4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:02 pm 
Some call me a god

I have decided sense my TSi has some serious rot issues that I'm going to put it's parts to good use. This will be my second build thread and I'll try to keep it informative like my previous one. The drivetrain is going into my white 4 door mirage. So I am now in the process of tearing the TSi apart. I have a lot of the front end apart. Tomorrow I'll pull the rear suspension, rearend and driveshaft and start cutting up the frontend. Figured I'd put my un-employment to use. Don't really have a time frame in mind but I'm hoping it won't take more then a month to get done. Time will tell! Wish me luck. :lol:

Last edited by fastvtgsx on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 10 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:42 am 
Some call me a god

That's awesome! Post some pictures! :supz:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:13 pm 
Some call me a god

3 hours of work got the driveshaft and rearend completely unbolted and out. I need to finish pulling the fuel tank and then strip the interior then the sawzaw will get a workout and into the garage the mirage will come!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:36 pm 
Some call me a god

Good luck with the project, and long-live the white mirages! :salute:

It's crazy to see rusted out vehicles..it's like a culture shock, cause we don't really see too many of them here in the northwest.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:10 pm 
CSM O.G.

^^ thats exactly what I was thinking. Northwest is where its at especially for the older cars I am into. It is a regular thing to have someone from the rust belt or back east to buy a perfectly intact shell from over here and ship it or tow it home. What is a sitter to us is gold to them. I am speaking from a few years experience on vwvortex and the like.

Good luck on the AWD! wish I could get paid to work on my own car... lol

~

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:31 pm 

I know we talked before but this isn't my old TSI is it?

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:42 pm 
Some call me a god

nope, bought it from a local guy about a year and a half ago. I'm taking a food break right now. Got a lot done so far. The a/c is completely pulled intact, p/s pulled intact (putting p/s back in the mirage), wiring harness is out, dash is out, shifter assembly and cables are out. Interior is gutted from everything I want out of it. After I'm done eating I'll go get the lowerend out, drop the fuel tank and break out the sawzaw.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:49 pm 
Some call me a god

Short block pulled and front started on.

The beautiful underside of the TSi, this is what Vermont winters do to the cars here.

And where I left for the night, a good start I think. Hopefully I'll have the rest of it cut up tomorrow and be able to bring the mirage into the garage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:43 am 

Holy hell.

I've been told multiple times I should save my awd shells from the scrapyard and send them over to the other side of the world (eastern US). But I never do, they always hit the crusher.. Anyone from over there want to work out a deal ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:42 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Holy hell.

I've been told multiple times I should save my awd shells from the scrapyard and send them over to the other side of the world (eastern US). But I never do, they always hit the crusher.. Anyone from over there want to work out a deal ?
Yeah dude! How can you crush clean shells? That rust is typical of all 10-20 year old cars out here. Every time you crush a rust free shell, you're crushing a car thats better/safer than 25% of the cars on the road over here. Maybe 10%; but only because people all have to drive cars that are less than 5-10 years old because they rot out. It sucks to see people have to buy new Kia's and Hyundai's every three or four years, but it's not even worth it to DD a decent car out this way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:56 pm 
Some call me a god

Food break! This is how far I've gotten, after food I'll pull the talon pieces out and put the mirage in. I can't wait to be done cutting, my hands are sore.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:03 pm 

Wow, that looks like fun :lol: . Better get a tetanus shot if you haven't had one lately.

We have rust free shells down here too just sitting in the yards waiting to get crushed. It sucks to see them there knowing that someone could make better use of it.

Can't wait to see more progress on this thing. AWD CSM's are popping up everywhere now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:37 pm 
Some call me a god

The talon is now out of the garage, everything I need is off of it (I hope). I didn't pull the mirage in yet, I figured I'll replace the brakes and wheel bearings in the rear before taking up all the space with the mirage. It's hard keeping track of everything I need to do in what order. I think the first thing I want to do with the mirage is make the new motor mounts and then mount the awd tranny and xcase. After that move to the rearend mounting.

I'm still not sure what I am going to do with the fuel delivery. I have the talon and mirage's fuel tanks but I want to keep my trunk space but I also want to keep a stock filler and not pop my trunk to fill up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:59 pm 
Some call me a god

Today was pretty horrible as far as progress goes. I started out replacing the front wheel bearing seals which went nice and easy. I then moved onto the rearend and tried to remove the lug nuts. I got one side off after about 20 minutes of work (it has those horrible inside key lug nuts). I go to the other side, not happening. They ALL rounded out. So I try to weld on some 17mm bolts to them and get them off that way. Not happening there either, I either snapped the bolt or broke the welds. I take a break and move to the other side, get it completely apart and ready for new wheel bearings and seal. So after that I go back to the horrible side and try to take it apart as a complete hub. It's now broken down to where the hub is able to come out but I CAN NOT get it to come off. I've used rubber mallets, a 2 lb hammer and even and axe. It won't budge. I'm at a loss as to what I can do to get it out. I don't know how mechanics do this for a living, I'd kill myself. :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:20 pm 
CSM Expert

You unbolted the 24(?)mm nut behind the axle cup and removed the axle? The spindle should fall out after that.