4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:10 am 

Hi all. My name is Scott, and I'm from South Carolina. I'm new to the site here, but definitely not new to DSM's. I have had well over 15 Conquest/Starions, and numerous FWD and AWD Eclipse/Talons. Currently I have a 93 T/T Stealth that has right over 500awhp, of course the 89 Mirage Turbo, and my newest addition is a 03 Lightning Yellow Evo 8 with minor mods (so far.)

About 2 years ago, I came across my Mirage turbo hatchback in a local paper for dirt cheap, and figured it was either a plain Mirage that somebody made a turbo car, or junk. I went and looked at it and it turns out it was a gem, so of course, I had to buy it. When I bought the car it was bone stock, EXTREMELY straight, and everything was there except for the floormats.

Currently the car has the factory 4g61t in it with a full 3" custom exhaust with Magnaflow muffler (very throaty,) all free mods, K&N air filter, 450cc injectors, Hallman MBC, and just to mount it up to get it out of the way for now, a Turbo XS Evo 8 FMIC (not hooked up.)

I have a 91 6 bolt 4g63t out of a fwd Talon that I am building to swap into it.

The mods to the 2.0 are as follows :
Polished rods
Wiseco coated pistons (.020 over)
Balance shafts eliminated and internals balanced
All ARP studs and bolts inside
Fully ported and polished 1G head
SSI valves
SBI Brass valve guides
BC 272/272 cams
BC Valve springs and titanium retainers
Ferrea Valve locks
Slowboy Racing Bastard 20g
ACT 2100 Clutch and ACT flywheel

The short block is fully assembled and hanging on the engine stand, awaiting the head to be completed, and installed along with the turbo. After that, flywheel and clutch need to be installed along with the tranny, which needs to be mated up. Then the madness begins.... :twisted:

After i get the engine in the car it should be just little things to get it going. Have to install a 255 fuel pump, plumb intercooler pipes, etc., little things such as that. It is kind of hard to work on it when you work all the time, so free time is devoted to it, whenever I get it that is. Anywho, thanks for looking, and on to the pictures ......

Right after I got it (notice the 3") took it that morning and had it ran. (t/t stealth in background)

All Stock 4g61

Pretty clean huh? Didn't even have to gut it and scrub it.

Had to put some 17s on it to help the looks some. (notice a Conquest in the background)

Getting ready to mount the front mount.

A shot sometime after it was mounted.

Random picture. (needs some tint right?)

Thanks again for looking. Any and all comments welcome, positive ones that is, lol. More pics to come later.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:18 am 
2nd Banana

Gorgeous car, how much did you snatch it up for if you don't mind my asking? I hate to post a negative comment, but those wheels really don't fit the car too well at all--looks like they belong on a '97 Pontiac Grand Am. Anyway, welcome to the site!

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:40 am 
Owner/Admin

welcome to 4g61t.org where the DSM-CSM er's rule :twisted: -that car is clean! please if you could VIN that car with flying eagle that would be great too! WELCOME! 8) SCOTT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:59 am 
Some call me a god

Welcome! Very clean gt!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:43 am 
CSM Junkie

I'm with Tonus about the wheels but man that is a very clean example. I'm also curious how good of a price you got it for. Welcome to the site, like I always say, best car forum on the web \:D/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:07 am 
The Silent Administrator

I'll chime in and officially ask for the VIN to put on the registry listings, althought not publicly viewable with regards to the actual VIN's, the rest of the cars options, and owner etc are the main part people get to see.
Check out the General Discussion section, top sticky for the registry post.

Your car is super clean, makes me jealous. :twisted:

Welcome and enjoy your stay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:14 am 

Thanks guys. About the wheels, to each his own I guess. I'm really not crazy about them on that car, but they sure do look a lot better than the stockers. And, they were just laying around not being used so, why not? They will do until I find a way to do a 5 lug swap from one of my Eclipse/Talons, or until I put some slicks on it after the 2.0 goes in. Ya'll are probably going to call bs on the price, but it was listed in the paper for $1500 OBO. "He was in need of money badly", he said, when I talked to him on the phone. When I went to look at it, I knew before I even got out of the car it was going home even if I couldn't talk the guy down on his price.

After a little fun drive up the road, I came back and looked the car over one more time, and asked whats the lowest he would go on his price, cash in hand? He said, "$1200 will take it home today". It was hard to believe that I had found such a clean original turbo car for that cheap, so I gladly paid the guy and then told him my plans for it, as far as 2.0 swap, and left.

He stated that he bought the car off of an older gentlemen and lady that had bought it new, still has owners manual and window sticker which boasts the price of $12,430 brand new back in 89(no air.) Also, he had recently took the car to the dealership and got the timing belt, water pump, and brand new OEM MHI turbo replaced on it (9b it looks like to me??? Same size as factory Stealth or VR-4.)

Anywho, thats my story of how I wound up with my Turbo Mirage. Thanks for all the comments guys, and Flying Eagle, as soon as I get a feel for the site, and figure out what I'm doing, lol, I will get the VIN up. Is it just a way to keep track of the ones that are/have been found and not crushed or junked? Just curious.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:35 am 
The Silent Administrator

http://forum.4g61t.org/viewtopic.php?t=19530

We get to know where these cars have been, where they are going (new buyer, stripped, crushed, junk yard for parts, etc.) and how many are left.
You can imagine that it's a bit of a task 20 years after a small run of cars is imported off the boat from Japan, that to find all the 4G61T cars, ~1500 in total under Mitsu and Dodge/Plymouth badging, could be a bit of a daunting task but determination prevailed and I decided to start the listing as the only means of keeping track of these cars. The boys at Galant VR4 keep track of their 2 year throne (91+92) with regards to being king of the country in VR4 terms (I'm not knowing if 3000GT's claim this timeframe as some sort of fame or not either), and do a great job of showing us, just how many cars are catalogued. The listing is only visible with regards to basic details and VIN's are only viewed by me, for the purpose of verification mostly, and sometimes to help people out, because you have to look up parts in CAPS based upon people's build codes, but any turbo VIN will do really. VIN's are not shared with anyone, period.
I take screen shots of the VIN listing, and it does not include any information pertaining to the actual VIN or serial numbers that are included on the firewall stamping. 8)
Hope that helps to sway you into putting up a listing. We've got ~100 of the 1500 listed so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:01 am 

Here are just a few of my 03 Evo that I bought back in February.

Minor mods, such as, BC 272/272 cams, full 3" exhaust, Forge Motorsports Adjustable Wastegate, and HKS SSQ BOV.

Wheels are 18" Exel RH-5s. Tail lights are MR tails, Carbon fiber UK trunk badge and diamond badges, 30% tint all the way around.

Sorry for the crappy quality pics, had resize them for here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:32 am 
2nd Banana

Wow, I didn't know you could get an original turbo car without A/C. You stole that thing for $1,200, you're a very lucky guy. I paid $2,200 for my Mirage, and it's in way worse shape, but the guy knew what he had so that's just how it goes. Let's see some pics of your StarQuests, I love those cars!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:22 pm 

Here are a couple of shots of my 87 and 88 ( the only 2 that are mobile out of the ones we have now, like any turbo dsm I guess, lol.) The 87 was my first car when i was 15. It was all stock minus a full 3" and K&N and non-jet valve head which was ported and polished.

The 88 (blue one) is a no title car which we gutted, and turned into a drag car with a g54b with some work done to it. It has a non-jet valve head ported and polished, schneider valve springs, RC 800cc injectors, full 3 inch exhaust, ported inlet and exhaust housing on stock rebuilt turbo, ACT clutch, MSD plug wires and NGK iridium plugs. Thats about it. When I say gutted I mean gutted. Sound proofing in floor and all. With almost stock g54b it ran mid and high 7s in the 1/8th mile, not bad for almost stock. Currently the engine is out of the car, and I am researching to do a 4g swap into it.

All of the others that we have are just junk parts cars, which range from 83 (first year) to 89 (last year.) I really wish that I had pics of all of the ones that me and my dad have owned, but that was in the day before we bought a digital cam. We have owned almost every color except for yellow, and the silver/blue looking color. Really would like to find a premo Fiji blue 88 or 89 and 2.0 swap it.

My 87 back in its better days

The body is kind of rough. It sat for years, we bought it for a parts car, and used the front end off of it on another one, it sat longer, then I decided to gut it and make use of it

Last edited by spoolin89 on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:27 pm 
CSM Junkie

very nice mirage.. looks to be mint.. wheels may look better once you get a little drop. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:44 pm 
2nd Banana

Nice. If I had a StarQuest I would immediately do anything and everything in my power to get a 4G63 under the hood. How light did you get that Conquest that you gutted to hell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:10 pm 
CSM Junkie

Wow, $1200.00! I'm very jealous. Some people just don't realize how rare these cars are and let them go for cheap.

Quote:
Wow, I didn't know you could get an original turbo car without A/C. You stole that thing for $1,200, you're a very lucky guy. I paid $2,200 for my Mirage, and it's in way worse shape, but the guy knew what he had so that's just how it goes. Let's see some pics of your StarQuests, I love those cars!
Really? I would have said yours is right up there with this one in terms of condition, those rims were still shiney :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:50 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Quote:
Really? I would have said yours is right up there with this one in terms of condition, those rims were still shiney :D .
Oh man. The paint on my roof is all oxidized, the paint on my hood is starting to get oxidized, my front & rear bumpers were re-painted by someone down the line and the color doesn't match the rest of the car, and they also painted over the black w/ red stripe moldings (drives me crazy), and I've got nasty purple tint all over my windows. True, my stock rims were in fantastic condition though, and the paint everywhere else on my car is pretty good, and it's very straight with no rust anywhere except for one little bubble on the passenger door, which I really can't figure out how that got there...