4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 1993 Colt 6 Bolt
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:19 am 

So about 10 years ago I built this car and did the initial build with a stock 4g63t from a rolled over 1990 talon tsi I bought. Over the next few years I did a few small mods (added fmic, 510cc evo 1 injectors, MAFT and 3" gm maf, Evo 3 exhaust manifold, 255HP walbro fuel pump). I ran the car at the track and a best 1/4 mile time was a 13.2 @ 108 MPH on street tires. This was using a stock unported 14b turbo and tuning it with the MAFT(haha) by the seat of my pants. All that time it was running the stock 1.5L transmission and a ebay stage 3 6 puck clutch. It went through a total of 4 transmissions in 20,000 km's of street/track driving and one actually blew into small pieces on the highway at 100+ MPH onetime ahah. Car has sat for around 6 or 7 years now unused in a garage. Well the time has come to resurrect this little purple beast and get it back on the road.

Stage 1 (2015 season ) This build will continue with the FWD, but the first step will be swapping in a more capable transmission. For this stage 1 I have a FWD turbo 2g transmission, and hydraulic pedal assembly from a 1.8L 4th gen colt in order to properly do the swap. From there I have a low km 6 bolt 1990 4g63t engine that I recently acquired that im ready to test out. I will be keeping the stock bottom end components, along with the balance shafts for now. For the head it will remain the 1G large port head, and stock 1g intake manifold along with the kiggly springs/retainers and GSC S3 cams. The turbo selection will be a evo 3 16g along with a evo 3 o2 housing (ported). I will be purchasing some slicks and be going for around 350 WHP.

In Stage 2 (2016) I will be going full Evo drivetrain swap with all the parts from a written off evo 1 chassis I acquired. This will include swapping over the rear floorpan and frame rails from the evo into the 2 door colt chassis (very similar). This will include all the mounts for the evo rear subframe/suspension and fuel tank and also the driveshaft carrier mounting as well as the complete evo front subframe (with rack mounts flipped to mount the LHD steering rack) Bolted to this will be the evo 1 transmission and tcase along with all evo mounts/axles/hubs/suspension and brakes. All of these parts should swap directly into the 4th gen colt chassis with ease. All said and done the swap should look like a evo 1-3 from underneath but a lightweight 2 door colt coupe chassis on the outside :)

Stage 3 (2016-2017) This stage of the build will be all out power. This will include a fully built bottom end (possible stroker or true 2.4 build). Included will be a 600+ whp turbo/manifold setup (thinking GT35R based setup) and built stage 3 or 4 transmission.

Wish me Luck!

Engine and Bolt ons
-'90 6 bolt w/ stock headbolts and gasket for now (see how much it will handle)
-evo 3 16g w/ J-pipe
-ebay FMIC (evo 1-3 kit kit)
-GSC S3 stage 3 cams
-Kiggly beehive springs/titanium retainers
-new revised lifters
-ARP flywheel bolts
-ARP cam gear bolts
-gates kevlar timing and balance belts w/ zaklee cover
-GMB water pump and component kit w/ all new seals
- 2.5" exhaust cutout back with flowmaster super 40 muffler
-2g oil dipstick

Fuel System
-Walbro 255HP w re-wire kit
-China Aeromotive Fuel press regulator
-780cc FIC injectors
-AEM v2 methanol injection kit

Cooling system and oil
-external 15 row oil cooler with 10AN lines/fittings
-1990 oil filter housing
-full aluminum mishimoto race radiator
-full silicone coolant hose kit

Management/Electrics and gauges
-90' 1g DSM Eprom ECU w/ ostrich running Sweedensity.
-3 bar GM MAP and GM IAT
- innovate MTX-L wideband kit
-autometer volts
- autometer boost
-autometer electric oil temperature
-autometer mechanical oil pressure
-autometer electric coolant temp
-autometer full sweep 2000F* pyrometer with warning LED
-3" electric switch operated exhaust cutout kit
-lightweight AGM racing battery

Trans/clutch
-2g FWD turbo trans
-ACT 2100 w/ act 6 puck sprung
-ACT chromoly "Streetlight" FWD flywheel.

PIC of the colt that will be used in the build (pic from 5+ Years ago)Image

This is the parts evo I have sitting waiting to be torn apart. I also recently acquired the complete engine/drivetrain/subframes/suspension/wiring harness/ECU from another written off evo. I didn't keep the chassis on this one, but grabbed all the goodies and drivetrain parts so I have no shortage of spare parts for my build!

Post subject: Re: 1993 Colt 6 Bolt
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:25 pm 
CSM Junkie

stages are the best way to do it!
i actually completed my rear end install, and fuel tank relocation, then drove it out of the shop, took a few weeks off, then did awd trans install.
your car will be insane when its done. im in love with mine!
going awd was a very very hard decision to make. i went back and forth forever on it. in your situation its easy because you have an evo rear sitting there

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:36 pm 

PARTS!

heres some of the evo stuff

front subrframe and engine/trans/tcase from evo1

evo 7 bolt and trans

rear end and subframe

And the goodies, almost got everything, time to start tearing into her!

6 bolt going into the new build...going to get new goodies!

and here is how she sits currently. waiting for the original 6 bolt i swapped in 10 years ago to be pulled, and turned into a stroker build maybe :)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:00 pm 
Some call me a god

This is a clean swap using the LHD panels and floor. Get lots of spot weld drills.

A friend of mine did a LHD to RHD swap on a sedan. The front member was interesting, I think he moved the bracket off the LHD member to right on the RHD member in order to use RHD rack.

(He sold that car and I still am kicking myself for not picking it up. :cry: )

Stages is always good, my sedan went from a FWD 1.5 to a FWD 2.0 and then an AWD. The 3G conversions are not as clean as 4G swaps with EVO parts.

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm 
CSM Junkie

just looking at the pics of the rear end, my god that looks so eAsy! just need mounting points fir the 6 bolts there for the diff!
and the hard part, lining everything up, is already done

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:22 pm 

yup. the 4g coupe chassis and evo chassis are similar enough where the floorpan/trunk and driveshaft tunnel area will all be fairly easy to cut out and swap over I imagine. will come with the mounts for all the rear subframe and the fuel tank etc etc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:37 pm 

Back to this project!!! I'm 40 years old now 3 kids and, I think when I started this project I was around 21 years old haha

Awd swap is all done ( using all evo 1 GSR parts), full roll rage is installed

Still final assembly left to do.

Lots has changed!!

Still no way to upload pictures on here haha?