4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:05 pm 

I have bought almost every single part I'm throwing at this car on eBay. Most are name brands of course but I did cut a few corners that might haunt me, like the chinese header (the stock many cracked in 4 places after being repaired once. the repair held, they were new...) I didnt have a choice at the time but it's easy enough to change that I'll run it until it falls apart, then buy a nice one. :D

Edit (3.9.2014): That whole thing about buying all the parts on eBay went out the window a looong time ago.... I have gotten rather picky as time goes on and some things just aren't to be bought used!

Last edited by Gearhead1_6Hyundai on Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:45 pm 

(********DISCLAIMER********)
In the last year, my car project has been derailed by the rest of my life. In the background of the pic of my car in post #1, you can see my DD on jack stands... I ended up having to replace almost every part that bolts to the front passenger wheel, with almost NO exaggeration. My wife side swiped the curb at about 25 after over correcting for a truck coming into her lane. Broke the lower control arm, spindle, axle, and sway bar link. Bent to the point of replacing the engine cradle, strut, rack & pinion, and both passenger side rims. Also wasted both passenger side tires. So, my project budget took a back seat to that nightmare.
(************************)

On a brighter note, I have made some progress on what I have affectionately been calling the "Mitsundai" as far as the gathering of parts goes:

^^I got to turn this^^
^^Into this^^
I also got a Mitsubishi turbo ECU and had ECMLink do their magic on it:
^^GM MAF to Mitsubishi MAF (Thanks to ECMLink)^^
^^To connect to ECMLink via OBD port^^

I am going to have to change the engine wiring harness to Mitsubishi (or at least most of the plugs) because at first glance they look the same but Hyundai changed them just enough. This will probably save me money in the long run, I have had a few parts that were fun to find b/c they were Hyundai. Eclipses grow on trees around here, not really a problem to find anything for them.

Hopefully, I have as little trouble finding the time to work on it this year as I do those parts... More pics and (hopefully) more progress to come.

(edit: spelling/grammar)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:16 pm 

Ok, I need a little help.... I want to switch out the engine harness to Mitsubishi. I don't know for sure what year/model I need to get. I'm building a 1G car, ECMLink ECU, and 3" GM MAF sensor. I have the adapter from ECMLink, which is how I realized that I needed to rewire. #-o I also now have a knock board in my ECU and I have to add the injector pack for the 450cc injectors I'll be running. Should I be looking at DSM, CSM, turbo, non-turbo, manual (car is now), auto (does it matter?)... Please, anyone that can steer me in the right direction, please speak up. I'm lost and wiring diagrams can only get me so far. Also, I will have to change to all Mitsu sensors and such right? Thanks in advance. waiting anxiously. ](*,)

The stock 1G MAF plug has space for 8 prongs (actually has 6), the Hyundai plug has only 6 centered in the plug.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:44 am 
CSM Junkie

If you are going boosted you want the turbo harness. MAF plug will match up then. Are you planning on going auto? if so you can used a ForcedFour box and an auto shifter to avoid the auto harness, but you will loose some valuable connections to use the stock TCU. Not sure about how to connect up the 1g Turbo harness to the body harness under the dash. If it is the same as the Colt then Chris makes an adapter. If it is different, you will be tracing wires.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:03 pm 
CSM Junkie

Here. http://www.mitsubishi-forums.com/t42840 ... ersion.htm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:17 pm 

Thanks for the link. I have a feeling I'll spend some time reading on that site...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:10 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Thanks. My biggest problem so far is finding suspension parts that I can adapt to it. Knowing what parts from what cars will fit, things like coil overs and axles. Any suggestions in that dept would be greatly appreciated. I'm also wondering if anyone can give me an estimate of the power this setup will produce and what I should expect to be the weak link. I'll keep putting up pictures as we progress with the build, but I'm always looking for suggestions or constructive criticism.

Everything from a DSM (eclipse/talon/laser) on the Hyundai elantras and reason why I know I swap a lot of parts from 1g donors I had. I had 1g GST lower springs and struts on my 95 elantra and axle from one. So trust me, use DSM parts, they fit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:36 am 

So, I can change the knuckle, spindle, ball joints, wheel bearings, axles/seals, and struts off of a 1G Eclipse? I would love to get away from having to press my hubs apart everytime I want to turn the rotors... The Eclipse (I believe) :-k has sealed wheel bearings and top hat style rotors. My Hyundai has tapered wheel bearings and centerless rotors. They actually bolt to the hub, leaving me basically no options for wheels.

Ahhh, the things that no one thinks of when you start working outside of the box...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:56 am 
CSM Junkie

You want Expo/Summit Wagon front knuckles. You will get bump-steer with the DSM parts unless you have some machine work done on the tie rod end mounts so they can safely be flipped. The expo/summit knuckles are a direct swap out. You just need camber plates or you have to grind out some of the top holes on the struts so the camber can be set as it will be positive. I went the upper strut mount bolt hole mod. worked real well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:23 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
You want Expo/Summit Wagon front knuckles. You will get bump-steer with the DSM parts unless you have some machine work done on the tie rod end mounts so they can safely be flipped. The expo/summit knuckles are a direct swap out. You just need camber plates or you have to grind out some of the top holes on the struts so the camber can be set as it will be positive. I went the upper strut mount bolt hole mod. worked real well.
Yes, I did have my knuckles drilled out with a taper but other than that I was fine. Had dsm knuckles on my hyundai elantra and excel.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:36 am 

today I did the first of 2 mods to the 60mm TB I got off a Sonata. I had to connect the vacuum passage from in front of the throttle plate to the "E" port on top of the TB. It was actually quite a bit easier than I thought it would be. Tomorrow I will finish up the other mod and post some pictures.

^Like my spacers? i used a hollow brass tube to guide the 6" long .0625" diameter drill bit^

Last edited by Gearhead1_6Hyundai on Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:54 pm 

So I found after having a sonic check done on the block, that at .020" o/s size, I have a wall thickness in one cylinder of .060" ](*,)
I'm now thinking that I will sleeve the block back to standard to fix a lot of the casting shift. I looked around on the forums and manufacturers websites, and it seems custom or stock are my only options. With the Crower valvetrain and High volume lifters, it should rev pretty well. What I'm wondering is what C/R I should be looking for... The sleeves I plan to use will give me a .125" wall thickness so I'm sure it will hold a quite bit of boost, or a Nitrous system down the road. High compression for the N/A or lower in anticipation of boost? That is the question... Or is there some sort of middle ground where I satisfy both needs? I don't see it ever getting more than about 15# if I do it. I just don't have the knowledge or the time to learn it... Advise, Point me in the direction of legitimate info, I'd appreciate any insight I can get.

^Crower Springs and Titanium retainers, Ferrea valve locks^

^3rd Gen High volume lifters^

^.040" o/s Intake; .020" o/s Exhaust^