4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:21 pm 

Hello all,

I am a new member and after some registration issues I am finally here. I am a Texas resident and have been around Mitsu's for a while. My first one was a Chrysler Conquest and then I went to a turbo Mirage, then a Galant VR-4 and back to the Conquest. I will always love the conquest and I am still looking for another one.

I sold my beat up red turbo mirage when I still lived in Maryland. I sold it to this cool kid that already owned a blue one, I dont know if he is on this forum but if he is then I hope I can link up with him for some advice on these cars.

I recently came up on a N/A '89 Colt that I couldn't pass up, the body is clean, the interior will need some serious cleaning and I dont know if it runs as I haven't taken delivery yet. Either way I bought it for $50 so I couldnt pass it up.

I am going to have a 4g63 built for it, which will probably take some time for me to gather up all the parts and then pay the guy to build it. My builder knows how to install it but he charges by the hour so I will handle the install myself but will need all the help I can get.

Either way, glad to be a member here now and hopefully I will post up some pics when I bring it home and will start a build thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:16 am 
Digital Baby Troll

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the build, and who couldn't pass up a $50 car?

-John

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:43 pm 

Well I am going down to the pick n pull next weekend to get some motor mounts of a colt gt they have sitting there. I really dont know which path I should take with this car because wiring has always been a weak point for me. I can look at wiring diagrams all day and not get it. I'm considering getting the 4g61t and tranny thats at the yard and all the wiring that goes with it and make it a regular gt although I would prefer a 4g63.

Now I know there are plenty of FAQ's on this forum but I'm still an idiot when it comes to wiring one up. The mitsu pro in my area said that I can use any engine and something about changing 2 wires on the eclipse harness. Anyone feel like coming to the Dallas area to help me out when I get the engine built?

Also, what intercoolers is everyone using? I would prefer a front mount instead of the eclipse side mount. What size and where are the mounting points?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:11 am 
Some call me a god

Chris has made it real easy to do the swap, he's made a connector to just plug and play for the 4g63.

As far as intercooler goes, pretty simple just choose what you want to run and pipe it. I'm running a smaller fmic, 6x3x24 or so.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:01 am 

Quote:
Chris has made it real easy to do the swap, he's made a connector to just plug and play for the 4g63.

As far as intercooler goes, pretty simple just choose what you want to run and pipe it. I'm running a smaller fmic, 6x3x24 or so.
Using which harness?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:27 am 
Some call me a god

Stock 4g63t engine harness and colt interior harness.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:43 pm 

so it doesnt matter which year 4g63t harness I use? How do I purchase one of those connectors from Chris?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:52 pm 
The happy administrator

You can use a 1990 63t harness from a dsm and your tach will work without having to wire in a tach filter but then you'll be stuck using the rarer 90 ignition parts. Use a 91+ 63t harness and the parts are plentiful but you'll have to wire in a tach filter for your tach to work (easy to do). Send a pm to 89mirageman (Chris) and he'll hook you up with one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:45 pm 

Awesome, I will contact him as soon as I finish buying all the parts needed to build the 63t...I thought parts would be cheaper for the 63t since there is such a large market for it, I was wrong. Parts cost just as much as the ones for the G54B.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:17 pm 

Well I finally took possession of the colt once the owner finally found the title and I will get pictures up shortly but the year of the colt was wrong. Its actually a '91, does that change the ability to swap over a 4g63? I got some motor mounts from a hyundai at the junk yard for a 4g61, will does work on this year? Is it still the same?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:56 pm 
The happy administrator

Still the same (89-92).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:59 pm 

Sweet - the perfect answer to a stupid question

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:37 am 
Some call me a god

You'll need the timing belt and rear metal mounts from the hyundia, finding an original tranny mount is hard but mirrageman can make em. Use the 1.5 from metal mount.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:18 am 

Well I finally picked it up yesterday after the owner found the title for it. It has an ants nest in it some where and this thing needs alot more work then I originally thought. I will need a complete interior, dash, gauges, seats and carpeting.

Where do you guys think I should start?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:43 pm 

Well I've already hit a hiccup...apparently there must be some serious electrical gremlins in this thing because the battery connectors were gone. Well I went and bought some along with a new battery because it didnt have one at all. While I was at O'Reilly's I passed by the fuses and said to myself, I bet it is missing a few. So I get the 7 pack. Well I get back home and I have no idea which wires go to which ones aside from the main power and ground cable. I have two other ones hanging and one wire is missing going to the starter. So I get power but nothing inside comes on. I jump two of the wires until I get a clicking sound when I turn the key...cool, so now I have some power but no interior sounds, lights nothing except for the power seat belts and the hazard lights work. I grab the fuses I bought and looked by the drivers side kick panel and to my surprise they are ALL missing...I dont even have the fuse panel cover to let me know what fuses are needed for which slot. I take a 30 amp one and go through every slot with the key turned on but nothing happens, no lights, no dinging...nothing....I'm kinda confused right now. I hate working on cars that have electric problems.

This is what I got to work with

I think this may be an extra ground cable that I just need to extend to fit in the connector, what do you guys think?

This one looks like a ground for the frame but it also looks like it could go to the starter but its not long enough?

And this is the starter with just the one black wire connected to it on the left bolt