4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:34 pm 

Mini cooper rotors are for the 4g/5g mirage guys which are 4x100. So much great info in this thread so far. I'm loving the super clean powder coated parts. I picked up the HF one over a year ago and its still sitting in storage in the top of my little workshop, never used it. I've searched youtube but if you ever feel the urge to do a write-up please do so. I'd love some tips from somebody who knows what they're doing 8) .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:23 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

It's not the greatest video on earth, or anything :lol:, It's just some of my booster findings,albeit in video format that I threw together quickly, I'll try and do better video in the near future, I'm not too good at it just yet, but for what it's worth, I'm only just starting the process.

I have several days worth of video when I got my first CSM [about a year or so ago :lol:] and every mod I had to do to get it to run and then some, I've had 4 people attempt to buy the car off of me in that time frame, with offers oh so tempting :lol: and for well over what I had paid for the car, but I always wanted to own one, and I don't feel like parting with it anytime soon.

I'd love to share my info on powder coating sometime in the near future, I have learned a lot from all you guys on here too, I liked seeing all the helpful build threads, and the wealth of tech info for our cars on here, and I wanted to give back to the 4g61t community, you guys have contributed some great stuff on this site to others too, and with that said, I wanted to give back in whatever way I could, you guys did some really cool stuff with these cars, and I feel as long as we share our info, they will likely stay around a lot longer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:35 pm 

Been hard at work these last few weeks, sand blasting cleaning and prepping parts for powder coating.
taking advantage of my new shop press, I tore down my complete supply of expo knuckles Imagefree photo upload [every now and then I get people asking me for these] every expo knuckle and hub will be cleaned I don't want rusty parts sitting in my in my garage if I can help it.

Before, sand blasting, prepping, and final coat...
Imageupload pictures

coated...
Imageimage upload no limit

6 down [including the 5 lug dsm hubs for my mirage] 8 hubs to go.
I plan on putting up an add for these in the near future if you need em now pm me.

And on-top of all of this I got a new rig for cheep it was in pieces, but I'm up for a challenge.
Imagescreenshot windows 7
the engine bay after light orange-glow cleaning.
Imageupload image
It's an "88 mighty max 4x4...it's interesting playing with carburetor equipped motors again :lol: not sure If I want to keep it long term might do a 4g63t swap if I can find some kind of smog loophole lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:22 pm 

I hate to threadjack... sorry MitsubishiKid!!

BLUF: I'm using a 2002 RSX Type S brake booster.

Let's play a game: go to the junkyard and look for something that works. My local yard didn't have the right Hyundai's to pull a booster from, as previously mentioned in this thread.

I noticed an RSX Type-S, although it did not use a spacer, the booster looked very close to the CSM, just a little larger and deeper. So I pulled it. Turns out even though It doesn't use a spacer the measurements are virtually the same. So I swapped the spacer over, the studs are long enough, and mounted it in the CSM. You would swear it's supposed to fit this car. Even the clevis pin lined up perfectly inside the car.

CSM bottom - RSX top

Fits perfect with no modification.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:51 pm 

Great find 92 gsr-4, does the stock csm master cylinder also bolt up to the rsx booster?

by the way I forgot to add here that the kia spectra of the same generation elantra also have the same booster as well, I mentioned it in the video but forgot to add that info here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:45 pm 

I watched your video and unfortunately the yard I visited did not have a spectra of the right year model either.

The stock CSM brake master cylinder fits the 02 RSX-S booster without issue. This also means the 3G style master cylinders will work too.

The key point is that the RSX brake booster had the same measurements as the CSM booster, though it did not use a spacer. So all I had to do was swap the spacer from the CSM booster and it fit perfectly.

In fact let me say this: all brake boosters seem to be standardized to a certain form factor. At least the Asian import cars. All the brake boosters I looked at from Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Mitsubishi had the same bolt pattern to the firewall and for a master cylinder. This means I could have pulled any master cylinder and any brake booster and they would pretty much work with each other. The only exception I saw was some Honda master cylinders that had a sleeve protruding from it where the rod from the brake booster slid into, but the bolt pattern for the master cylinder was still the same.

I believe there are several options for us including the ones that don't use a spacer. Chances are, if the studs are long enough then it will work in the CSM if you use the spacer on it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:54 pm 

I'm glad you shared the info with us, this is great, and I'd concur, within reason, to your statement about all boosters being the same on Asian import cars, and i'll add that in addition to the studs on the cabin side of the booster being longer for the spacer, the brake master cylinder studs, on the engine bay side of the booster, have to match the csm style brake master cylinder...
...well at least if you intend to use the stock, csm, evo, dsm,3kgt, brake master cylinder and fluid lines :).

I recently was at a parts yard and was pulling some parts off of an "95 mitsu expo that had a spacer on it's booster, it might be better then the csm unit, it looked almost like a 1g dsm one as far as size.

I know that the Acura rsx type s sounds more sporty then say a Hyundai/Kia offering, but if you look at specs, the boosters are vary close to the same as far as weight, and both are dual diaphragm, now whether or not they produce different results, that I want to see :D , I happen to have a mirage thats getting a big brake upgrade at the moment, and I have not swapped the booster, or the brake master in it yet, but I'm vary much tempted to go and get one of these boosters and then compare it to the red rockets setup, If I decide to do this I'll make a video showing the difference back to back, in a controlled manner, and I'm willing to compare both if I can find one in a parts yard locally, and of course I'll share all findings :D.

The red rocket stops really well with the current setup, you put a half inch or so of force into the brake pedal, and the car is stopping like you would in normal driving, if you push the brake pedal, like you would a stock csm, your passengers will hate you ask me how I know :lol:

Honestly I think pedal feel, and travel, is what the upgraded booster helped with the most, because I used to have to push a little bit more in to get the colt to stop... [this was pre boster swap with 2 piston gvr4 rotors and calipers stock booster on 1g dsm brake master cylinder]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:29 pm 

Yeah the RSX does sound sporty but I was thinking the same thing about the fact that the booster might not be the best choice. The only reason I picked it up was because it is very close to the same size as the CSM, is dual diaphragm and it fits.

If you get a chance to swap the RSX booster and use the 7/8 master/2-piston calipers I would love to hear about it. What I DONT want is something that is too sensitive and will lock the wheels up easily.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:48 pm 

I know it's been a few months since my last official build update, but I had a really good reason California's infamous smog :x was looming over my colt, and rather then wait for the cars tags to expire, I opted to get the smog out of the way early on, and long story short it passed after a few attempts, I might make another thread or a video on stuff to do to help get your cars to pass the CA emissions test, since I feel I discovered a few things along the way that might be helpful to others.

Now I have some more upgrades to add to the build, so lets get back into the red rocket project yet again.
pictured above: I got extremely lucky and found an auto 3g csm sedan with a tach gauge cluster.
pictured above:
The same 3g sedan also had the digital clock, I love not having to look down at my cd player to tell the time.
pictured above: I got my 20mm sway bar installed with superpro 20mm sway bar bushings, this upgrade is vary good the car feels ultimately more secure.
pictured above: I ordered a "92-"96 4th gen csm front strut tower brace from ebay, I had to use my die grinder on a few areas to get it to fit well, I also had to move my receiver drier a little to make room for it but well worth the effort.
pictured above: I decided to swap in the power steering setup from my mirage into the colt I also rebuilt the old rack and added new inner and outer tie rods while I was at it.

thats it for updates for now more to come.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:51 pm 

Sticking with the stealthy theme here, I managed to find a vintage 4 speed auto overdrive gear selector, eventually I plan to make this car an auto 4g63 swap, and I mostly have the wiring figured out to run the dsm 4 speed overdrive trans, I'll just wire it to the csms overdrive button seen in the image below.
There is also a power/eco interior select switch on the 1g dsm cars, which I intend to incorporate into the final build, and the switch, by chance, happens to fit snugly where the stock 3G csm coin tray goes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:32 pm 

I like that. I've seen people use the shift box or an aftermarket shifter also. Have you thought about that? Would eliminate the need for a TCU I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:05 pm 
Some call me a god

Those are some pretty good scores at the yard. Also digging the auto shifter idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:59 am 

Thats the plan I was looking at the road surge shift boxes, I might get one of those in the future the main point of sticking this overdrive shifter in was to make the car able to pass a smog ref inspection.

I still have to find the rare 4 speed turbo 1g auto trans, I might end up using a non turbo 4 speed trans, but I'm trying to avoid having to buy 2 auto transmissions, I have other things to address, first the front struts are likely blown so I will have to order a new set, and then I can then install the yoshifab camber plates, and then get rid of the worn stock rubber ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:23 am 
CSM Junkie

I recommend the ForcedFour boxes. They work amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:26 pm 

I'm open to all brands... where can I buy the forced 4 from?
the site seems to be out of stock at the moment.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next