4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:45 pm 
Some call me a god

1990 Plymouth Colt (Dodge Colt/Mitsubishi Mirage/Eagle Summit)
Clean title, bought from the original owner who bought it off the lot for a little over $10k.
192xxx miles on the body, unknown exactly on the motor.
So here's the rundown, I bought this a year ago to save from the scrap yard pretty much. It was worn out, in rough shape but has no rust aside from the roof rust. It was a base model with no a/c, no p/s, no radio.

Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=40424

GVR-4 6 bolt 4g63 swap- motor is in great shape, it has been gone through at some point in its life, has a quality BSE kit (even the sprocket elimination spacer) and a MLS headgasket. I put all new Gates timing components and water pump on and new timing cover. Does not burn or leak any oil. Motor mounts are stock filled with 3m urethane. ($900)

Galant 90amp alternator ($100)

Radiator was swapped for a new Mirage GT unit, which is about twice as thick. ($100)

14b turbo with 2g manifold- this is the nicest 14b I've ever seen, no cracks, very tight. I ported the exhaust housing and manifold to match a 7cm thick gasket. New OEM turbo bolts and washers. Fed from the head with all stock lines, even water lines. ($225)

Treadstone TR6 intercooler- 22-6-3 1/2" - fits great under the bumper cover, crash beam is still there, cut for clearance, short route 2 1/2" piping with a 1g bov. GVR4 stock intake tube, bov re-circulated like stock. ($300)

Mirage GT transmission- shifts great, no grinds, short gearing makes for power at any speed really. ACT2600 with a Comp Clutch flywheel, smooth engagement, plenty of holding power. Mirage GT axles with DSM intermediate shaft. Filled with Redline fluid, new axle seals. Turbo Mirage master cylinder and slave cylinder with steel braided line. ($600)

I used a 1g DSM engine harness, cleaned it up, replaced broken pigtails and installed 2g injector pigtails. It has been hard wired (sodered and shrinkwrapped) for the swap. I also wired in the a/c stuff. Runs a 91-94 1g ECU.
($150)

Fuel system- stock blue top 450s and a 190 in tank Walbro, stock fpr, stock lines with new fuel filter. ($100)

I added A/C and P/S. A/C has a new dryer and condenser. ($200)

Windows were tinted professionally with 3m ceramic, 5% in back, 35% in front with lifetime guarantee ($190).

JVC cd player and speakers were added, 4" in the dash, 6x9 in some small boxes in the back. ($150)

Suspension was replaced with new struts and B&G lowering springs. ($350)

Front brakes were replaced with sedan stuff, vented rotors and bigger pads/calipers, hoses, all brand new. ($150)

Wheels are Konig Lace 15x6 with Yokohama 195/50/15 tires. ($800)

Exhaust is a 1g awd no name downpipe with custom welded catback. All mandrel bends, mig welded, turbo style muffler with stock style outlet. Does not stand out and has a good sound with minimal drone. Clearance was not easy, I'm very happy with how it turned out. ($400)

There isn't really anything I haven't touched with this car. It runs and drives great. I wanted to make this something my wife could enjoy but that didn't work so I just have an extra car that really never gets driven. This install looks nearly factory and that was what I wanted it to look like. This is not a hacked together, junk, sort of running car.

Here are the issues-
After getting the A/C installed, it was working well for a little while but the compressor went out. It was a used compressor so I took the chance. I have replaced the dryer and condenser with new units but the compressor needs to be swapped. I have 2 more used units but I'll leave it up to the new owner on if they want to try another used one or get a new one.

The tie rods need to be replaced. I have new Moog inner and outer pieces in hand, just haven't had time to install them and get it aligned. They are just causing a steering wheel shake at about 70mph. Edit- Just replaced both inner and outer tie rod ends today and had it aligned. Everything that is adjustable is in spec now. Just saved the new owner a couple hours of work and $90 on an alignment.

The radio power has a weird issue that I haven't looked into, again time. It turns off and on randomly. This turned out to be some sneaky corrosion built up under the power clamp on the battery. Started having issues with everything going dead like there was no power, right after turning the car off so I checked it and found that issue. It is still having issues with the radio turning off at higher volume and I'm still working on resolving them.

There is a good size dent in the driver's door, the paint is what you expect from a 25+ year old eco box, but there is literally no rust aside from the roof (common issue with these cars). I grinded the spots down to metal, used the rust treatment and sprayed some black paint on them. I planned on sanding it all down and just spraying the whole roof black to keep the rust from spreading. Rain wouldn't leave me alone to finish.

Interior is ok, again what you expect from a 25 year old eco box. I swapped the front seats out for some cloth which are pretty comfortable.

Asking prices-
Stock 450, stock ecu - $3200
680s, v3 ecu - $3700

I have spare parts that can be included as well.

Add up all the parts listed above and it is over $4000 and that doesn't include the price of the car or if you paid someone else to do the work. This isn't a project car, new compressor and you have a smooth riding, freeze your nipples off a/c, fun car. (tags are good, and this is a safety only inspection car) I'll be tinkering on the car as I have time.

Last edited by fastvtgsx on Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:30 pm 

Hey man I am really interested in the car ! What fuel are you running on it? Any ecmlink?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:13 pm 
Some call me a god

It's just running 93 pump. I have ecmlink, but it will be going with a stock 1g ecu.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:07 pm 
Some call me a god

Edited the post, replaced the inner and outer tie rods.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:38 pm 
Some call me a god

Price went up a little, it will be sold with ecmlink V3 and 680cc injectors installed and tuned. Make me a decent offer and come get it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:26 am 
Some call me a god

Fixed some boost leaks, running good. Can come a couple different ways.

Stock 450, stock ecu - $3300 3200
680s, v3 ecu - $3900. 3700

Last edited by fastvtgsx on Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:33 am 
Some call me a god

Still got it, looking sad just sitting in my driveway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:59 pm 
Some call me a god

Bump, still have it. It has literally been driven 50 miles in the last two months. Someone come buy this and enjoy it more than I can!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:28 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Pm me your phone number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:43 pm 
Some call me a god

No longer have the 1120s, but still available the other two ways.New prices

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:00 pm 
Some call me a god

Sold