4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:51 am 

I have registered here for some time but now I can properly introduce myself.
My name is Andrew and I have been into DSMs for a while now. I own a 1990 Eclipse that is modded pretty well I think. I just purchased what should be labeled a mirage
It will be my DD for a while however I think this would be a great budget project.

My plan for this car is going to be in two phases

First phase is to just do small performance upgrade with parts that I have laying around. Starting with the suspension, I have a rear sway bar from my N/T Eclipse that I am sure would fit on the back.
The other Suspension upgrade I have heard was that a 1G AWD suspension would fit into this car. Can anyone confirm this or has done this mod yet?

It feels like this little car has the potential to handle. I don't want to lower it much, I am thinking Ice racing and rally crossing for right now till something major happens to the motor or transmission.

Motor is just the 4g15 with 4 on the floor. I am going to run it till something breaks. It may receive a N/T throttle body but thats about it...

I also heard that you can take the ECU, TB, Injectors, and MAS from a 4g37 and get a slight power increase? There is one sitting in the junk yard and I am wondering would it be worth it. Would it hurt my MPG?

*I am kind of sick of having project but not doing anything with them. I would like to have this be the opposite. I want to drive it and beat on it and have fun with it. I am sure this little hatch will be able to take it.

2nd Phase, eventually I will face the fact that the car should have be AWD. I have so many spare DSM parts laying around the place that it should be just a cheap project. (Meaning I am not going to stick very much money into the car in the first place)

I have the Hyundai Engine mount and the automatic transmission mount (however I don't think it uses the automatic transmission mount in the car)

I will probably need the axles from a Turbo mirage.

There is a Colt sitting at the U pull lot that has a hydraulic clutch. Should I pull the petal and the Master and slave clutch cylinder?

I also have a spare 3 bolt rear end out of my eclipse (replaced it with 4 bolt)

So if anyone has any helpful advice please feel free to add. I know some of you have more experience in the AWD swap department.
I just would like a complete list of what I am going to need and gather before I do the swap. I should have most of the parts laying around.

It has the satan badge on the back of it which now is its new nick name, plus it is red which makes it more funny...

Pics of when I first picked it up

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:11 am 

The Scummit...that's hilarious.

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:29 am 
Some call me a god

Oh good, now we can properly welcome you. Welcome to the board! It sounds like you did your research. I can confirm that yes, you should get the hydraulic clutch system out of that car at the yard. Leave yourself some time, because you need to pull the entire dash and HVAC box off the firewall to remove the pedal. Yes you need GT axles for the AWD swap, but the intermediate axle from an AWD DSM will fit between the trans and the driver side axle. In the rear, most people use the DSM suspension, 3 or 4 bolt either way, and if you want to stick to the original bolt pattern, buy rear hubs off a Galant VR-4, and use your DSM calipers with CSM GT rear rotors.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:19 pm 
The happy administrator

Welcome! Good to see a new guy that's read through the site. As for suspension, awd dsm front struts with (dsm) lowering springs on them will drop the front and you'll want to change out the rear struts, awd dsm gr2's with the bottom mount modded to fit a csm with stock awd rear springs will drop the rear, this is a really good combo that sticks to the road like glue. Switching to the 4g37 parts is the best upgrade you can do to the 4g15 but they'll only work if you have a 12v 4g15, don't bother doing any other engine performance mods (beyond good maintenance) as it really would be pointless. Using the '37 tb requires you to bore out the intake to match the size. You can get away with swapping the injectors/maf/ecu in though.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:41 pm 

Ok it is freaking freezing out...

Haven't done much because I am still at a stand still with the brakes...

I have collected some very important parts though

I have my Honda radiator 2" duel core

Mirage turbo axles + half shaft

all motor mounts needed plus some poly inserts in a couple of them

Plus I have my 4g csm knuckles I can play around with

Are these 4 X 100? I really wish they went with a standard 4 lug pattern...

So I am getting a good collection of what I need...

I am finding out that converting the rear from a 4 lug Drum to 5 lug disk is tricker (and more expensive) then I thought and I am tempted just to do the AWD rear frame swap just to get it over with. I do have all of those parts together so the only thing that is stopping me is a warm garage

Anyone want to donate their garage to a poor CSM person

I wish the car was moving right now but maybe I will just have to piece something together to get it to move. I don't know how though...