idea. I've been working about 80hrs a week so I haven't even see my car in almost 2 months...maybe this summer.

'17 Fiesta ST

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:10 pm 

thanks dan. i been to that site plenty of time. it is a great site. i been thinking about doing a write up on auto install into a csm. i like to see csm's representing at the track with an auto.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:28 pm 

Quote:
thanks dan. i been to that site plenty of time. it is a great site. i been thinking about doing a write up on auto install into a csm. i like to see csm's representing at the track with an auto.
that would be a good idea.. I had to piece mine together from researching diff sites...

what trans mount to frame did you use? I ended up useing a stock csm auto one that I had when I first got the car.. others modify a dsm one but I dont have the tools to do that. (soon tho lol)

ill give any info I can to help with your writeup if needed..just ask.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:11 pm 

nice, id like to see some pics of the car