4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:51 am 

I've been kicking the idea around for some time now to either turbo the Delta 2.7L V6 with a small turbo mounted underneath the engine or try for a 2G 63T swap. I've asked numerous Hyundai gurus about this and as far as I know, nobody has ever done it in this new of a Hyundai. The only reason that I can think of is because by this time Hyundai was actually making their own engines and they sort of strayed from Mitsu's engine design so much so that it would be a major fabrication job just to transplant the turbo engine into this car. I'm sure that my buddy Chris could figure out the wiring adaptation to the interior harness on the Sonata but the mounts would be the big question but I really don't see the 2G being too far off of the V6 that's already in it. I put some rims on it and lowered it but now it looks faster than it actually is. The 2.7 DOHC V6 is rated at 172HP@6000RPM and 180lb-ft@4000RPM so it's not exactly pushing you into the seat. Plus, its a 4 speed auto with manual shift so I'm sure that's not helping it. I would like to swap a 5 or 6 speed manual from a Tiburon but just finding a Sonata parts car that came with a manual to get the pedals, master and slave cylinders, and ECU from is almost impossible. Just a manual swap would make this thing so much more fun.

Anyway, what do y'all think? Do you think it'd be possible to throw a 63t in there? What would you do if you had this car? I'm sure I'm going to hear alot of, "sell it and get something else," but that's not an option right now. I just want a little more power than what I already have. Thanks guys!

...and yes, I've got that turbo itch again. I miss that surge of power when the turbo spools up.

Here's a quick pic...

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:39 am 

Man I actually saw one of these at the yard a while back with a manual trans but its long gone now. I pulled the head off and sold it to an evo guy. If you had the one with the 4 cylinder engine you could use an evo 8 turbo and mani on it and call it a day.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:54 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Yep it will be easier in a 4 cylinder platform, btw manual sonatas are a little bit hard to find