4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:16 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
about time u got back to this.. thing looks amazing.. great job man.. i need to start back up on mine now..havent touched it in a few years also.

Steve

Right? Motivation is hard to come by. It's front and center in the garage now and I'm running out of distractions/excuses to not work on it. Goal is to at least drive it to the shootout this year.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:12 am 

So.. it has fuel lines and it has brake lines.

Had big plans for this week but 90+ in the garage makes staying inside a more gooder idea.

Once I force myself to go out there need to get the brakes & clutch bled, move the battery to the back and wire it (and wire the fuel pump), rivet the aluminum panels down once and for all.. and I think that's basically it for the AWD swap-ness of the car.

Then the attention needs to be turned to the front. Figure out how to re-make the front cross member and core support, get the turbo in and plumbed. Then.. dare I say time to drive it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:27 am 

Buddy came over Saturday morning and proclaimed that we could get the car to drive to the shootout. I did not argue.

2 14 hr days and here's where it sits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EU6_y9-joE

After putting the diff cover on and filling it we learned that my axle seals are either bad or non-existent, so that has to come back off and axles need pulled out to see what is going on. Still have to weld in the harness bar, put harnesses in and seats in. Ordered tires a few minutes ago as it's been rolling on junkers for 5 years. All things considered I think it is completely plausable to drive the car to the car show Friday. No plans on racing but if I make it there and back I will be more than happy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:39 pm 

Niceee looks good. Hope to see it at the Shootout

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:12 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Extreme progress man! Keep on chuggin!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:46 am 

Got some more junk done last night..

Pulled the axles out.. bearings & seals were in there but the seals were junk. Luckily I ordered some at some point in the past 5 years so I cleaned everything up and put those in. I ordered an 8.8 gasket yesterday since apparently RTV wasn't enough to keep her from dripping. That should be here tomorrow.

Tracking claimed the tires would be here today.. but I just checked UPS again and it says EXCEPTION now.. :(

Hope to get a little more done tonight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:04 am 

new tires mounted, g20 bumper mounted, harness bar in, second rear panel in, etc etc..

tonight going to re-fill the front & rear diff, mount harnesses and seats, and drop her on the ground..

hopefully it goes straight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:25 am 

big night.. colt moved under its own power. put a couple miles on it. it's loud. shooting flames at the windshield is fun

it was also nearly midnight so i didnt go very far - but it went pretty well. need to raise the rear a little bit and cut the fuel cell mounting bolts. could probably use some stiffer rear shocks/springs as they seem a little weak.

it's always the little things that take forever. youd think putting the seats and harnesses in should take a half hour, maybe an hour tops. im pretty sure that took every bit of 2 or 3 hours due to fitment (they used to fit i swear), dealing with the harnesses, running to home depot to buy grade 8 junk, etc..

anyways heres how shes sitting now:

going to address a few small things tomorrow (like that passenger side headlight sitting way too high) and try to put some more miles on it to see what else creeps up - hopefully getting everything taken care of before the trip to the shootout

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:46 pm 

all thing considered it drives pretty good. runs well too. only issue im having is keeping it cool :( as it sat in that picture above temps steadily crept to 220-230+. a lot of foil tape, a sweet ram air duct, another fan, straight water w/ water wetter, etc etc etc and it's better but still not perfect.

all cleaned up:

and goal met, made it to the shootout. also made it back, had to pull over once due to temps :(

now back to this temp thing. today we put a little more foil tape on it and added the pusher fan and a new 180 t-stat. around town it will stay around 180-190 degrees with no issue. the second i get on the highway it starts creeping up. on a 10 mile jaunt @ 65-70mph it was at 210 and i think it would of kept climbing. the second i get off the highway it drops back down to 190-200 and stays there. i was shooting the laser thermometer around the engine bay and found the side of the rad right by the downpipe was like 350+ degrees so my friend made a heat shield out of a piece of scrap alum but I havent had a chance to go back on the highway.

im starting to think this half radiator thing just isnt going to cut it for the street but i hope im wrong.. because the alternative is a lot of work/money/time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:26 am 
CSM Junkie

That's been one long project, good to see it moving.

Holes in the bumper look terrible, but actually work.......

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:56 pm 

Do you have a picture of how the radiator and intercooler are situated in the bay? I am having a kind of very similar issue. Cruising at light throttle or on highway speeds (65 -75) on summer days and temps start to creep up 210+. But if I am beating on it with a heavy right foot around town the temps will stay in check much better...its weird. It kind of started when I installed my intercooler in front of my radiator. But my car blew a coolant line right before that too and it over heated so I am worried that foobared something.

EDIT: I removed my bumper on my way to work one day and electrical taped my blinkers to the crash beam and drove like that for a couple days and it still happened.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:15 am 

Are you running a full size or half radiator?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:16 am 

Quote:
That's been one long project, good to see it moving.

Holes in the bumper look terrible, but actually work.......
Thanks

And I ordered a tubular divided t3 mani last week, hopefully when that gets here I can get the turbo spun back around and my scirroco radiator back in there to alleviate these problems.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:05 pm 

I have a half rad with an rx7 vmount intercooler mounted in front. I didn't realize when I bought it that the end tanks are cast aluminium and I'm started to think it's causing wicked heat soak issues. I have the stuff all wired in to go speed density so I may start monitoring intake temps and see if I notice anything like that...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:51 pm 

I guess I left this thread hanging as usual.

After the shootout, continued to put miles on the car. It became harder and harder to start. I threw a new battery in it, ran a new battery wire, beefier ground, etc. It would start ok cold but once it was hot I was either push starting it or waiting for it to cool down.

Ignoring this I took it to a track rental and made a few passes. On low boost it hooked great (1.6-1.7s on DRs) but it was slower than it ever went FWD. 13.0+.

Last pass of the day motor finally told me to frig off. Lots of noises and had to push it on the trailer.

Couple months later I finally pulled the motor out and the pan off:

Woops

Fast forward ~6-8 months and here we are now. I had a spare block freshened up. Eagles/Weiscos, new bearings & rings, blah blah. My GTX appeared to be nuked after the track rental but after blasting it with piss 50 times and pumping it full of fresh oil it seems much less angry. Throwing caution to the wind on that one, will probably regret it.

Got the motor in a couple days ago and am buttoning everything up now, hopefully in time for the shootout. Planning on driving it to the car show, same as last year. Don't plan on racing.. same as last year.

Stop by and say hi. Will be there with this car and the rust rocket if all stars align (red 1g with a fender dump exhaust).

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next