4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:40 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

My 1992 Dodge Colt with a 4g63

I need advice. I accept all criticism. I am a dsmer true to heart. I have 3 dsm. I have more parts laying around than I know what to do with. I don’t have time to work on much as something is always breaking right. Anyway, I have always wanted a colt with a 4g63t. I recently bought one locally for $1600. The car was slapped together somewhat for my taste. I brought it home and by best friend (female) thought it was the ugliest car she had seen and she fell in love with it. She took it apond herself to make this her project.
So here is what I bought. It is a 92 colt gt with a fwd turbo welded trans, stock 6bolt 4g63t, junk t25 2g turbo, slapped together 1g side mount intercooler, 2g injectors, apexi AFC, 1g stock Maf, 2g exhaust manifold, Broke shift cable, 3in downpipe flex coupler and 7in of pipe, refresh head, questionable cams, questionable fuel pump, Stock 165/50/r14 tires, 1g harness have not looked for knock sensor, and I am sure I am forgetting something now.

Cars Purpose: A.Street/ Drag, B. Fun, C. Female beat v8 guys cause ROFL D. To shut some people up We all know our reactions when a woman gets out of the driver seat at a cruise in.
Being streetable is very important cause she will want to take this on cruises and so on. Which brings me to my first point. It doesn’t have power steering, but a manual rack. She did muscle my fwd dsm without power steering once but it was scary and no fun. Will she be able to drive this with a manual rack? I know the 1.8L eclipse was not bad at all with a manual rack.
Well that is nice and all but I have some toys laying around that the (female) talking me into putting on the car aka she smiled. Lol

I NEED A TRANS CABLE PLEASE HELP FOUND AND PURCHASED

MOTOR
Upgrades: 20g, 660cc injectors, evo 8 intercooler placed where condenser goes, 2g manifold with hks standard external wastegate, 2in Honda 24x14 alum radiator, dsmlink maybe, and I am sure I am forgetting something now also.
The evo 8 intercooler is being fab by a friend to have the ports rear facing and believe it or not fits like a dream where the condenser would go. I want this car to be sleeper and no one to know it is turbo. I am recirculating the 1g bov and using a 1g air filter can. The intercooler will have a slim line fan in front and the radiator will have a slim line fan on it also.
Now for the issues. Keep in mind I have a lot of options and I am looking for a solution.
I plan on running 10psi daily, 16psi track, and 20psi in pissed off mode. The 20g is from a 90s drag car. It has had a long hard life and I don’t want to push it. I have been told that it has a old Buschur racing compressor housing ???? It doesn’t use a internal wastegate. The compressor housing does have a tap pad for tapping and using a internal wastegate, which I might. The turbine housing has a welded close wastegate flap, but I have another turbine housing. The turbo used a 2g manifold with a welded flange that has a HKS Standard Wastegate bolted to it. The Wastegate then runs to a open header under the alternator. The problem, I am having is the wastegate piping is in the way of the intercooler piping I need to run for the 20g and Evo 8 intercooler. So I have been looking for o2 housing that can use a external wastegate that is also recirculated back to the o2 exhaust. The open header doesn’t work for me anyway, as the (female) hates getting pulled over and she does a lot in my other toys. My wastegate options are the HKS standard External Wastegate, turbosmart or xs external wastegate, or a 16g internal wastegate. The problem with the internal wastegate is that it will be touching the radiator fan. Any advice is welcome and please let me know if you know of some cheaper o2 that take one of these external wastegates.

SUSPENSION
I have read too many non conclusion non detailed post about suspension and for you guys out there that don’t want to weld a 2in bracket on there rear axle (aka me) then you are looking for another solution. I do have a set of awd front and rear struts and springs, but sounds like a pain more than just buying the following.
From my understanding, correct me if I am wrong, to lower my car 1.6 in to 2.0 in I can buy the following and bolt together like legos?
89 colt gt struts:
KYB GR2 235033
KYB GR2 341084
89-92 Colt GT Lowering Springs:
B&G Lowering Springs 1.6 drop ($170)
Total for suspension using Rockauto and ??? was $319

TRACTION
Wheels: Redline 144 15x8 Gold
Tires:
Front: 225/45/r15 Nitto NT-01
Rear: 225/45/r15 Cheapest
I run AWD cars mostly and not use to traction issues. I want to hook. Will this hook? I don’t plan on using the NT-01 but on the track and if someone pisses me off then on the street. Correct me if I am wrong but the NT-01 are street legal?

EXHAUST
Like I said I have a short amount of exhaust.
Has anyone ran the 1g DSM FWD Megan Racing downpipe?
Has anyone ran the FWD MR downpipe and then bents a 90 to expel the exhaust out in front of the rear tire?
I will this weekend see if one of my many mufflers will fit in front of the rear tire.
Has anyone tried using parts of the 1g DSM FWD Punishment Racing catback?
Please help and all advice is accepted
I will write more tomorrow as I am tired of writing this twice.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD
3 KIDS, FUTURE FIANCE, AND CAR ADDICTION

Last edited by DSMERwCOLT on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 13 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:17 pm 
Some call me a god

A manual rack will be just fine, they are much easier than a dsm. As for the radiator a lot of people run vw scirocco one and tuck it into the core support. The exhaust you could run a dsm downpipe the rest would be easiest to make if you have access to a welder or someone that can weld.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:24 am 

Quote:
As for the radiator a lot of people run vw scirocco one and tuck it into the core support. The exhaust you could run a dsm downpipe the rest would be easiest to make if you have access to a welder or someone that can weld.
The Evo 8 intercooler is being tucked into the core support, which is why I went with the 2in alum HOnda radiator and slim lines fans. Also, it helped I already had off that laying around. Well getting a buddy to spend a weekend fabing a exhaust is hard to do. Everyone has there projects right now, which is why I was asking about premade system. You said using a dsm downpipe would be best, but which one, FWD or AWD?
I appreciate the response. It is good to know that the Manual rack is not a pain to steer.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD

Last edited by DSMERwCOLT on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:36 am 
CSM Junkie

Having a turbo colt (you can see me many times on the Southside on Friday/SAturday nights) I highly recommend the Moving your FMIC forward and getting a scirocco radiator. The radiator works great, and moving it into the core support allows for standard short route IC routing. Rob (riceless90) is running a FMIC in the stock bumper in his pristine 92 colt here in indy. JUst give it a little flat black paint and it disappears.

As for exhaust, Rob's colt had the exhaust routed to exit before the rear tire. That was so annoying. Just drones all day long. He fabbed up an exhaust and put the muffler where the spare tire well is, nice and stealthy.

It is hard to be a sleeper here in Indy. There are only (outside of yours) 2 turbo colts running around here, Mine and Robs. Took two people needing to be posterized to get the word out on the 2 16g powered colts :)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:00 am 

I don't do the Indy scene. I did when I had my evo 8 out for a bit (2008), which was a blast. I just moved here. I am working here for a few months and then I am going out west. Everyone who knows me knows I turbo everything except for my classic muscle. I buy enough cars that people cant keep track of what is and is not "fast". Example if you have 4 black and silver 1ga talon tsi then people get confused what is fast. lol I am keeping this Colt a sleeper. Besides this forumn only 4 people know about it, which is why I will let the (female) drive. lol I like the radiator that is being recommended. But I had everything laying around for the intercooler and radiator. I hate front mounts and rather run water to air intercooler. The wastegate will be an issue but I will get some pictures this weekend if I can get my Intercooler fab up tonight. We will see how good my Machinest buddy is.

I am worried about traction. My fwd talon tsi has issues above 4500rpm when the motor finally opens up and I can spin a 205/55/r16 all day. I have read everyone saying LS is the way to go for street but will this solve all the problems or should I be looking at some antihop bars. I have built a few turbo hondas and this was my solution every time.
Keep in mine my colt front end just got MOOG new bushnigs, tie rods, and ball joints.
I have also been trying to figure out what kind of times I should be expecting from the car. Yes, just like everyone says, I can drive.
Trying to teach the (female) how to hook and drive is another issue we will see soon enough. She is getting to learn to drive this car on some crap tires I have.
Thomcasey, you know where I can get some shift cables?
I assume there are some turbo mirages around here. I mean a few months ago chicago had 3 mirage, colt, summits for sale that were turbo.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:15 am 
CSM Junkie

The FWD downpipe is a better fit, but the AWD downpipe fits as well. I'm using an Ebay 3" AWD DP on my car, and the difference is so slight, that it's negligable, IMO. The only thing the FWD has going for it is that it makes a bit more of a hook at the end than the AWD one does. My AWD DP needed some clearancing (a 1" section of pinch lip needed folding on the underside), no big deal. They both hang at exactly the same height.

As far as traction...you'll spin more with the colt than any talon/eclipse. The wheelbase is shorter, so when it launches or the torque spike hits, the squat will lift the front more than a DSM would. Physics is your enemy at this point :(.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:40 am 
CSM Junkie

I may hae a spare set of shift cables. When I bought my colt, I also got everything from a basic colt, minus the main body. Not sure if there is a difference between turbo/NA cables. I thought they were the same.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:43 am 
CSM Junkie

The NA colt cables are the same, the shift arms on the tranny are what's different.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:47 am 

I have the shift bracket that bolts to the trans, if that is what you are referring to Broke4speed

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:05 pm 
CSM Junkie

I mean the arms that the cables attach to, at the tranny. One for front/back motion and one for up/down :).
NA colt cables will work with a DSM transmission, or a Colt GT transmission.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:16 pm 

Ok thanks now just to find some unless Thomcasey can come through with some

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:34 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
It is hard to be a sleeper here in Indy. There are only (outside of yours) 2 turbo colts running around here, Mine and Robs. Took two people needing to be posterized to get the word out on the 2 16g powered colts :)
Correction, 3 turbo colts in the area.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:52 pm 

The 92-95 Elantra cables are the same too. Some csm cables are not adjustable but that's no biggie.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:29 am 

Thanks for the info.
I got the intercooler fab up last night. My buddies welder at his shop was not working right. He is waiting until today to see his welding expert and see if they cant figure out the problem. I don't weld so I have no frame of reference. But I must say having a shop full of fabing tools is really nice. My angle grinder and dremmel does the Job, but having a mill, band saw, belt sander, drill press, and other toys really helps. it looks like I am going to try to talk him into some more work when I can. He is working on a k5, so most of his time goes to that. :rolleyes:

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:09 am 

KEEP IN MIND THE MOTOR IS ON NO MOUNTS. IT WILL SIT .5IN TO 1IN TOWARDS THE REAR. I am doing a timing job.
So I found out that they put a 6bolt motor, 1g 7bolt head, 2g cams, and 2g crank position plate jerks
So I did my timing job like always. I kept getting stuck. Well I found out they used a 2g crank position plate for the timing. They also strip and swelled the crank bolt. So I had to time the car the old fashion way with a screw driver in the head and find top dead center. It made for a longer harder job. I also had to undo all the motor and trans mount to get the unoridox underdrive pulley off. So it was a long weekend.
I put in 90 turbo cams also
GOOD NEWS I HAVE PICTURES
SORRY I TOOK THEM AS I WAS WALKING OUT OF THE SHOP
Gap betweein the Slim 14in pull mishimoto fan and the Turbo

Throttle body to intercooler piping

Intercooler flush into the core support also wastegate location. I didn't have time to drop on the cap but it is 5mils maybe apart
Intercooler inlet and Wastegate position

Front of the Core support which will be getting a 12 in or 10in push Mishimoto push rad fan, I think it will be confused with a Rad

My buddy welded the stock holes on the intercooler and we reposition the inlet and outlet. I had to bang a small amount behind the headlight but not much.

I hope my links work there is more pictures and some of my srt4 when I had it
I am not looking for a Throttle Body Elbow
Also Thanks to thomcasey for the Trans Cables.
I am sure that the (Female) will get them installed this week if she has time between test, hw, and other nursing school activities.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

Last edited by DSMERwCOLT on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.