4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:59 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

OK found it, so i have to get that white wire and splice in the white wire from the tach filler? Do i cut wires or just splice in? sorry im really bad with wiring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:37 pm 

Quote:
OK found it, so i have to get that white wire and splice in the white wire from the tach filler? Do i cut wires or just splice in? sorry im really bad with wiring.
The white wire from the tach filter is already spliced in to pin 109, I did that. You need to cut that wire and extend it into the car with the other wiring by the ecu and connect the other end to the white wire going to the tach in the dash harness. I'm pretty sure I tied that into the engine harness as well so you may have to cut it there too.

This way the only thing the ecu sees is the tach signal from the power transistor unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:21 pm 

OK so now I have a bigger problem. Im going to go over the steps to see if you guys can help me solve this issue (should make another thread but this might be tied into the wiring)

Before the wiring, we started the car and checked base timing to make sure it was at 5 degrees. It was, and we assume the car was low on gas and ran out cause when I shut it off and tried turning it on later, it wouldnt turn over, I said oh well and got some gas and threw it in there, not trying to turn it on before we fruit and banana with the wiring.

So fast-foward a few days when me and my friend tried to wire up the wideband to log on DSMLINK. We cut the wire coming out of pin 8 on the ecu, IAT, and ran a new wire to the wideband. Still we never tried to start it. Then today we started tackling the tach problem.

The white wire running from the tach filler to the PTR plug, we cut it and wired it so it ran from the tach filler to the dash plug. We found the white wire in the picture shown on the last page of this thread, and just vampire clipped it in there. So it was a "Y", the wire came out of the plug and one end going god-knows-where and the other split off going to the tach filler.

We then tried to start the car and it cranked but would not turn over, once in a while it would turn over and die. But then I noticed that big bronze box near the ecu (i think its the MPI fuse) was clicking like CRAZY. We undid the wiring and returned it all back to stock (wideband pin 8 wiring and tach filler wiring) and now it will turn over and start, but dies immediately!

It has good fuel pressure, and sprays good fuel out of the fuel rail when the fuel pressure regulator is disconnected! So dont think its the fuel pump! What could be wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:53 pm 

picture time!

this is the fuse that im talking about that wouldnt stop clicking, it has since stopped since the wiring is back to normal

the green/orange wire is the stock wire for the intake air temp, pin 8. you can see where we had the red wire that goes to the wideband and how we put it back to stock as well

that white wire that is butt connected is the dash plug wire, the one that lilevo says to splice in there, you can see the red wire was vampire connected before but now is back to stock!

this white wire is the wire that leads to the tach filler, we had it cut and go straight from the tach filler to the white dash plug wire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:57 pm 

Did you happen to unplug anything under the hood? It almost sounds like something was left unplugged or either the ecu took a dump. Do you have any buddies with a known good 91-94 ecu?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:09 pm 

we'll look over the engine bay, but as far as we know, nope never unplugged anything. i will see if i can get an ecu but i have the dsmlink chip in the ecu right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:22 am 

I'm having the exact same problem.
I had an aftermarket ecu installed on saturday and it ran fine for the 120km drive home (with no muffler)
Yesterday I had the muffler put on so I stopped past my tuner's workshop to book it in. As I was leaving it died, It starts for about 5 seconds there's a click then cuts out. After trying to bypass the relay, It doesn't even run anymore. From what I can gather it's cutting off power to the fuel pump or Ecu.

I have another mirage (CB Lancer GSR) in the backyard in which the motor and ecu came out of and it doesn't have the MPI at all. I presume the fuel pump had been hard wired.

I am sourcing another MPI and hopefully that will fix it until i can get it to an auto electrician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:30 pm 

checked the mpi fuse, it works fine

checked for pulse at the injectors, nothing, so i am assuming i need another ecu :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:19 am 

I replaced the ECI relay, and the problem persists. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:11 pm 

well i put in a local dsm'ers good ecu, and the car fired up! so should i send off my ecu to get resocketed and capped or is my ecu done for???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:18 pm 

Find someone that knows what they are doing and I'm sure it'll be repairable. Have you opened the case yet just to see what it looks like? I remember that ecu being one of the cleanest I had ever seen since it was from a 94.

Glad to see you found the problem. It could have been worse for sure though. You know how these cars are. Now its time to swap everything back to see if the tach problem is fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:16 am 

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I think one of the diode's in the ECU might have popped. It's a pain that the fuse blows after the ECU does.. :evil:

Thanks for the progress reports :supz:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:08 pm 

It works (the car that is)! I sent the ecu to terry posten to get re-socketed and cleaned and he also seated the dsmlink chip properly in my ecu and the car runs. I cant drive it cause im waiting on my smaller intercooler but for anyone in the future with similar symptoms, CHECK YOUR ECU!

Also, I will now attempt to try and fix my tach problem. I will also update this thread with that progress as well.