4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:04 pm 

I decided to do a little writeup for you guys on changing the interior color. I'm slowly getting rid of the fugly blue interior on my 4g sedan.

First things first remove the piece or pieces that you intend on painting. If you can't handle this part yourself sell the car :P .

Blue door panel:

Now you need to clean the part and I mean really clean it. You have to get all of the dirt and buildup off so that the paint will stick. Paint does not like armorall. Here is what I used, warm water with dish detergent, some degreaser (test a small place first), comet and some SOS pads:

Lay the panel down and wet it, then spray it down with degreaser. Be sure to cover every inch of it. Then sprinkle on some comet and take the SOS pad and scrub it very well. Rinse the panel off and let it dry in the sun for a few hours.

Once its dry then you need to wipe it down with wax and grease remover, then come back and wipe it down again with a clean dry cloth.

Give it a few minutes for the left over wax and grease remover to evaporate or blow it dry with an air hose if you're in a hurry. Now you need to mask off anything you do not want painted. I chose to mask off the little weather strip piece because I didn't want to break it trying to take it off.

Now you're finally ready to paint the panels. I use SEM products but I believe Dupli-Color makes interior paint as well. SEM also sells a product to help the adhesion on plastics. I used this on mine, its called sand free. I also chose to change my interior to black but they have a ton of other colors in case you just want to make it look new again and keep the same color.

Spray down one coat of the sand free, you want a good solid coat but not too much so that it runs. While this stuff is still wet you spray down a very light coat of paint. You barely want to cover the panel, you're not trying to cover it in one coat. Once this coat is tacky (3 to 5 minutes) go ahead and apply a second coat. You can put a heavier coat on this time as the first coat will help it to bond. Wait another 3-5 minutes and apply your last coat. Be sure to cover the panel this time and that its all even. Make sure that you are happy with it before the paint cures. I wouldn't use more than 3 coats of paint, that should be plenty. You can handle the part in about an hour but I usually give the parts at least a few days to cure before trying to reinstall them in the car.

Finished panel:

As you can see it looks like a black OEM panel. If you take your time and do it correctly you'll be very happy with the results. It is alot of work for sure but in my opinion its well worth it in the end. Now I just have to finish the other parts and get it all back in the car. Once its fully cured you can armorall this just like you do any other interior trim. I got the paint and the wax and grease remover from Napa, the other stuff can be found almost anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:27 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Looks good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:00 pm 
Some call me a god

thats awesome, you can also use oven cleaner if you don't fell like scrubbing as hard

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:01 am 

Quote:
thats awesome, you can also use oven cleaner if you don't fell like scrubbing as hard
Thanks! I'll give that a shot on some of the other parts I have left to paint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:55 pm 
Some call me a god

I have sandblasted stuff in the past using glass beads. Just have to stay at least 10'' away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:03 pm 
4g61t Delinquent

:o fruit and banana that looks OEM!

good job on the write up!

For those 10 months or less... I'm broke...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:11 am 
CSM Junkie

definately needs to be archived

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:07 pm 
CSM Junkie

That really does look OEM... I was thinking the same thing! Very nice work... =D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:32 pm 

Thanks guys! If I ever find the time to put them in I'll snap some pics and move this to the Archives. Alot of people don't know that you can paint your interior and make it look good so thats why I did the writeup. As long as you use the right paint and prep it correctly it'll turn out nice. This also works on carpet and vinyl and leather seats as well. I was skeptical at first but it really works and looks nice. Its also very durable like the OEM paint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:23 pm 

wow..you've certainly perfected it.. i've never seen blue interiors for those cars here, the colour looks weird and very tacky..i;ve seen the brown interiors and they are terrible, black is the best in my opinion... did you do the dashboard yet? lots of people are gonna benefit from this, thanks for a great post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:03 pm 

Quote:
wow..you've certainly perfected it.. i've never seen blue interiors for those cars here, the colour looks weird and very tacky..i;ve seen the brown interiors and they are terrible, black is the best in my opinion... did you do the dashboard yet? lots of people are gonna benefit from this, thanks for a great post!
Dash is done already, just not installed yet. Been doing some mounts lately and making junkyard runs so no time to work on my own stuff. I agree, I'm not sure what Mitsu was thinking on the blue interior. I hate it.

Anyway I pulled a non-airbag dash from a 93 that was in perfect shape and painted it up to swap in eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:52 pm 

Finally got around to finishing this up. Hopefully I can swap the dash out this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:26 pm 
CSM Junkie

Jeez those look good. How hard was it to get the junkyard dash out? I'd like to have a spare to practice on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:25 pm 

Quote:
Jeez those look good. How hard was it to get the junkyard dash out? I'd like to have a spare to practice on.
Nothing to it once you find all the little hidden bolts. I think it took me about an hour maybe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:26 pm 
CSM Junkie

Maybe I'll go hang one day and try and get one out.