4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 1991 Dodge Colt
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:11 pm 

Since this is my first post here on 4G61T, I won't be short and sweet. I've been into DSMs for some time now. Owned a 1994 Mitsu Eclipse 4G37 and currently own a 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. But what gets me is the base models. The underdogs. Love 'em. There's just something about taking a slower car perform well. And that's what this thread, for me, will be about.
So let's get down to business. My girlfriend told me that she has a 1991 Plymouth Colt sitting in her yard that hasn't run in five years and it's something she'd like to get going again. Of course, this sparked my interest as I've seen Colts/Mirages running around with 4G63Ts in their engine bays. But that's besides the point. First thing's first; fix it. It does need a bit of work, but not as much as I thought it would. From the normal full tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, engine oil, transmission fluid, brakes, and so on and so forth) it will certainly be a good project right away, and take some time to fix as such. But there's the fun in it of course.
I've gone through the posts about upgrading the throttle body, injectors, MAF, and ECU with 4G37 parts. The standard free-mods (hack the air can, remove power steering/A/C if applicable, port matching the TB to the intake manifold and intake manifold to head, etc.) I haven't yet taken a full look at the MAF in the '15, but I'm assuming, besides sensors, that it's a spitting image of the '37's MAF. This being said, I'll give a MAF hack a try (removing the two tubes, not the honey comb part) and see how that does. Did it to the '37, though there was no notable difference considering the engine wouldn't be able to outflow the MAF hacked or not. If someone's done it and seen negative results, I'll definitely not do it.
So, that's about it. The Colt will end up being her DD and my project car. Ta-da!

Post subject: Re: 1991 Dodge Colt
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:28 pm 
Some call me a god

Welcome to the forum, and yes the MAF looks just like the 1.8L DSM MAF.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:29 pm 
CSM Junkie

Welcome to the board. As posted above the 1.8l MAF looks very similar to the 1.5L.

Also, if interested, I have a full set-up for the 1.8L goodies swap (as well as some 1.5L tune-up parts ;) )

-Shawn

MEMBER #1495

'92 Dodge Colt 63 swap (SOLD)
'92 Galant VR-4 (it's Alive!!)
'12 Forester (DD)
GONE:
'92 Plymouth Colt 12v 4M->5M
'90 Dodge Colt GL 8v 3A
'89 Plymouth Colt 8v 5M
'92 Galant LS
'92 Galant GSR
'93 Galant LS
'93 Galant S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:58 pm 

I might take you up on that when the time comes. But for now, it's still sitting in her back yard and far from getting the parts necessary. Should be up and running sometime in the next month or two, that is if everything goes according to plan.
Anyway, it's good to see that the 1.5 does get some love.
I've done a bit of searching on Google and on the forum, but haven't found anything about springs, other than a coil being cut to lower it (which I really disagree with). Has there ever been springs available? or possible swap from an earlier/later generation? I'm not entirely sure about the suspension set up with the Colt, whether or not it's coilover or separate spring and shock. And, speaking of handling, strut tower bars, sway bar(s) (rear is fixed I assume).
As for the ECU and fuel tuning, what are the options? A'Pexi SAFC or are there different things that we can use (besides MegaSquirt/AEM EMS)? If I go the A'Pexi SAFC route (got the original with the knobs) which is what will most likely happen, has anyone found any pros or cons with brand of WBO2 sensor they use?
My goal for the car is to beef up the engine a little bit, after doing the necessary compression and vacuum tests, using '37 parts and a little ingenuity. But the long run I'd like to make this car quite nimble. After all, it's quite small, so I'd like to get it to handle like a go-kart.
Besides badging, are there huge differences between the USDM spec Mirage/Colts and the Canadian Mirages/Colts?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:07 pm 
Some call me a god

There are a crap ton of different Colts and Mirages depending on where you are looking. The Canadians, Brits, Aussies, Kiwis and Japs all got totally different junk than what we have in the States.

There were springs made specifically for these cars once upon a time. I doubt you will be able to find a set now though. There are a lot of threads discussing spring and strut selection with these cars and they basically all say the same thing: there is no "best" solution.

As strut tower braces go; be sure to get or make quality pieces that will not flex themselves. The Yoshifab front strut brace is made well and should fit your needs nicely. A rear brace will definitely help out a base model car as well but you may have to make one yourself.

Good luck and take some pics!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:21 am 

I figured as such about all the differences between everything. Did some light reading on Wiki and it didn't give me any real valuable information; vague at best. Is there a 'VFAQ' out there for the Colts/Mirages, or is it more along the lines of search-search-search?

I'll give the front strut tower bar a check. As for the rear, it would have to be made then, but I'm not known to weld, so that'll definitely be third party (good thing this is a hick town; welding machines are more prevalent than people). Getting one designed and built shouldn't be a problem, but having it look halfway decent will be. lol

Springs will definitely be a problem, aside from stock, which is just no good in my opinion. Something about that handling and stance comes to mind.

As a side note, if you all are interested, there was a guy on 4G37Tuners/DSM1Eights that used to do custom fabrication for the 4G37: sheet metal intake manifolds, turbo manifolds in log style, ram style, and equal length along with downpipes. He had a website with all of his information, prices and so on www.RPFabrications.com, though I'm not sure as to whether or not he's still doing them (made a turbo'd 4G37 by himself). You might still be able to get a hold of him on MySpace or through the forum http://www.4G37Tuners.com. His screen name is redline6k. Had very decent prices to boot.

On the engine side of the '15, are there any swappable or aftermarket parts for underdriven pulleys? or does that not play a huge factor?
If I read correctly, the 12 valve engine is an interference motor?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:55 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

no VFAQ, but we're a pretty helpful bunch around here, so if you can't find something searching, just ask, i'm sure one of us will have an answer for you :)

i've spent the last 4 years autocrossing a 1.5L sedan, and making these cars go fast in base trim is fairly hard. after the 1.8L goodies it's all little shit here and there to try and get something out of that poor little motor. it's not difficult to make them handle well, but getting them to get up and MOVE after turning a corner is a bit more difficult without an engine swap.

B&G still makes a set of lowering springs for our cars(part number is 60.1.020), and Ground Control sleeves are available too(get them for a 1G DSM w/whatever springs rates you want). KYB has GR2s for us as well, and Koni used to make their yellow adjustable struts and shocks for CSMs but i checked their site, and it doesn't look like they don't produce the rear shocks anymore, just the front strut inserts. there are adjustable coil-overs setups that can be adapted, some easier than others, but i couldn't tell you which ones off the top of my head other than the GC sleeves.

for a rear upper strut bar, a 2G DSM rear bar bolts in.

the only real engine upgrade parts are the 4G37 bits that were already mentioned(throttle body, MAF, ECU, injectors), and they do actually make quite a difference. quicker throttle response, and a little more grunt in the bottom end.

and yes, the 12V engine is interference.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:37 am 

I'm beginning to think that you're all more than just a little helpful. Thanks quite a bit. Anyone given thought to making a VFAQ somewhere as a quick reference when all else is lost?
Good to know about the 2G DSM rear strut bar and the spring set up. As for poly bushings, I'm sure that they're all going to have to be universals? Ran to Prothane and Energy Suspension's websites and couldn't come up with anything there. Unless there's a small company that makes poly bushings out there, I assume that it's going to have to be universal stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:28 pm 

Welcome to the forum! You will also quickly learn that the big brother to our cars is the 92-95 Hyundai Elantra. You'd never know by looking at one but it seems they borrowed the design from Mitsubishi back in their early years.

Oh yeah, if your woman has a colt sitting around she's a keeper. :P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:08 pm 

Good ol' Mitsu. Always sharing their designs (Genesis 2.0T anyone?)
She's also gotta 2G Colt sitting just ahead of the 3G Colt. G15B. Don't know if the trans would mate up if the one in the 3G takes a dump, but it could be a small parts stealer car anyway (odds and ends mostly from the engine).
Next time I'm up at her place I'll snag some pictures of them. They're in rough shape, but it's mostly cosmetic I hope. Engine in the 3G is in pretty decent looking condition. Internals could be something else, but from what the oil is telling me, there's no metal wear in the bottom half. Should be a good runner once she gets up and going.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:19 pm 
Some call me a god

After 5 years of sitting you can definatly add an ecu to that list of tune up parts. You know mitsu and their trusty capacitors. :ANAL:

2016 ram 1500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:34 pm 

I take it the capacitors in the '15 ECU are prone to leaking as well? I had heard from her brother that the ECU may be bad, but he's not much of a mechanic. But that did come to mind. Welp, time to break out the soldering iron and nab up some new capacitors...or just get a '37 ECU and supporting mods.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:08 pm 
Some call me a god

The base model Colts kill ECUs as often as they can. It is worse than with 1G DSMs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:47 pm 

Wonderful. Well, here comes a bit more money out of the pocket. Shouldn't be too big of a problem though. The '37 ECUs are pretty cheap in comparison to an EEPROM '63 ECU.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:34 am 

Well, here's what I'm working with. Finally got to get back up to the car and snap some pictures yesterday.

She certainly is going to need a lot of work of course, and the interior's going to be ripped out (still up in the air about replacing the carpeting with some good stuff or just laying down a thin layer of Rhino Liner in the front and not worrying about the rear).
Mind you, she's been sitting for five years with a smashed passenger side window, but even with that, there doesn't seem to be too much damage to the interior (even the dash hasn't been cracked, which I hear that's a rarity for these). Even with all the elements in Minnesota (-30* to 90*, snow, rain, heavy winds, etc.) I think the car as a whole held up pretty good.
Forgot to nab some pictures of the engine bay, which I wish I would have. But it is in better condition than I thought. Valve cover, block, and most of it is still in some pretty good shine, no apparent fraying of wires due to mice and so forth.