4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Very Sad Mitsu story
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:20 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

This is a buddy of mines experience when he went to go buy a red 03 Evo at O'Brien Mistubishi, in Peoria Illinois.
He has asked me to post this in a couple other places, just thought some of you might find it as rediculous as I did.
Quote:
Lets cut the bullshit for a second ladies and gentleman. I have a boner for Mitsubishis. I have owned, in no particular order, two Mitsubishi GS-T's, one chrysler laser RS-T, Five talon tsi awd's, two Mitsubishi GSX's, one Chrysler Conquest TSI, one 3000gt VR4. Im particular to force inducted Mitsu cars because A. They are a great bargain for the performance, and B. They are famialiar to me. So coming to my decision to purchase an EVO VIII was inevitable, regardless of how much Ive gone back and forth in talking on the subject.

My daily routine?
FQ-400 vids, daily searches on autotrader and dsmtrader... Finally I snap. I cant stand it. Its time. Time to do it... Found it. An 03 Arrest me Red, brandnew EVO VIII. 238 Miles sitting in springfield. My inside source lets me know that they are indeed ready to deal, that they need it gone before the 06's arrive...

Prepped the wife, she's good to go, my jaw exercises paid off pleasing her enough at least to not argue a whole lot when the thought of taking on a car payment comes to bear, for after all I did pay off her car of choice.

Laid the ground work out for the dealer. Spoke with Springfields Obrien Mitsubishi's all star sales associate Troy Fermin, got a crap price over the phone, but knew full well that there is always room to move on a car such as this.. Its kinda rare to find someone not wanting a new 05 vs the new 03 still sitting there.
Two weeks come to pass, taking a breather on the beaches of Destin Florida. A beautiful area really, though perhaps a tad colder than I prefer this time of year.
I spoke in no uncertain terms, that in two weeks Ill be in to buy this car. This is what I have to trade in, an 00 Chrysler LHS that is in immaculate shape, though the miles are at a 120k.

Working third shift tends to throw me out of cycle with the rest of the world. Today was the day. I had a quick bite to eat with Mr. Natedogg, owner of EniTunersLTD, spoke at length on my thoughts, desires concerning the vehicle and he was all for the road trip.

Off to the bank. Secured a loan for 20k. Off to the back yard with a shovel... Dug up 10k from my reserver holding account. Grabbed the title to the car, filled her up, changed the oil and headed out.

Upon arriving & Obrien Mitsubishi Springfield, I was greeted by a toothy chap named Troy. Smilling bright as the late afternoon sun, he shook my hand and asked how the vacation was.. A good start. I head in to examine that which I desire. And there she was. Dusty, not as clean as I expected it to be, sitting on the show room floor, but then again it was inside. Paint showed a fair amount of orange peel texture, but that will wetsand out fine... a small dent, probably from a hip leaning against the passenger side rear door, brakes scored considerably...rotors look abused from some hard stops prior to a suffecient breakin period, those will be replaced before I take delivery I thought to myself. Interior was perfect. What really demanded my attention was the fact that this was the car on the show room floor...Finally to buy the car off the floor...ah....my life is complete....

Troy takes my key, and I let him know that my time it precious, to please have whoever it is that evaluates trade in cars condition to do so, while Im evaluating the car. Troy took they keys, let his sales manager know and then pulled the EVO out of the show room for my test drive.

Im not sure when exactly Troy got a wild hair up his ass, but at this point he turned from helpfull to beligerant. His questions went from open and airey to pointed, direct and such that were downright inappropriate for the situation at hand.
Dialouge begins:

*Troy, first question I have to ask, Why is this car still here? Is there something wrong with it, or is red not the color of choice for buyers?

"Well the 04's were coming in, so most wanted the newer models."

Hmm, I walked over to a white RS that was sitting there, an 05 model, sticker priced lower than the 03 Im suiting up to test drive... Read through the sticker, taking note that it did have aluminum roof pannels listed etc...Whites not my color...

"So Dan, what exactly are you here to do today?"

*Too buy a car Troy, but you know that.*

"Oh Do I?"

*I would assume so, Im here, cash, title and potential for financing in hand, prequalified for as much as I asked for. Displaying considerable sized money roll and title of trade in car in both hands. If we can come to an agreement of course.

"Well what did I tell you on the phone?"

*You quoted me a run of the mill, retail price Troy, I know there is room to move, you know there is room to move. Treat me right on my trade in, get me where I want to be on price, which will be fair on both sides, and we will have deal. Time is of the essence, I have two little boys to pickup back in Peoria by 6pm.*

"Well, where is that? Here is Springfield?
*Uh no Peoria, where I live, and drove from?*

"Well I quoted you whole sale price on the car."

*No you didnt.

"No? Whats whole sale then?"

*Not the price you quoted.

"Well what is it then?" starting to walk away back inside.

At this point Troy is walking back in to talk to his service manager, muttering and becoming more colorful in his demeanor.
He comes back.

"So have you ever driven an EVO?"

*Yep.

"Then why do you have to drive this one?"

*Well Troy, its common practice for me to test a car out that Im planning on buying.

"Well, how many have you driven?"

*A few. But none of them were mine. I have several people I know who own 03 8's, Im partial to the 03's because they dont have the fragile electronic controlled center differential and lsd front end. This is the car I want. As long as you treat me right on price.

"Well Im the wrong guy to talk to about that."

hmm... thinking that he didnt give the will do, can do attitude Id expect from a potential commission...

At this point, Im not reading too much into the way this guy was acting. I understand that people jerk salemen around. Hell Ive experienced it from both sides of the fence.

Looking the car over some more, I reitterated that its in his best interest that he take care of me on this, and I'd take care of him.

He scoffs at the statement.

Lost in the ether of the glorious latest version of the 4g63T purring its familiar song, Nate Dogg and Troy had some sort of interaction, ending with Nate reminding him that its not new, its an 03 with 200 miles... Where in I chimed in, "You know Troy, Falls coming and so are the 06 models, cant be much call for an 03 at this point, hense it still being here. Whats the likely hood of someone coming in and looking for this exact car?"

Scuffing his foot on the ground he got the plates, looked at Nate and asked if he was going... Nate replied, 'sure am!'

Nate took the rear seat, behind this salesperson, I squeezed my considerable girth into the form fitting seats, thanking the heavens that Ive been ill for the past week and have lost about ten pounds, otherwise I wouldnt of...

Knowing full well how the clutch and drive train are touch and go and prone to stalling I expertly engaged power to the drivetrain, taking off smooth as sackcloth, for silky smooth wont ever apply to anything Mitsubishi made, short of the 3S powerplant...

Troy asked what kind of driving did I want to experience.

I requested a short trip on the highway, just to feel her out...

Out of the blue...
"Relax. You seem nervous."

*Nervous? Im anything but nervous Troy, what makes you say that?

"You look it."

*Odd.. I am sleep deprived. I was up all night, and hadnt slept since 7 yesterday."

"Well theres nothing to be nervous over, why are you loosing sleep over it?

*I worked lastnight Troy. I spent the morning getting everything together to buy this car, I wasnt up becuase I was worried...* Thinking where is this guy going with this...

"I thought you bought and sold cars at WHOLESALE???"

*I do. I work for, or more accurate am partnered with Steve Cady, who owns CADY OIL in peoria. He is a dealer, I buy and sell with him, off his lot. I purchase cars at the Morton Autoautction for both him and I...*

Some idle small talk. He has worked there for 3 years, he enjoys what he doest etc...

Though it sure didnt seem like it...
Some more silence and then he starts in again with a new angle.

"Where is you book?"

BTW, this is all during my testdrive and my driving impressions of the car are great. The low end grunt this car displayed screamed of Wendsday... She is a wendsday car.. The brakes were groaning in protest, and earlier I took notice that they were trashed, but them being replaced wont be an issue in my minds eye.. But she felt like Nates Yellow, correctly broke in, running like it should Wendsday car...YES!!!!!

*Book? What do you meen?*

"Your a WHOLESALER right? WHERE IS YOUR BOOK, DONT YOU HAVE A BOOK?" Troy's tone becomes more beligerant, pointed, and probing, as if trying to pull back the strings to a tangled lie that he feels Ive embellished in, apparently.

*Troy, why would I have a book on me?

"Dont you carry it with you? Why wouldnt you have it on you? DONT YOU HAVE ONE?

*Troy, (maintaining tone, voice inflection of a calm individual who had been up for 30+hours) Of course I do, I have several, but I dont carry them with me.*

"WHY NOT?"

*WHY WOULD I?*

Troy mumbles something intangible...

Silence, save for the inline 4 purring away at 60mph...oh how I wish I could of enjoyed her song with out the steady and constant pryings of a would be, has been, washed up, angerd used car salesman....

*Troy, are you trying to instigate a fight? Or did we get off on the wrong foot?*

Troy remains silent.

1/4 mile passes of silence, after that question was posed.

*Troy, do you get paid commission?*

"Yep, sure do..."

*Are you worried about this sale? Does this meen anything to you? Because it really doesnt seem like it*

"Nope, not really. I couldnt care less about this sale."

*Wow..hmm...*
spotting a uturn spot for authorized vehicles only... Started in on the stoppers, but the grinding was such that I didnt want to further damage the well worn and not properly seated in brakes...

*Well I think thats that, how do I get back to the dealer?*

Troys responses there after were direct and to the point, when asked directions, he responded. I had half a mind to stop the car, and tell him to get out. Or better yet, drive it back to peoria... Go right up to Dan Obriens Door and hash it all out there on the lawn, good thing I didnt, because Dan doenst own that store...

I probed Troy for more feedback. What did he normally see cars like my trade bring, what should I expect, are they going to work with me...

He said he didnt know, and became evasive... Stating that its not his area...
I reminded him that with his 3 years of experience, what is the norm for cars like mine to yield... He wouldnt answer...

Ok... * You stated that the price you gave is wholesale, what should I expect.. trade in on my car?*

Scoffing... "NO, you'll get whole sale on it" Whats wholesale on your car?"

*Oh about 3500-4000 tops...* Im realistic about the value, this isnt my first rodeo, and this whole scene is a self fulfilled profecy about getting stuck with the worst salesman in history. The car sold itself, but this sinceless, beligerant, arrogant, cocky (who truely has no reason to be) killed it. There is NOWAY IN HELL Id ever buy anything from this guy. He was such an asshole, the entire testdrive.

*Then again you quoted me low retail on this one, so basically take 80% of retail and you should have it. My trade at 3500-4000 is about 40-45% of retail.

"Your talking over my head now."
Interesting spin on things, looks like he has conceeded that he pushed me too far, that he was running under the assumption that I was bsing him from the get go and he was unable to find any string to unravel what Ive stated... He remains silent for the duration of the drive back... all 3 minutes of it.

I realize that reading through my assesment of the dialog that inflection in voice is hard to convey. I stand to tell all of you, this guy is an asshole. Not a little one, a big one. I had random thoughts of bitchslapping him. Who the hell did he think he was talking to anyone like that? Especially with two sizable guys sitting with him. Talk about self confidence, good lord. Im pretty laid back, but without sleep Im a lit fuse... He was doing his damn best to light it.

We get back to OBRIEN MITSUBISH of SPRINGFIELD. I hopped out, pocketed the keys.

"Do you want to speak with the business manager?"

*Yep, I sure do."

Stewing about the conversation... Thats the thing with me, I stew a long time. Ive been stewing over it for the past 8+ hours....

I waited, maybe 4 minutes at the business managers desk, taking note that my keys hadnt moved... He hadnt carried through with the expectation that was set. Period. Not only did the salesman offend, condescend and ridiquel me, the business manger went mia on the prestated time deadline. He was supposed to evaluate my 2000 LHS, give me topdollar, no bs and get the paperwork started... He did nothing, except run to the back of the stoor and start feeding his face... The show room was devoid of anyone except a retiree lot attendand...

I had the chance to talk with Nate, and asked. Man what is that guys deal? Is it me or was he being ane ass? Nate reitterated my thoughts, the guy is a complete ass, and not concerned with customer service, the customer experience, or maintaining anyform of professionalism.

I walked into this deal, with the preunderstanding this car needs to be moved. The car has been there, they will deal wholesale, low dollars, no bs.. All I got was bs. Its not a salesmans right to question my employement, other than to prequalify me as a tirekicker or a prospect. I had cash on me, I had a car title on me, I had prequalified for a substantial loan, before I walked on the lot. I was going to buy the car today, this poor excuse of a human dropped the ball.

On the way home I made call after call to anyone who would listen, just to vent my frustration. Not only did I waste 6 hours of my time, go without sleep for a day and a half to do this deal, I let the gem I was searching for go, based on the principle that these people were not there for me. They had no intentions of taking care of their number one fan. They could care less, If I came and went without buying anything.

Mitsubishi has the best backed cars in the business? There is little doubt now, why this car is still on the lot. I know understand fully why Mitsubishi sales numbers are down. This guy needs some serious training in keeping the customer focus. Uneducated, backwater as he is... Its the training... he needs help. I cant believe that he has lasted 3 years there acting in this manner.

I made some calls to my intergrated car peeps, those inbedded in Mitsubishi's hierarchy, and I was assuerd that this transgression will go answered loudly. I have also spoken to management from Peoria Obrien Mitshubishi on these matters, and have reitterated that this event that happened today will be passed on to my columnist friend at the Peoria Journal Star, all those that frequent several car enthusiasts web sits, those that serve thousands. Every point of contact I have in the US Millitary will know. Im going to post this on every local car forum in the tri-state area. It has become my lot in life to let the world know how piss poor these folks are. There are 278 people in my cellphone memory, half of which are cellular phones that can recieve text messages. Im going to send out a blanket text message to everyone who can recieve it, not to take their business there.

Generally when a customer is unhappy or angry, they pass their negative experience to friends and family. From there is filters out, but does pass on by word of mouth to numerous would be buyers. My voice will be heard. Everyone I know, will know. My voince reaches far. As it is, I fully expect this to be read by a thousand people within a week, tens of thousands in months.. If published in the Peoria Journal Star, it will be tens of thousands.

You fruit and banana with the wrong consumer.

Do not take your business to Obrien Mitsubishi of Springfield. TROY FERMIN in particular. This facility is more concerned with lunch time, than serving their customers. Their service department however seems to be top knotch, on par with how Peoria is... I give them that. Service is good, Sales is deplorable in Springfield Illinois.

Sorry for the gramitical errors. Its 12:40am, Ive been up for 42 hours straight. Im on my third redbull in two hours.
Im pissed, and have kept the facts of the actual events straight in my mind, shorthanding notes along the way.

I would like to have Nate voice his take on the events that occured, correct me if I was wrong in recounting said events.. Im glad I had a witness, no one would of believed it.

Feel free to post any experience good or bad with Mitsubishi Motors in general on this thread. Anything that struck a nerve, or something that was right.. Id like to see good experience, names places dates.... and the same for the bad....

Brian Waggler contacted me after these event transpired. Evidently word spread rapidly at the experience I had, funny how the story hit peoria before I did, but he apologized for how I was treated and gave me his assurance that he would take care of me personally. I truely appreicate the time he spent listening to my rage. He is a possitve asset to the company. Tyler is also wearing that badge of customer service. He takes care of problems, that are not his problems... Again an asset that is irreplaceable on any level. Tara from Springfield Mitsubishi, my source on finding me this vehicle, is again of the same cloth that the abover two are cut from. Customer focused, willing to help and convey general concern over the way their customers are treated. If Mitsubishi focused on hiring more individuals like this, they would be far better off as a company.

Take heed Mitsubishi, train you people to convey interst, empathy and the general desire to help. It will do wonders for your numbers.

Dan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:40 pm 
The Silent Administrator

*Blinkers* my eyes hurt, but overall I completely agree with your bud MidwestDSM. I have to talk to our *best* salesmen who only talk about how they have to be storytellers, and baby people, but then proceed to tell me how they use power tactics to break people down, remove their confidence and leave for 5 mins. Come back apologize to them and then give them a false sense of security; now their defensive walls are down. Farg*ng world at a dealership is point blank - Too much testosterone within the confines of 4 walls. I just talked to one of two guys that were "let go" due to slow period in sales through the service advisors and Fast Lane (our oil change side); nothing gets any easier in this game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:05 pm 
The happy administrator

That's some experience. Sounds like they fudged with the wrong guy.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:10 am 
1595 cc's of fury

Heh, sounds familiar to me. I am a tech at a dealership shop (not Mitsubishi), we have one of the highest customer satifaction ratings in the nation...and one of the lowest in our sales department.

I've sent friends and family...even my own wife (she was my fiancee at the time) to the sales department to seriously buy a car. NONE purchased due to treatment by some of our salesman. They either blew them off and definately didn't take the sale's seriously. The man helping my wife would talk down to her and when she wanted to ask my opinion on things he would huff and throw his hands in the air. He was a complete ass. After seeing the deal he was trying to work I informed him this was a rip off and not the deal I had discussed with the sales manager earlier today. He got real irritated then and began ranting and saying how I was just trying to rip him off. I had him tear up the deal and
needless to say we bought from another dealer. :finga:
He was fired later that week after I told the sales manager why we bought from someone else.

SOLD to the fastest shifting hermaphrodite in CO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:58 am 
4g61t Delinquent

reason i didnt buy that 03 Lancer From Victorville Mitsubishi. Mike Sellers (my salesman) was a cocksucking faggot. he would tell me one thing over the phone and go in and tell me something comepletely 180. but i fruit and banana him over good, i was approved for the loan and when the bank called i told them i work under the table and have no proof of income and that mike sellers the sales man new that.

the bank wasnt happy about that, and neither was mike. needless to say, i dont step a foot near Victorville Mitsubishi.

1) used car sales man is an arabic prick (no offense to anyone arabic)
2) sales department dont know shit about wtf they're selling
3) sales manager is a piece of shit also.

only thing good there is the part counter guys Joe and Mike. they would always help me out on parts.

For those 10 months or less... I'm broke...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:48 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

exactly my point. Mitsu salesmen can't sell cars for shit. I am applying at the dealership this story was posted from (45 mins from me) as well as my local this weekend. If they don't hire me, they are morons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:06 pm 
CSM Junkie

yeah the people at my local (Lancaster, PA) mitsu dealer are dickheads also