4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:10 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I just want a sure thing for my current setup. I don't want to buy 9 axles or spend the day doing axles swaps as easy as it may be I hate trans fuild. lol
Also wtf is a colt vista axle. I can get those also.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD
3 KIDS, FUTURE FIANCE, AND CAR ADDICTION

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:20 pm 

The colt vista was Plymouth's version of the expo or summit wagon. The knuckles are what you're after, not the axles. This would also get rid of the captive front rotors on the 3g's too. If you're looking to go the easy route, hunt down the original 89 turbo intermediate shaft and both axles. These will simply go right in and fit perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:04 pm 

I have spent 2 day trying to hunt the buggers down and cant find them.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:19 pm 

So I purchases a knock off hks standard wastegate, Colt gt Turbo outer driver side cvaxle, and speed density.
I have a dsm awd intermediate shaft I am going to try to use with the cv axle seals and diff seal I ordered.
I really want this car to be done this weekend.
I cant believe 5 things are preventing me from Shootout. So disappointed at myself

Looking for expo knuckles, calibers, and etc I might as well upgrade the brakes

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:09 am 
The happy administrator

Forget about the "GT" designation, it's a trim level, searching via "GT" will end up with 1.5/1.6NT/1.6T. You're after turbo mirage axles. You can look them up at carquest, they usually come up under a '88 Mitsu Mirage Turbo OR use the part numbers in the first post of this topic.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:25 pm 

OK so I have a big failure weekend. I am super butt hurt about the entire event. I just got ticked off and went longboarding both Saturday and Sunday. Found out my turbo was blown (Sat). Sunday, I went to insert the seal with the trans in the car. I used a 32mm socket to pop it in. I thought it was going in smooth aka crooked and bent. I am ordering another this week. I am also going to find a non dealership part number for the MD707184. From my quick measurements with a caliper. MD707184 has the ID of a AWD Intermediate shaft and I did slip it on the intermediate shaft. It had a nice seal. The MD707184 had roughly the same OD as the FWD seal. I didn't care to measure it to much and it was within .1 of a mm so I went to install it like a child rushing through hw to play video games.
I will get better results this next weekend as it will be on the road.

I got the intercooler water system tighten up. I installed my small 16g. I need to tap the oil pan for a bigger oil return bolts. I cant understand why everyone over tightens these bolts. I need to redo my intercooler piping due to the difference in the outlet.
I am having the throttle body elbow welded the air temp sensor bunge this week. I am using my old srt intake cut in pieces to make a intake with a filter. I have not yet mocked this up yet.
I need to research if I can use one of the throttle body vacuum lines for the map sensor. I have a problem with my intake in that the previous owner welded a plug into the port for the pcv. I might get frisky and take the intake off and just tap a hole and fitting into one of my spare intakes. I probably won't have time yet and will need a quick solution.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:08 am 

UPDATE TIME:::::
So I blew the 20g sky high locked up and now is a really nice fancy desk ornament
I installed a small 16 that has no real miles on it. The intercooler piping is slap together and look horrible. I barely have enough room for the MAFs. I hope to rework some of this Friday night. The brake booster was not working so I started to replace it. First step remove the brake booster line. It hissed like no other. I and my buddy were confused. I installed the line and checked for holes the week before and found nothing. I started the car and guess what the brakes now work with the booster. I need to bleed the system of the brown brake fluid, but they work. Did you know for $100 you can order a new master cylinder, 2 rebuilt front calipers, 2 rebuilt wheel cylinders, and new shoes through Rockauto lol. I ordered it cause it was only $100 even though I will probably go with the expo knuckles. So brakes work for now.
So I had to grind around 4 to 5mm of the intermediate shaft off on the side that goes into the transmission. I also had to use a tungsten carbide drimmel bit to make the bracket holes lower. The Bracket holes lowered the bolt locations to center the intermediate shaft. If I didn't do this the intermediate shaft would have been pressed down and ate bearings. After drimmeling the holes, the intermediate shaft sat center up and down. Then came the problem of front to back. I had to shim the bracket to the block on the passenger side of the bracket by 3ish mm (2 harden washers). I then just tighten the passenger side bolt and measured from the block to the bracket for the driver side bolt. I used 7 harden washers for reference. I did this the entire time checking to see if the intermediate shaft was going to bind. :D
The driver side turbo colt cv axle was not long enough in my opinion. I notice with the wheel off and jacked that it stretched the boot of the cv axle pretty far. I installed a 2 sae 1in ID washer from Menards between the cv axle and wheel bearing. It worked great, but I still need to see what the boot looks like when the car is on the ground without the spacers. I just had to run to menards and I knew it would work. I had plenty of thread for the castle nut.
After all that we started to tune. It felt so so so nice to drive the car. We got all the low throttle fueling done and it drove like a champ around my neighborhood. It was time for some more aggressive pulls. Then we hear a coupler pop, checked and reinstalled. I did one more small pull and everything started to act crazy when I would hit the throttle more than 25%. It still drove fine on the way back just over a mile. We get it to my house and I am freaking what could be the problem. I blew a hole in one of the cheap 3in couplers I had from one of my old intercooler kit from 7 years ago. I had no 3in couplers nor did the parts stores have something long enough. I had to get back to Indy so I left for the weekend.
I checked the cvaxles and no leaks and nothing popped out. I thank God.
So I will post my findings on the cv axle in my other post later this week. The MD707184 seal worked perfect. The awd seal ID is a bit bigger than the MD707184 but not a noticeable amount unless looking for it like I was.

So I got a 22x10x1.75 core heat exchangers for the car. I also have 2 10in push fans for the front of the heat exchanger. I am going to have to use the 12in fan as a pull fan for the honda dual core radiator. My water temps for the weekend where at 216 or below. I only had a 10in push fan on it at the time. I am hoping the flow rate is the issue more than the size. I also don't know the thermostat temp also. I might put a lower thermostat in also.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:30 am 

That is quite the sleeper you have there. Sounds like almost all of the bugs are worked out too. Props for digging in and finishing it. These swaps have made quite a few give up and part their cars out. I tell them it's worth it if you stick it out though. That 1st test drive makes you forget about the busted knuckles and headaches that you went through to get there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:22 am 

89Mirageman that means a lot. It really does. I won't lie, I twice almost set it on fire. lol

For the last year, I have been building one of my blocks off and on (needs double checked), but most of my car time has been going to my buddies 90 tsi awd. The previous owner ripped everything out to do a v8 car. Every bolt was removed and put back in the car in the last year. 91 wiring harness complete from the rear to the very front. It kicked my :butthead: a bunch, but lucky for him I have a dsm addiction and own my own graveyard practically. I thought that car was bad, but it was just finding all the parts due to I moved twice in 6months so I didn't know where anything is located. For this car, it was tracking down information and everyone seems to have a bit of a different way of doing it.
My car is a long way from done, but I want it on the road so I can daily it. If I can get it mechanically DD, then I can do alot more with it during the week. I have only been able to work on the car on the weekends. I been spending money like I have a money tree.
What is next.....looking at different turbo options. I love the small 16g (used it on my fwd tsi), but I will have more tire spin than anything due to the really quick spool. FP has a MHI 20g from Mitsu and internal wastegate for $717.5 if ordered through Extremepsi. Neil from extremepsi is trying to talk me into a precision. It is newer design and not old technology. I am all for it if I can get compressor maps. I want a high efficiency turbo with a very wide map. I know that seems stupid for most people that are just concern with power, but I want to see what kind of gas mileage/power I can get. My tuner said he will get me 36mpg on the highway with the small 16g. This is based off some of the things he has read and that I have shown him. cross my fingers We are going to do a dd tune (more aggressive) and then an over the road tune (leaned out) due to being on the road a lot. I have v3 now in the car so it is just a matter of poping the laptop open.
So I hope to have speed density on before MOD. I need to redo all my intercooler piping. I want to run straight from the turbo outlet to the intercooler (not low and into the wheel well), which means having a custom j-pipe made. I need it to just make a 90 out of the turbo and go towards the passenger tire. So I can run the intercooler piping just behind the passenger headlight and make a 120 into the intercooler. My intercooler is a 3in and I was going to stage my expansion. I might be able to talk a local shop into making me a 1 piece mandrel bent setup. I also want to get rid of the 1g bov what is the quitest bov? Who makes short intake for guys running speed density? Normally a intake has the filter higher than the turbo via s bend. I want to flip this and make the filter be right by the trans fill plug and run kind of over top of the shift cables.
I hope to be able to get my tuner out to the house Friday night and pull a all nighter. On Saturday morning I have a 3 hour road trip to a family reunion and I really want to take the car. I have a few supporting family members that would really like to see the tin can.

My idea for the air filter route. Just above the lower radiator hose. Also down and around the shift cables placing the Filter by the trans fill plug. I will make a splash guard
I borrowed someone image from here. This is not my car, but I didn't have a pick with the shift cables and turbo outlet. If this is a problem, I will take it down. PAINT SKILLS NEED NOT APPLY

Here is my intercooler routing but under the upper radiator hose. I KNOW EVERYONE WILL BE JELLY OF MY PAINT SKILLS lol

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:06 am 
Some call me a god

That's very similar to how my intake is ran, I run the filter bare but a shield wouldn't be a bad idea.

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:24 am 

Nocturnal where did you get your intake tube??
I was thinking something cheap like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390495787184?ss ... 1423.l2649
I mean it includes the filter. I also assumed I could get a angled couper off the turbo if need be that would go from the 4in to 2.25in inlet of the small 16g. I think it is 2.25? I will have to look that up

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:10 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Nocturnal where did you get your intake tube??
I was thinking something cheap like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390495787184?ss ... 1423.l2649
I mean it includes the filter. I also assumed I could get a angled couper off the turbo if need be that would go from the 4in to 2.25in inlet of the small 16g. I think it is 2.25? I will have to look that up
Try http://www.Siliconeintakes.com. You can get any bend you want and the proper couplers. You can do an intake, minus the filter for less than $30

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:00 am 
Some call me a god

I used this and cut it down, at the time they had anodized purple ones and it had the proper bend so that's why I chose it.http://www.ebay.com/itm/BCP-RED-90-93-A ... c3&vxp=mtr

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:22 am 

Nocturnal a picture of it installed would help me out a lot. Thanks

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:33 pm 

I have been getting superheated. I have had a 10in push and 12in fan pull on the honda half radiator.
Long story short no matter what I do the car gets to 215F and I cant do a thing about it.
I even removed the thermostat and it gets warm just as fast as with it (as a normal dsm)
I have no idea what the problem is but my buddy thinks I have vapor lock. He thinks the combustion gas is getting to the water and super heating it.
I plan on replacing the head gasket this weekend. He has some type of test he will run tonight to check the headgasket.
My compression with the car around 180F was (1 150) (2 135) (3 135) (4 135)
On my last drive the car got up to 250F which the car was turned off and rad cap release with the fans turned on. I have the fans on a switch.
I also left the hood open and pushed her home. It is thought that my thermostat was stuck. Then it was thought I had a bad radiator cap. Then it was thought it was cause I had 2 radiator caps on the system, but I blocked one.
I the next morning started her and now question myself a lot. I have a knock that I cant tell if it was already there and is just the rear engine mount or is one of the pistons. It is louder in the rear of the block than the front. Keep in mind the noise is only there at idle and goes away when you rev the motor. I am crossing my fingers it is not engine knock. The Ecu was not reading anything. When I have the head off I will look at the rear engine mount. I have a feeling the polyurethane mount bushing is a bigger diameter than the motor bracket so the bolt bounces against the bushing.. How I feel about the car :vom:
I need input and can answer questions.

I just ordered the scirocco radiator and I am putting the

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next