4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:45 pm 

Please reply here with the turbo upgrades for the 4g61t.

Also, feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about the turbo and its installation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:51 pm 

td04 15g

this turbo is an upgrade for the 3000gt, so naturally its fits right in to our cars with NO modifications or parts needed. I used all the stock parts from the stock turbo to put this in (except gaskets and washers).

Mine would hit max boost at about 3000 rpm in third gear. This was when boost was set to 14 lbs. when I got a fuel pump upgrade, I put the boost to 22psi and I got full boost at 3200 rpm - so this turbo is a fast spooling turbo for you streetlight warriors.

In first gear, from a roll (starting at 2500 rpm) full boost would come at 5000 rpm and break the tires loose really quick.

on the expressway in 4th gear at 3500 rpm's it would take MAYBE one full second to reach full boost.

downside: boost will bleed off at the top end in 3rd and 4th gears. this turbo is perfect for 1/8 mile racers and mid range power, but not as good for 1/4 mile and top-end power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:03 pm 

td05 16g (small)

when I got my 16g, i got it with a 7cm exhaust housing. I honestly didn't know there were different types of td05 housings... my mistake. with a 7cm housing, the turbo wouldn't spool up until about 5000 rpm's... VERY dissapointing when upgrading from a td04 15g that spooled up at 3000 rpm.

We finally found out that I screwed it up, so we swapped out the 7cm housing with a stock DSM td05 6cm housing and it was worse.
turns out that the turbo came with everything matched to the 7cm housing which means that the wastegate actuator was lengthened slightly, leaving the wastegate slightly open causing precious exhaust gases to exit during spoolup.

using expert knowledge and care I remounted the same wastegate with some longer bolts and some washers between the wastegate actuator and the turbo to pull the wastegate closed tightly. worked like a charm.

with the wastegate problem fixed I am hitting full boost (19psi) at 3400-3500 rpm's. I have usable boost at 3000 - but not much.

with a rolling start in 1st gear I am getting full boost at 6K rpm.

when on the freeway in 4th gear at 3500 rpm, the 16g takes almost 2 seconds to spool up to full boost (19psi).

Installing the 16g was more work than the 15g due to the changes in exhaust housing and the coolant and oil lines.

these parts can be found here:
http://www.4g61t.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... um=2&por=1

Post subject: TDO4 TEO4 TDO5
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:56 pm 
Banned for being a dick

I have driven my 4G61T (before swapping to a 4G63T)with TDO4-15G and it was fun seem to die off after 5000rpms due to stock exhaust choking it down.
After putting on 3 inch exhaust it came to life and was very fun to drive, still seem to peter out at 6000rpms. This turbo is getting hard to find, I got lucky and got mine off of a dead 4G61T motor that came into a local Japanese engine importer. He sold it to me for 100.00 and it was in perfect condition.

I have a friend who is using a TEO4 turbo which came on the Chrysler Lebarons Turbo models back in the 90s. From what he had to do inoder to make it work so far seems to be a great option for the junkyard turbo guy. The TEO4 has a larger exhaust wheel then the TDO4 yet smaller then the TDO5. SO the TDO4 exhaust housing had to be machined to accept the larger TEO4 exhaust wheel, well worth it for a turbo that only cost 50.00.
His midrange is very powerful and would be at top end too if he would upgrade the exhaust system. Once he gets the 3 inch exhaust system put on the car his four door Mirage should be a beast. From what I can tell his compressor wheel is either a 13G or a 15G. Like I said this is a cheap alternative since it can easily be found in junkyards these days.

I have ridden in a 4G61T Mirage running a TDO5-14B turbo with a 6cm exhaust housing from an Eclipse. The car did have a 3 inch exhaust and trust me the car runs like a skolded dog! From start to finish the car pulls! Of course he has a good amount of mods on the car that brings the TDO5 to life on the 1.6L.
His mods are, 2.0L exhaust cam, 3 inch exhaust, ported exhaust housing, ported exhaust manifold, ported O2 housing, 2.0 modified air mass sensor with open canister and K&N air filter, Eclipse side mount intercooler, 450cc injectors, Eclipse fuel pump, and 2.0 ECU.
Cool part is that most Dsm guys are not interested in TDO5-14B turbos so its a cheap upgrade also. I have seen them as cheap at 75.00 on DSMtrader.

Last but not least the TDO5-16G (small). I have ridden in two mirages that had this turbo both running 1.6L. One had a 1.6L SOHC Mirage 1988, the other a 4G61T DOHC Mirage 1989. Both hit hard at 4000rpms and pulled all the way to read line. Both had the usual mods, ported everything, and 3 inch exhaust. I am sure if you mod the car out right you can have a real street killer. Just remember to pick power mods that will extract that greatest amount of power from the car and compliment all other parts on the motor. Both cars ran a 6cm housing, because the 7cm housing made the car too laggy on spoolup. You can now buy 16G turbos for around 495.00 new from some of the turbo suppliers online so shop around. I have also seen 16Gs on Dsmtrader for 200.00.

I hope this helps out those who are wondering what direction to head in as to what turbo they want to install on there 4G61T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:36 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

well i got a big 16g (7cm housing) but i have a 2.0 head and ported manifold, turbine housing and a ported EVO housing...and 3" exhaust..the car will have a vpc so i will write up my observations on the car when it goes together....if boost comes on too late with it i might end up putting a small hit on it (NOS) to get it to spool earlier...

85.5 Porsche 944, Gaurds Red, 70K original miles

"I'm Rick James, bitch."

Post subject: 20g
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:59 am 

I have a 20g with 7cm ported housing and I think its ok, sure, much more lag than the stock turbo but it spools around 4500-4800. I got the GM blow thru setup, that might help the spooling a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:55 pm 

13g turbo:
very quick spool, bout the same as an 11b. can efficiently push ~15psi, which conveniently is about maxing out our injectors [meaning ecu/injector/mas don't need to be upgraded]. need o2 housing from 1g auto and have the flange of the mirage turbo j-pipe rewelded at 180* from its stock position. can also be picked up really cheap cause dsm kids don't want them.

Post subject: evo 3 16g
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:28 pm 
CSM Junkie

I have had this turbo on for about 3 weeks now and have car reasonably tuned with maf-translator. It replaced a ported 14b which gave me 15 psi @ 3100 rpm. With the addition of bigger turbo and 7cm housing I thot lag would greatly increase. This did not happen! I now see same boost in (4th gear again) @ 3200. I also believe my intake air temperature is cooler. This shows how efficient this turbo is over older designs. I didn't notice a bigger "kick" out of the evo, as it is very linear in power delivery, but roasting the tires all thru second and part of third is much more prevelant 8) . It does pull a lot harder from 5000 to 7000 rpm where the 14b would fall off, even tho everything was ported(o2, 2g mani, 2.5 exhaust).
Install was straightforward, but when exhaust was off, noticed my 2.5 downpipe flange was not opened up, creating a noticable restriction. Guess not every vendor does good work all the time :o Time for three inch soon :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:58 pm 
CSM Junkie

When I first put the evo on , the '61t had 450's with 2g fpr(43psi). The injector duty cycle was around 80%, but I was having trouble tuning the fuel trims properly; I use the maft in draw thru.
Last week I put in 650's cause I got a deal on them used. Then the idc went down to 40 something-wow-I guess overkill! This week I went back to the stock fpr and the idc is now around 60% at 17psi.
Thing is, the tuning is much easier with the larger injectors as the fuel trims are now where they should be; even tho it appears that with proper tuning the 450's may have sufficed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:28 am 
Banned for being a dick

i had a 14b on my old 61t before i blew it all pieces, i dont think the turbo blew it to pieces though. but anyway i had the 14b on 19psi which wasnt bad, not a race car by anymeans but still decently fast......for the street

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:03 am 
Some call me a god

I thought i might bring this back well i had on my old set-up the stock 1.6l with evo 3 16g I loved it i got full boost around 4200 rpms and ripped to 7800 rpms... I dynoed at 304hp and 265 tq corrected it moved i had 2g mass, afc-2, 3" side exit exaust, evo8 fmic, 2.0l cams, there's more i just can't remember....

Dragstr4g61t (bobby) Is on the 1.6l and has the bb 50 trim... His mods are the same as my evo3 16g set-up but he has hks 272's he dynoed at 380 hp corrected and 308 uncrrected he could got more and i'm sure he will but his cutch could'nt take the power and his tranny soon gave up too... He reached fool spool around 4900 rpms....

Now i'm running the fp 3065 on the stock 1.6l and i will give some reviews after my dyno today at 3:00pm.....

Davis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:58 pm 
Some call me a god

how'd it do?

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:09 pm 

I have used the TDO4-13B on my 4G61T to replace my dead TDO4 stock turbo. I got the turbo used from a local mitsubishi mechanic off of a 92 automatic.

I liked the way it pulled compared to the stock turbo, but I really noticed the difference when I got the 3 inch exhaust system installed by 4gperformance.net.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:12 pm 

After my TDO4-13B freebie turbo died I upgraded to a TDO5-14B on my 1.6DOHC.

Yes it was laggy but once it was on, man it was a blast.

BUT thats when I screwed up and didnt get enough fuel to my 135,000mile motor and say good bye to the rings!

So now I have a 4G63T swap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:47 pm 
Some call me a god

Well i went to the dyno with my new set-up and at 24-25 ish #'s i put down 361hp and 300 tq that is a stock 1.6l and stock 1g cams i couldn't get any more out of it that day because my injectors started leaking from the intake man. so that caused a boost leak so i ended it early...But i have since fixed the leak and waiting for the local dsm shoot out day to put it back on the dyno...I did a real safe tune i could lean it out and get some more power and advance the timing alittle more the af was 10:5...

Ok so for spool time i'am fool spooled at around 5000rpm and i'm out spooling bobby he has the 50 trim on the 1.6l i think it"s the stock cams because he has 272's....So now i'm putting the 2.0l together with 2g pistons on 1g rods and ported head and 272's and dsm link so we will se how that goes but that won't be till december when the 2.ol will go in so i can see if i can break 400hp on the stock 1.6l with stock 1g cams...

Davis