4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:32 am 

after looking around here for ideas on breaks and not finding anything thought i would make a topic on it. what kind of brakes do you guys use and what is it made of? i was thinking of just getting some Semi-Metallic break pads but i heard that it can wear out the rotors too on some cars. is this a bad materiel to use on the stock rotors or should it be fine?
sorry if there is a topic in another section on this but i looked about everywhere i could think of before making this. thanks for advice.

i have 94 mirage BTW if need to know that.

Last edited by james42519 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:45 pm 
2nd Banana

Semi-Metallics make a lot of noise and produce a lot of dust, but generally offer decent braking performance. With a Mirage you're limited to whatever you can find, so you'll probably be stuck with semi-metallics or organics. Ceramic pads work well for noise and dust, but usually fade pretty easily under hard braking. I run PBR Metal Master pads on my Mirage front and rear, and so far so good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:14 pm 

Quote:
Semi-Metallics make a lot of noise and produce a lot of dust, but generally offer decent braking performance. With a Mirage you're limited to whatever you can find, so you'll probably be stuck with semi-metallics or organics. Ceramic pads work well for noise and dust, but usually fade pretty easily under hard braking. I run PBR Metal Master pads on my Mirage front and rear, and so far so good.
oh ok. guess have to look that up. advanced auto parts actually has a lot to choose from looking at there site.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Produc ... s%2c+Front

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/DisplayT ... Count=1861

was also looking at the
Raybestos Raymold they are cheap though at $20.
Brake Pad Set: Raymold Organic; Front; OE Organic.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/produc ... 19&PTSet=A

guess i will go with the
Wearever Silver Pad; Semi-Metallic; OE Replacement for $22
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/produc ... 19&PTSet=A

hope links work.

Last edited by james42519 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:29 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Quote:
oh ok. guess have to look that up. advanced auto parts actualyl has a lot to choose from looking at there site.
The base model cars are a lot more common than the turbo cars, so that makes sense.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:21 pm 
CSM Junkie

I use Duralast Golds from Auto Zone for my 89 Mirage Turbo. They are a life time warranty and they stop the car very well. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:29 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
I use Duralast Golds from Auto Zone for my 89 Mirage Turbo. They are a life time warranty and they stop the car very well. :)
Lifetime warranty brake pads are a scam. They only warranty the pads if they are worn totally evenly, and the parts they use are inferior to begin with.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:19 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Lifetime warranty brake pads are a scam. They only warranty the pads if they are worn totally evenly, and the parts they use are inferior to begin with.
that is why you crack the pad then bring it in to get replacement when it is time to replace them :p

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:49 pm 
CSM Junkie

Well, Duralast Golds have always done well for me and I have never had a problem with getting a new pair for free for Auto Zone... :butthead:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:49 pm 

Quote:
Well, Duralast Golds have always done well for me and I have never had a problem with getting a new pair for free for Auto Zone... :butthead:
what kind of rotors are you using now? i heard the lifetime breaks eat up rotors which is something i don't want.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:52 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Quote:
what kind of rotors are you using now? i heard the lifetime breaks eat up rotors which is something i don't want.
Any metallic pad is gonna eat up the rotor, it just depends on how much metal content the pads have--some are worse than others.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:56 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any metallic pad is gonna eat up the rotor, it just depends on how much metal content the pads have--some are worse than others.
which is one reason i was asking to see what ones worked good and lasted a while without damaging the rotors enough so will i need to turn rotor or get new ones before break need to be replaced again. :p

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:34 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
oh ok. guess have to look that up. advanced auto parts actualyl has a lot to choose from looking at there site.
The base model cars are a lot more common than the turbo cars, so that makes sense.
do the turbos have different breaks then the base model brakes? wouldn't think they would do something like that.

i am rethinking the wearever brakes now so guess that means i am still looking now. really need to decide soon since there really is no brake left. it is practicably to the metal i think. oh well guess might need to get rotors turned unless that is more money then new ones.

Last edited by james42519 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:54 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
do the turbos have different breaks then the brakes? wouldn't think they would do something like that.[/quote]

Yes, turbo brakes are significantly larger. The pads and rotors are bigger, and the calipers are different as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:52 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Quote:
Quote:
do the turbos have different breaks then the brakes? wouldn't think they would do something like that.
Yes, turbo brakes are significantly larger. The pads and rotors are bigger, and the calipers are different as well.[/quote]
I always thought the sedans and the turbo models had the same type front brakes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:15 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
I always thought the sedans and the turbo models had the same type front brakes.
Just 1.6L sedans.