4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Devo's '92 Summit DL
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:21 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Hey folks, my name's Chris, i've been surfing the site for a couple weeks now, figured i should join up and say hello.

I own a 1992 Eagle Summit DL sedan, 5-speed that i bought on a whim from the local tire shop(the owner hangs onto the trade-ins for a local crappy car dealership) for a princely sum of 70$. after 200$ in parts, it passed the safety and e-test, and screamed through 6 months of pizza delivery(45000kms), and then had the crap kicked out of it when i started to autocross it.

i absolutely love the car, but haven't had the money to do anything special to it. The only thing i've done is slap a set of 15" Honda Accord rims on it(got them for 100$, but the center-bore didn't fit when i got them, a local shop machined the rims for me for 20$ and they went on perfectly after that) wrapped in Kumho all-seasons.

it runs strong right now, keeps me in the middle of the pack for the local autocross events, above some mildly impressive toys(new Civic SIs, my friend's 280ZX Turbo, and some talentless moron with an S2000), which makes me smile at the end of the day.

I do have plans for it, like Whiteline lowering springs and Koni shocks(the stock suspension is shot so i'm just waiting till i can afford the performance parts, rather than just replacing it all with OEM parts), some of the tricks i've been reading about on this forum(4G37 MAF, TB, injectors, and ECU, already sourced it all for less than 160$), Sprinthart CP-Fs (if i can find a good set), JDM bumpers and side skirts, and some fun (read: expensive) stuff from RPW, but that'll all come once it's not being eaten by rust.

that's primer and bondo on the roof, from my crappy attempt to fix the giant rust spots on my roof(it didn't work, it's already starting to bubble again). i'll grab some new pics in the next day or so of where the rust is growing, and of the car in less of a halfassed state.

Last edited by Devolution on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:59 pm 
CSM Junkie

welcome to the site. I can't wait to get my hands on a csm sedan. post up some more pics of the car.. it looks pretty good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:26 pm 
Some call me a god

Welcome to the board, does the summit have the 4g61 or 15? If you can, you may want to get that bodo back off, and put some por-15 on the inside and outside of the roof skin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:17 pm 

12V 4G15, with no plans for a motor swap. if i want 4G63 power i'll go drive my 2000GTX :D

and i actually need to take the time to tear that bondo off anyway, since it's bubbling again now. por-15 though? i'm new to bodywork, so i have no idea what that is. if it's anything that'll stop that damned rust from coming back, i'm all for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:05 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
12V 4G15, with no plans for a motor swap. if i want 4G63 power i'll go drive my 2000GTX :D

and i actually need to take the time to tear that bondo off anyway, since it's bubbling again now. por-15 though? i'm new to bodywork, so i have no idea what that is. if it's anything that'll stop that damned rust from coming back, i'm all for it.
It is supposed to work really well.

http://www.por15.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:18 pm 

well i managed to pick up all the 4G37 parts during a quick trip to the US. 3 different scrapyards and 170$USD later, I'm driving home with a smile on my face :)

put them all on the car on friday night(woohoo!), and fixed my high idle on saturday morning, in time for AutoX on sunday.

the difference? ridiculous. the car pulls so much harder on accel now.

only new pictures i have are from the autoX, since i can't find the cables for my own camera right now.

so much body roll....
and yes, one headlight is a different color :\ there was a chip in the lens when i bought it, and it was already brown then. so if someone wants to sell me a passenger side headlight for cheap, let me know :p

too bad i didn't get to use the full potential of the motor :| got home and realized that the slightly squishy gas pedal that i attributed to my new TB, was actually the carpet wedged under the gas pedal >< felt so dumb when i found that out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:00 pm 
CSM Junkie

Oh wow lol... that's some serious lean!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:09 pm 

Welcome!

I could have gotten you all the 4G37 parts for less than $100 probably including shipping. I make weekly trips to the local junkyards for people on here and get a decent hookup for buying so many parts. Lets just say they know me by name :P .

Car is looking good by the way! First black sedan I've seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:02 pm 
The happy administrator

I still have all my 4g37 stuff. People say they want to buy it and then disappear. >_< I think at last count, I've got 3 sets of injectors, 2 tb's (one for parts), the 4g15 intake manifold ported to match the tb, the maf and a spare 4g15 maf.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:23 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Quote:
so much body roll....
First step to quell that beast is to install the 92-95 Elantra Front Sway bar and matching endlinks; which are identical to CSM Turbo 89 parts. It is the single biggest improvement I ever felt when I was upgrading a bone stock 1992 Colt GT NA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:57 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
so much body roll....
First step to quell that beast is to install the 92-95 Elantra Front Sway bar and matching endlinks; which are identical to CSM Turbo 89 parts. It is the single biggest improvement I ever felt when I was upgrading a bone stock 1992 Colt GT NA.
I thought my elantra sway bar looked a little beefier than the one from my Colt. I have one of these as well for sale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:36 pm 

Quote:
could have gotten you all the 4G37 parts for less than $100 probably including shipping. I make weekly trips to the local junkyards for people on here and get a decent hookup for buying so many parts. Lets just say they know me by name .

Car is looking good by the way! First black sedan I've seen.
i even read your post on the FS/W forum the first day i was here, i just didn't think of it when it came down to actually buying the parts. oh well, i'll just have to remember that when i need something else :)

thanks for the comment too, though it only looks good from a distance(mmm rust on the rear quarters). i'll have to try and find my camera dongle tonight so i can get some pics of the cancer.

to be honest, mine was the first black sedan i'd seen(actually was the first sedan that i'd ever seen, period. there's only 5 of them in Sarnia, and that's including mine), but since then, i've found a clean, solid black one in a scrap yard about an hour away, so at least i have a good supply of body panels and doors if i need them :D
Quote:
the 4g15 intake manifold ported to match the tb
i need one of those, seeing as i'm a lazy bastid, and probably won't ever get around to porting mine. would you be willing to part with it? :D
Quote:
Quote:
so much body roll....
that'd have to be the second step actually, since most of the body roll can be attributed to my suspension needing to be replaced(45000kms in 6 months delivering pizza kinda killed my shocks). that's a good idea though, i'll have to look into it(read: i'll probably hit up 89Mirageman for one when i get paid :p).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:50 pm 

I'll make you a killer deal on a suspension package :P . I just bought a brand new set of KYB GR-2 fr and rr struts from another member on here and I probably won't use them as I just picked up a 95 Mirage to work on. The struts are for the 89-92 CSM's. I also have the larger elantra front swaybar like I mentioned above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:35 pm 

Quote:
I'll make you a killer deal on a suspension package
PM me and gimme a price :D

and i found the damn camera dongle! due to my enthusiasm, the pictures aren't that great(it's dark, so difficult to take decent pics). but here's the rust you can't see in any of the other pics :\

i also feel compelled to show off my awesome(read: ghetto) ECU installation:
heh, i didn't have time to tear the dash apart to get at the stock unit, so i just undid the connections and let it hang there for now :p

i'll take a few more of the interior tomorrow afternoon, when it's sunny out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:09 am 

It's not that bad, I've seen worse. For now you could clean it with a wire brush and apply something to stop it from getting any worse. I would hit up Eastwood for this as they have a bunch of autobody supplies.

As for the ecu just remove that gray kick panel right beside of it and the ecu slides up in there beside the dash. You don't have to remove any part of the dash to swap ecu's.

PM sent on the suspension.