4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: new colt owner in GA
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:20 pm 

Mirageman, what size are the tires you have? I am looking for some 205 45 r16, unless you guys suggest I find a differant size.

Today I finally drove the car home. After I installed the brakes, I realized that the master cyl was too small, so I upgraded to a 1" master cyl from an eclipse. The rear 5lug has been completed, but I am keeping the rear drums for now. I just did what everyone does on the disc brake hubs on the drums. So far, so good.

Better pictures will be taken once I give the car a well deserved bath.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:32 pm 

u sure all this car needed was a bath?? :weedman:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:18 am 

Mine are 215/40's I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:16 am 

Quote:
u sure all this car needed was a bath?? :weedman:
The car needs way more than a bath, but it still deserves one.

Here is a pic after cleaning it a bit.

Quote:
Mine are 215/40's I believe.
Sounds great, pm sent.

The previous owner decided that an exhaust was not necessary for the purchase of a vehicle. I didn't mind since I work at a shop. I took a muffler off the shelf (dunno what brand, came off a this is the exhaust. I know 3" exhaust is overkill (and rice) on the 4g15, but i did not want to remake anything.

Now onto the dyno for the results.

This is turning out to be less of an introduction, and more of a build thread. LOL Mods feel free to move to the appropriate section. As many of you guys know, plans change. My original plans for the colt were to enjoy the gas mileage, and turbo AWD swap it after I finish the Lexus. Plans changed for the better on the colt, unlike the Lexus that keeps getting more expensive and time consuming, lol. I traded a bunch of EVO 8/9 parts that I had collected for a bunch of Colt parts.

Those parts included: 4g61t, KM210 transmission, evo316g turbo, cyclone 8 runner intake manifold, clutch/flywheel and more. Needless to say, I was excited to get started on the colt.

Within the same week, highpsi4 posted a turbo colt shell for sale. No title was the catch. We agreed on a price, but I did not care about the chassis, or getting it to Atlanta form Charlotte. We agreed I could take anything off the car, and leave him the chassis to scrap. I also drove the colt to get those parts, It was well worth the trip.

I brought home, GL interior (no ripped seats FTW), slightly cracked dash, turbo engine mounts, turbo wiring harness, turbo bumper, side skirts, rear wing, colt filler panel, Painted rear bumper, rear disk brake conversion parts, turbo steering wheel, turbo column, turbo steering rack, alternator, power steering pump, starter, and these last 3 items were worth the trip by themselves, good OEM Mitsubishi green cup 4g61t axles with 4g61t intermediate shaft, plus more parts. My search for equal length axles is now over.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:33 am 

That last pic is priceless! I hate to see another turbo car go to the crusher but without a title its really not good for much. G/L on the swap!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:39 am 

Quote:
That last pic is priceless! I hate to see another turbo car go to the crusher but without a title its really not good for much. G/L on the swap!
I figured the cheapest way to get parts for the colt, is to use the colt. Less than $50 in gas from Atlanta, to Charlotte and back. For what it is worth, I do not think he is crushing that chassis. Just adding it to his DSM collection.

I swapped the turbo wheel and gauge cluster. When I got to the shop that morning, the stock cluster just hit 150,000, so I matched the turbo one's odometer.

I also started cleaning/polishing the valve cover

And I cleaned and painted the transmission. The can said "titanium silver" so I thought a slightly darker shade (almost pewter), not blue silver. Oh well, it looks good imho.

Driving back from Charlotte blew out one of the shocks. I took apart the Passenger front to determine how bad. While the gr2's are on order, I cut the front springs. 1.5 rings off the top, and .5 ring off the bottom. I like how it looks, and it does not feel too bad (minus the blown shock). It caused some scrubbing. I removed the fender liner, cut the fender lip, bent back the section in the rear where it was rubbing, and painted the inside with rubberized undercoating. Also a big thank you for 4g61t, I figured out /fixed the water leak issue on the driver's side.

Before

After (I noticed the little blue line after I took the picture, so I made that black as well)

Stance, time to lower the rear

For the most part, that brings us up to today. I have cleaned many parts so far, and more are needed to be cleaned. Then it is time for assembly :) Gonna try to bust out the swap in a weekend, so proper preparation is key.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:01 pm 

Time for another update.

I cleaned up the engine block, then I painted it "chrysler blue". I figured the color fit the carn lol.

I also started painting the brackets black.

I swapped the valvesprings with oem evo8 ones since I was doing the valve stem seals, and I have a few sets of oem evo springs. The beehive is supposed to be good for higher rpm's.

Stock

Evo

I want an open dump tube/screamer pipe, but do not want to spend the coin at the moment. (Especially after an almost $500 mitsubishi parts order) . Here is my solution, cut the stock o2 housing, and weld on a pipe onto the w/g portion. I call this ghetto-dump. The housing and manifold have been slightly ported as well.

Here is the engine as of now. The plastics have to come off to get cleaned and painted. Other than that, it is comming together.

I got some gauges, and another radio. OEM Evo8 mr gauges and radio. I even got the pesky oil temp sensor :)

I have a question, what front engine mount do I use? I have 3, and they are all differant sizes?

That's it for now. This weekend I am making the wiring harness to run the 99 eclipse ecu. It will be happening very soon. I want to drive it to Import Alliance turboed, but I think 2 weeks might be too short of a time goal, but we will see.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:51 am 
CSM Junkie

Awesome work so far! I went to batlground a few times, years ago, when I used to live in Augusta. I have a question, was the eclipse brake master cylinder a direct fit? What year/model eclipse was it from, and what was the part number? I'm in the process of installing gvr4 brakes, and i think my master cylinder could use a replacement.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:06 am 

Quote:
Awesome work so far! I went to batlground a few times, years ago, when I used to live in Augusta. I have a question, was the eclipse brake master cylinder a direct fit? What year/model eclipse was it from, and what was the part number? I'm in the process of installing gvr4 brakes, and i think my master cylinder could use a replacement.
The eclipse master cyl. I got was from a 2g Gsx, I forgot if I got the abs one or not. It was a direct fit with minor modifications, lol. I had to redo the lines going into the master cyl, as well as run a galant brake reservoir. The galants and eclipses use a remote mout res. While the colt uses a res. attached to the master cyl. I wish I got the 3000gt vr4 one, those can use the oem colt parts. The reason I went with the eclipse one is because my local napa had it in stock, and I had the galant parts at the shop. Hope all goes well with your gvr4 brake swap.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:06 pm 

Started on the wiring harness. I started with a 89 turbo mirage harness. It was missing some connectors, and just looked it's age. I figured since I am rinning an 99 eclipse flashable ecu, I would just refresh the harness, and do a wire tuck on the engine part. The loom is call techflex, I ordered it off ebay, and the ends get heatshrunk to stay in place. Each plug must be removed in order for the loom to get installed. I figured this would allow/make me go over every inch of every wire to make sure it is not craked, brittle, or just nasty. Any wires that met that criteria got removed and replaced with a good wire. It is not finished, but here is the progress.

Here is after I removed all the remaining OEM wore loom/tape. I also used brake cleaner to get all of the tape residue off of the harness.

And here is after approx. 6 hours of work. I would estimate that I am 1/3 of the way done.

:supz:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:11 pm 

Harness is finished. It is an 89 turbo harness, converted to run a 2g (1999) flash able ecu. It has also been set up for speed density.

Here is a pic of the engine finally mated to the transmission.

And a cool pic I took of the intake manifold.

Anyways, the 4g15 is getting removed tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:32 am 

Looks awesome! As a fellow detailing guy I know what kind of time it takes to make things look better. Props for going the extra mile.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:34 pm 

Quote:
Looks awesome! As a fellow detailing guy I know what kind of time it takes to make things look better. Props for going the extra mile.
Thank you for the kind words, the turbo manifold bothers me a lot looking nasty. I want a f.p. manifold, but am trying to not completely destroy my bank account doing this swap.

Anyways, today was productive. I removed the 4g15.

Here is the engine bay with most everything still in place.

And here it is after I removed the old harness and some unneeded items.

And a cool pic. of the cars at the shop now. At least the colt is in good company.

Also if you need any 4g15 stuff, lmk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:20 pm 

Have someone beadblast it and grab a can of gray manifold paint from Eastwood. It's like $15 for the can but it actually holds up to the heat. It'll look brand new.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:09 pm 
The Silent Administrator

FP has their manifold on sale again. I was on the site looking this last weekend.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next