4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 921 Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:01 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Purchasing a new stainless full length clutch cable that replaces the metal section that normally bolts to the bellhousing. Don't have many options now that the center metal section is likely tossed in the garbage can.

Things procured in the last couple of months:

Quaife LSD FWD, with bearings for the AWD.
Koyo Factory replacement radiator - direct replacement for my unusual factory radiator, see lines below for more commentary on that.
Radiator in the car when I purchased it - possibly some aftermarket upgrade with a larger upper hose inlet (?) 1-3/8", and outlet 1-3/8".

Further research dealing with 1800Radiator.com had the sales advisor calling the tech support guys. Tech support says that the 234 style radiator and factory replacement 235 variation I received, were all designed with a 1-1/8" upper inlet connection! When using the 1991 4g63t aluminum thermostat outlet, the hose size is 1-3/8" wide, so a little too big to connect to the rad inlet. Well, this was never an issue with the rad you see pictured above, as it had the dual matched sizing of 1-3/8" on both hose connections. The plot thickens..... So, I have pictured, the successor to the 234 (CU234 of which I have one also), which is the 235; as I was told over the phone.

Koyo factory replacement 235KO Inlet 1-1/8" inlet. Hmmm...

Spectra Premium (SPI) SPI CU234 radiators are not painted but have a neat feature on the upper hose attachment - they have a dual fitment inlet! The inlet necks up to a larger size as you push in to it's furthest inward position.

From all internet searching I could do, via Rockauto/1800Radiator/google, I have not found any dual core factory replacement radiators for the Mirage/Colt/Summit platform. Sure you can likely make a single core GVR4 radiator work, where the coolant overflow outlet is aimed to the wrong side of the car (easily remedied) Sure you can make other rads fit, but I wanted a direct fitment and was hoping to keep my stock fan in place, and locate a turbo model AC fan. It's looking more to me like the AC fan which I figure was mounted in front of the condenser, is the only option. There is no room for a second fan, with the currently installed shroud, which is from what I can tell, the original turbo model dedicated coolant/rad fan.

So, radiator fitment is now proper once again, but my car is AC equipped and as such, should likely have a dual fan setup? Right? Every car I see in for repair these days, that is AC equipped will have dual fans for the ultimate in engine and AC cooling abilities. Well, my car never came with a second fan. I always figured there had to be a second fan. Looking in ASA, I see pictures of a dual fan setup, but it shows both fans in the engine bay. Okay, that sounds logical! This won't work however .... and here's why. The fan and shroud you saw pictured above, takes up so much space across the engine side face of the radiator, that there is nothing left for fitment of a second fan and shroud, from the factory. Side note. Okay, my car had no AC tensioner assembly installed when I received it and until two years ago, the AC was not running with a belt. Once the tensioner and belt were installed, the AC functioned properly, but idling and at low speeds the AC performance was dropping off considerably and after a highway trip across town, on a hot day and subsequent idling in a drive thru, my engine performance dropped to almost nill where I couldn't accelerate the car and the engine almost stalled. Temps in the rad were within spec (not engine seizing hot), so I still have a few questions about the pressures that developed in the AC system , and or what was likely happening with overheated 2G MAF sensor. If the compressor was almost at the point of seizure/ from pressure but had not blown the pressure cap, this could explain an engine that could not get out of it's own way.

Back on topic, my car has a ceramic resistor much like the injector resistor pack on the firewall, up in front of the condenser. It was randomly zip tied to the radiator support bar. This was used for the second fan/AC fan. Not sure how much of the AC was disabled and removed when the PO performed the timing belt job and GVR4 intercooler/related piping, and as he told me, didn't want to take the time to re-install the AC bits that were removed in the process. So, was there a front mounted AC fan? Pusher style? Lots of cars have them now, tucked neatly in behind the bumper support and attached directly to the rad supports, or the condenser via tabs. Our condensers do not have tabs, but we have lots of nuts welded to the lower and upper portions of the radiator supports.

Anyone have an original turbo car with AC, that can take pics of their AC fan setup?

I need to dispell the myths I have in my head about factory fitments. I am not opposed to fitting a random fan in front of the condenser, but zip-tying to a component that is still charged with R12, is not what I want to do for many reasons.

Some day I will hook up an AC machine and see what my AC pressures are like at idle in the warm weather, with and without a second fan being controlled by the AC switches/module on the drivers side frame rail. On with the show .......

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:13 pm 
The Silent Administrator

What started this whole mess and helped me to tear down most of the drivetrain:

Possibly repairable? Likely, but with urethane mounts and upgrading the power path, I will back burner it for a while. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:47 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Went with some low end aftermarket adjustable cam gears and was sorely disappointed. Situation was right when I decided to spend more than double the initial investment, to upgrade to Fidanza adjustable cam gears in red/black. They look and feel and were machined the way things were supposed to be - heck it's supposed to be just as good as stock, but adjustable afterall! Lesson learned for that sort of part. Works well with the color scheme so far. Pics to follow soon enough. I just got the cylinder back on a few days ago.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:53 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Fidanza adjustable cam gears now in full effect!

Also did a little research into shifter pivot bushings needed for the 3G, 4G/EVO1-3/GVR4

C53a USDM
24594E MB580253 X1
24594B MB367320 X5

CA2A (4g 1.5L)/EVO1-2-3 CD9A/'91 GVR4 E39A
MB580253 X4
MB367320 X2

90 DSM
1988.05.1-1990.06.1
24594B MB580253 X4
24594E MB580253 X2

91 DSM
90.06.2-91-10.1
24594B MB580253 X4
90.06.2-94.05.1
24594E MB367320 X2

'92 GVR4
24594B MB367320 X4
24594E MB367320 X2

I've ordered a set of brass bushings (RTMRacing - 90 DSM/EVO-3 as listed) to see what is needed with my 3G shifter cable/4G shifter base and shifter pivot assembly.
Parts being ordered are as follows:

MB580253 x4 <- brass equivalents from RTM
MB367320 x5 <- that is likely 3 too many as the CA2A/EVO3 base likely uses only 2
MB307949 x1 <- the bushing cylinder that makes half of the pivot for the lower point of the shifter arm for the CA2A

MB367320's and MB307949, likely will be inbound from Japan.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:49 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Things I may be using to repair two leaking rads:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Alum ... /8471088.p

A little hotter than the rod used in this video:
http://youtu.be/ehMJPQ9ShyU

and finally, the original rad has a cracked upper neck/tank:

soldering iron .... maybe some filler material.

:rolleyes:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:13 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Okay, original radiator patched.

Koyo rad not returnable after almost 2 months sitting in my living room.
Koyo rad has a much thinner core section than the original rad (over 1.25") and the Spectra Premium (1.25") cores.

Big news! The stock Mirage/Colt turbo rad is a two row! I asked the manager to have a look and he removed the rad cap and showed me the rows or holes in the core .... stock is 2 row, or at least my car had a two row. Seeing pics of a rad for sale in Australia, it had the same look in every way, likely the stock rad is a two row. Over $1000 from Mitsu, but NLA. I looked it up online for shoots and giggles. I laughed out loud when I saw that.

Okay, ordered 1 of 2 Sansen(spelling?, Samsung?) radiators left in existence in North America (1800Radiator call every warehouse they had, and Koyo direct, and others to confirm any stock rads for an 89 Mirage turbo/Galant with 1.38" inlet and 1.38" outlet hose connectors, single or two row (preferred), and minimum 1.25" core thickness, all tabs on the end tanks for OEM fan placement. None left in North America, some options hadn't been ordered in :lol: over 38 months according to their systems. Haha. Doh!!!! Okay, manager said he's make another call once I told him about Galant/GVR4 rads being almost identical based upon photos online, same core sizing (or dam close), overall length the same, locating pins looked like a same spot left/right, not sure of in/out, inlet on the Galant is slightly moved, but less than an inch. They are the same darn radiator but with the overflow nipple facing the wrong way, easy fix, or move the overflow bottle. :lol:
According, once again to the manager who seemed like a stand-up guy, the Koyo I found for a GVR4 with this product code Koyo Cooling W0133-1816199 from the US (site is partsgeek and amazon) shows 7 in stock at "www.partsgeek.com". Hmmm ... something doesn't jive. I think they can't or won't see US stock the same way I'm seeing it, unless some of these sites are populating parts falsely, to make it seem like they have everything under the sun. None in any warehouses for 1800Radiator in NJ, Cali, nor Toronto. Strange ... the plot thickens.

Pics of the new radiator when it arrives.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:18 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Okay, album is here and pics of 4 radiators total, made up of 3 Mirage, 1 Galant VR4.
http://s483.photobucket.com/user/ColtRo ... ry/Archive

This is a radiator cool-off, head to head, of proportions never seen before and likely never again.

I hope this serves as proof that the market is saturated with all kinds of options, some of which you should not be fooled by when shopping for an upgraded turbo motor setup.

OEM radiator comes in at 2 row, ~<1.25" core thickness. No two core options could be found in OEM matching 4g61/t combinations. Only radiator available after calls to the US warehousing for 1800 Radiator, Koyo, and Canadian warehousing for 1800Radiator yielded only one radiator option that matched the main criteria for installing a radiator that at the very least matched the following spec's that I feel are a must when using a turbo setup, or else you end up a step backwards or more ..... Don't ask me how I know, this is how this update came about.

2 row or minimum thickness of core in a single configuration must match OEM or be thicker.
Same core length and height.
Same pin locations - or slight variation, Galant/VR4 rads share the same mounting pin locations!!
Inlet/outlet must be 1.375/1.38" (they cannot be 1.18") so as to match OEM 4g61/t,GVR4/TEL radiator inlets, all outlets 4g15/4g61/4g63 are 1.38"
Thermo switch location on bottom tank (extra location on SM 233SC!)
Same mounting tabs for stock fans (OEM C53A and Galant/VR4 share all the same tabs)

Pictures speak for themselves with regards to fitment of stock fan via the tabs, inlet moving over slightly when using the Galant radiator.

The C53/62 rads appear to be almost identical to the Galant rads, surprise surprise!

Talon/Eclipse/Laser radiators do not use a rad cap, but with the thermostat housing from a TEL being used, you could use a DSM rad in theory. I did not compare the pin locations on a DSM radiator. I had a spare years ago when we pulled from motor from a 1991 Eagle AWD, but it got heaved.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:26 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Mes ami, les "Selections du jour".

4 radiators.

Top to bottom:

Koyo C1379 (1800Radiator in house numbering 235 KO)
Mirage/Colt 1989-92
Koyo says this fits the 4g61t/4g61, as the part number supercedes from the 234 to the 235, this is not the case!
Inlet too small for the 4g6X motors, 1.18" as delivered, should be 1.38"!!!!
Will work with no modifications for the 4G15 motor, with respect to hoses, will need a sleeve to work with 4G6X hoses (Mirage/Colt/Galant/TEL)
Rows : 1
Core Depth : 5/8" deep
Core dimensions height and length : 14 3/4 x 26 5/16 x
Hose Inlet Size : 1 7/16 = 1.18"
Hose Outlet Size : 1.38"
235 superceded the 234 models according to Koyo
Painted glossy black

233 Samsung (?) Generic/White box
1989-93 Galant (VR4 included)SM (Samsung??) 233SC (box lettering SM# 233-A)
Rows : 1 - wide slot per row
Core depth : 1.25" deep
Tanks : plastic
coolant sensor, drain plug, and alternate /sensor/plug hole on bottom
Natural aluminum finish

OEM 1989 Mirage C53/C62 4g61t/1.6L DOHC
C53a MB538765 (superceded to MB660364 as of ASA 2007-12-28)
C62a MB538544 1988.04.1-1992.04.3 (superceded to MB538548)
Rows : 2
Core depth : ~ < 1.25" deep
Core : aluminum,
Tanks : Bakelite (?) - get brittle with age or are severely overheated
coolant sensor and drain plug
Painted black

234 Spectra Premium
1989 Mirage 4g61t/4g15 (CU234 superceded to CU235)
Rows: 1
Core Depth : 1" deep
Core Height 14 3/4"
Core Width 26 1/4"
Inlet Header 2 1/8" x 27 3/8"
Outlet Header 2 1/8" x 27 3/8"
Inlet 1 3/8"
Outlet 1 3/8"
Engine Oil Cooler None
Transmission Oil Cooler 13 1/2" (Concentric)
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 605012, MB538544, MB538546, MB538547, MB538548, MB605010, MB605012, MB605013, MB605014, MB605015, MB605016, MB605017
Finish : Natural aluminum

It should be said that if you use a Galant VR4 sized rad, it will have the overflow outlet located in a different direction. This is a good thing if you have a scenario where taking out your fans (in this case the stock shroud) is otherwise very tight. I have custom hard piping that must be removed in order to get the shroud out. It is not fun removing the J-pipe over and over. Consider this difference a small blessing. If however you have a custom hard pipe setup for your radiator top hose, the new location for the outlet may require tweaking the hose orientation. I was able to re-use the hose that fit the C53a turbo rad.

More pics to show that the Galant/GVR4 radiator is a direct fit, minus the mod for the overflow hose and slight change in location of the inlet. Also to note is the addition of an extra sensor location plug at the right corner of the bottom tank. Don't know what the thread is, now did I want to remove it. All the rubber used with the Samsung rad would crack with little to no heat cycling. I am now very wary of all offshore radiators that look identical to the Samsun model I received. They all have the same crimps for the end tanks, and identical construction. Be warned my Samsun rad leaked badly after a 250+F overheat that opened the rad cap. This should not be an issue .... think of the old days where engines overheated routinely. Sigh.

LEFT 4G61/t thermostat outlet to inlet at radiator, RIGHT 4g61/t radiator outlet to water pipe/water pump housing

OEM compared to 234 (now likely named 235 for future generations of production)

USDM/Canadian OEM C53A radiator and OEM C53A cooling fan

4g61/t Thermostat outlet

Top to bottom:
Spectra Premium CU234
Koyo 235KO
SM 233SC
OEM C53A

Top to bottom:
OEM C53A
SM 233SC

SM 233SC
OEM C53A

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:19 am 
The Silent Administrator

Cyclone update.

Got some pics of all the Cyclone bits. Further cutting to the support was required due to contact on one small bolt head at the compressor housing. I likely cut out a little more than is required, but nothing is moving on the back side of the motor. Not compromising structure, but it will be painted to keep it from rusting.

This will be like a color coded, adult required for assembly, kids play toy. The vacuum lines are color coded, making their installation pretty easy with the correct diagram.

You will see color dots on the sensors - likely only original Mitsubishi sourced sensors are color coded this way, but now you know the solenoids to look out for, or that can be matched to look original/work the same way. The color dots match the color code hash marks on the vacuum lines!!!! :P
One vacuum line or two do not have color codes on them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:03 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I wish you would make a tech article about this. I would like to use it in the near future on my talon build that I plan on using one of my cyclone intake on.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD
3 KIDS, FUTURE FIANCE, AND CAR ADDICTION

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:29 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I do have a tech article on how to install it, well most of it. It's posted at galantvr4.org in the newbies section.
http://galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showfla ... =0&fpart=1

More to follow on that and I will migrate that here too.

Few more pics of the Cyclone parts installed.

Also, the oil pan was dented and although the manual states to use the pan for supporting the motor, we all know that turns into a way to keep the motor lifted. Ahem, meaning you dent it everytime you to do this and push the lowest portion right into the pickup screen. Ask me how I know. I knew I had my 1.6T pan (identical by the way!) still greasy and sitting in the basement. So, a while back I cleaned it up, took off the rust, and painted it. I used a brass punch slightly rounded on the grinder, with a hammer, and it knocked the dents out really well. Heck even my drain plug was cocked and had to be reset, or well the base metal around it. Very happy with how it turned out.

Eh voila!

Old

New

SSSS threespeed.com
Scattershield being installed onto the KM210, F5M33 was going to take too long to build for this season; I want to drive it before the snow:

RTM Racing brass shifter cable *transmission side* bushings installed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:20 pm 
The Silent Administrator

So, got some parts cleaned up, prepped and painted. Also figured I would have to sort the vacuum hoses and wiring for the Cyclone diaphragm operation.

Bracket from head to TB. Had to be cut down to allow the studs/bolts to use the whole nut/lock washer. 2G TB elbow, 1G TB, longest studs I had around .... Cyclone or DSM 1G? Here is the result of a long battle with a grinding stone machine. :twisted:

Coolant temp sensor wiring jackets were cracked open. Wiring still great inside, just needed to stay warm so I zipped up the jackets. It's fall afterall.

Injector connector replacement time ...
UGH!!!!

Injector harness, quick release style with depression of the two side tangs! Dodge Caravan?
The wiring is better and more robust in these connectors also!
That should do nicely!
[URL=http://s483.photobucket.com/user/ColtRo ... 8.jpg.html]

Image[/URL]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:32 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Handy tool I use at work ....

Looking good!!!!!

It is never just one wire that has an issue after this many years and a few times being removed/connected/jostled.

California EGR solenoid on the right, FPR solenoid on the left. Neither of which I used for the Cyclone activation. I have the Cyclone solenoid. I surmise you might be able to use the EGR solenoid if all it does is open/close vacuum depending on which way you apply power/ground. The ECU is controlling the ground, and many of the solenoids and sensors all share the same power line from the #102/107 pins at the ECU. The harness you see is what I pulled the wiring from because I can have two solenoids powered side by side with this wiring removed from the connectors. The terminals can be moved into the FPR style connectors, and used with the Cyclone solenoid. Almost plug and play.

You will have to populate pin 53 on the middle (medium sized) connector at the ECU. Don't worry there are only a few pins missing on Federal/Canadian ECU plugs. I used a spare harness set from an Elantra 1.6/8 motor and used the copper colored pins for the sensor grounds ... seemed like it was a heavy gauge and a better style pin versus the usual chromed items. So, I made a wire long enough to go from the ECU, up and out the firewall just beside the strut tower and brake booster *(fished it down with a coat hanger), and ran it over to the solenoids. One simple spade connector is needed and it can be crimped/heat shrunk and installed into the factory connector. Pin 53 goes to the ground side of the solenoid. When I figure out with pin that is on the solenoid, I will post it.

Here's a good view of the 4g61t pinout:

Cyclone vacuum tubing ala ASA:

EGR solenoid info from the manual 89 Mirage turbo:

EGR solenoid California. Missing the nipple that should be facing straight up near the rounded portion on the right.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:26 pm 
Some call me a god

Will you be using the cyclone coil bracket? If so what spark plug wires will you use?

I have one of these manifolds and had to reconfigure the coils so that the plug wires would reach the right holes. Basically I unbolted the two coils from the bracket and swapped them. Now I'm diagnosing a miss fire at idle and think the wires are the cause.

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:57 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Well you caught me just shy of hitting the garage again. Good thing you reminded me of what to try with the wires. I have a new set of NGK's blues. Hoping they can be worked to allow a good fitment. I just modified the transistor plate to work with the pre-91 wiring, and I think with the transistor connector pointing downwards, versus the Cyclone originally pointing up for it's harness setup, I should be able to get this to work. Almost forgot I would have to switch around the wiring for the plugs ...... More to follow for both our sakes.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 921 Next