4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 712 Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:48 pm 

I'm still inching along on this thing. As with most projects, the little details take longer than expected.

I upgraded to the 20mm elantra front swaybar since the engine/trans is out and it's super easy to get to.

New end-links from none other than rockauto.

280mm front rotors for a nissan sentra I believe, need to check the part #. I bought them back in the day for like $10 shipped each for my Summit wagon and never got around to using them. I also removed the stock front hubs and modded them so that the rotor would slide over them so no more captive rotor setup.

Wheels bolted on and back on the ground. I'm sure the engine/trans will drop the front an inch or two. Plus there are some parts in the hatch weighing it down. I still think I'll end up having to mod something in the rear though to raise it up a bit. We'll see.

Cable clutch pedal and manual brake pedal assembly ready to go in.

The hole was already in the firewall for the clutch cable to pass through, it was just capped off with a rubber plug. The actual bracket that's spot-welded to hold the cable in place was missing though so I fabbed something up. I started with a piece of 1/8" x 1" flat bar. I reamed a hole out in the center and drilled two smaller holes for the bolts to pass through. Then I chopped up the 4G15 water pipe and robbed a few inches since it fit the cable perfectly. A few welds to hold it together followed by some primer and satin black and it was ready to bolt in.

Both pedal assemblies bolted in.

I grabbed the 4g shifter assembly when I pulled the trans a while back. For some reason the auto and manual 3g shifters use different mounting points up front. The rear two holes are in the right spot and bolt up perfectly though. For the front some more 1/8" x 1" flat bar to the rescue. I cut a piece and bent it to fit the floorpan and drilled the two mounting holes and bolted it in place. Then I carefully lined up the 4g shifter assembly and marked where I needed to trim the base to give the front mounting bolts clearance. Mocked it up again and marked it, took it all back out and welded it up.

I also took the time to replace all of the soft or missing 4g bushings with the much stronger ones from a 1g dsm. This really tightened it up.

Where the cables pass through the firewall on the 4g is slightly different. Which isn't a big deal since that part has to be cut and drilled anyway. After marking it I used a punch to dimple the mounting holes to keep the bit from walking since its kinda awkward drilling there. Then I used a dremel and cutoff wheel to cut the square hole for the cables to pass through and bolted it up.

The entire dash was also pulled so that I could remove the 1.5 engine harness. I'll leave it out until the engine goes in. I plan to put the dsm harness in and plug everything up and then go back and loom and tape it all back up so that it looks like it was meant to be there. Some of the connectors for the A/C and brake M/C and other misc stuff are in different places on the dsm harness.

I stripped off all of the original loom and lengthened the wires on the white connector by the yellow ecu plugs. This allows all three of the connectors that plug into the 3g dash harness to be together. I plan to mount the ecu under the shift cables where the tcu was. I also removed everything on the dsm harness that I won't be using to make it look cleaner. I don't like a bunch of unused plugs hanging around in the engine bay.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:59 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Looking really good

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:17 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Those wheel should have been an option for these cars. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:47 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
That needs to stay exactly as it sits...just converted to 63t awd auto! Imagine how nuts that thing would be!
I thought the exact same thing with my awd colt (same white with red interior same stock 13s with stock hubcaps)
Unfortunately i could not fit 13 inch wheels with the talons disk brakes. I am going to some extra effort to NOT use the dsm stuff on my current awd swap just so i can retain the stock 13s of course i wont be able to run the hubcaps at the track :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:17 pm 

Some GT's came with a 14" steel wheel that looks just like the 13's. Some even had chrome beauty rings. They should clear stock dsm brakes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:03 am 
CSM Junkie

I had 5x114 bolt pattern and a set of 14 steelies. Not sure what they came from.
This build must be the first hydro to cable tranny swap in history! I dont understand why, its a very interesting build because its differrent. Did uou explain the purpose intended?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:18 am 
CSM Junkie

Please ignore that post. I went back and read the whole thing. Auto to cable swap The cable trans should hold the power no problem at all. Should be a reliable and fun car. I as well as most would just use the turbo engine and just keep the boost modest for reliability. But this is interesting because its not the norm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:59 am 

I agree, it's not the normal swap you see on here. There's many reasons for that and the biggest one is budget. I tried to use what I had laying around first and then go from there. We all know how simple it is to turbo a non turbo dsm though, so should I ever need a little more power it'll be as simple as adding a few wires and bolting on a turbo and I/C. Honestly though, I drive like an old man so I think 150hp or so will be plenty in this little monster. 8)

The transmission was the main factor really. As long as I stuck with a 1.5 trans the stock axles would snap right in. It still bolts to the larger 2.4 block perfectly. A buddy gave me a 1g 7 bolt na flywheel for helping him sort an adapter for larger front brakes on his 4g mirage. There was a cable clutch 3g hatch at the local JY to get a pedal from. I knew where a 4g trans was with decent miles for a great price. It has a mounting spot on the front of the case for a mount, which my 7 bolt 2.4 block does not. The 3g manual trans mount bolts right on the top. Rockauto had a blow-out on 1g dsm na clutches for $40 shipped and the list goes on. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:14 pm 

Engine and trans are in! Still a lot of little details and stuff to finish up but it should all be downhill from here. I believe this project will actually be finished. \:D/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:23 pm 
CSM Junkie

You are an inspiration! Thanks

Keane

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:43 pm 

Damn Chris, looks amazing!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:22 pm 
Some call me a god

Oh man, getting close! Don't sell this one!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:03 am 

Quote:
Oh man, getting close! Don't sell this one!!!! :lol:
No way, well not any time soon that is. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:15 pm 
CSM Junkie

Wow, very nice work Chris :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:02 pm 

Quote:
Wow, very nice work Chris :D
Says the guy that has a better than new GT. :lol:

Honestly I wanted to repaint the bay and clean up all the brake lines and all that good stuff but didn't want to drag this project out and lose interest in it. That has happened to me on my last few major projects. I figured it would be wise to just get this one going first and then go back and fix the little things that bother me once its running.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 712 Next