4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:39 pm 

I've been a 4G63 fan for quite some time now. I had a GVR4 that ran low 12's 10 years ago but sold it to build a Nova. I was recently looking for a new daily driver and came across this car on craigslist (it was also posted F/S on here). The car had some questionable modifications at the time of purchase but nothing that wasn't easily correctable.

I have 3 tanks through the car now, first tank was 30.5 mpg, 2nd tank was nearly 32 mpg and the last tank was back down to 30 due to some traffic issues.

Here is a basic list of what it has:

4G63 swap
8.5:1 pistons
F5M33 tranny (with LSD) The gearing is still terrible with the short tires (195/50/15) Shift lever wasn't properly modified so I took care of that and shortened the throws by 20% in the process.
Clutchmasters clutch
16G (not sure if it is a small or big) It makes boost waaaay too fast for a FWD so I am thinking it has the 05h wheel
660 injectors
300 lph pump
SAFCII
2G intake pipe
EVO MAS with K&N cone filter (had a 2G maf and a POS HKS mushroom filter when I bought it)
2.5" intercooler piping (I just rerouted the cold side piping)
Bar & Plate FMIC
Greddy BOV (rerouted)
Blitz boost controller
Greddy boost gauge (ordered a Autometer peak/hold with warning)
Autometer wideband is also on the way with peak/hold and warning (reads all the way down to 6:1 for the possibility of E85 later)
272 cams
Ported head
MSD wires
7ES plugs (need to gap them I'm sure)
2.5" downpipe - 3" catback
What looks to be an ebay tubular exhaust manifold
'90 oil filter housing with external cooler
OZ racing 15x6 wheels
mismatched 195/50/15 tires (shopping for wheels/tires now) I am going to flare the fenders and try to stuff a 235 in there
GR2 struts
Not sure what springs are on it. They are tagged with a part# I just need to write it down and do some searching.

You should note the absence of a fuel pressure regulator. The car is pig rich right now so I am actually hopeful I can get up to 35 mpg once it is properly tuned.

I spent the last few days reworking the cold side intercooler pipes. I was able to reuse some of the existing pipes so this didn't cost anything but my time. Actually, I did cut up the stock 2G throttle body adapter and welded on a 2.5" inlet from one of the unused pipes. I didn't take any pics of how it was before but I eliminated 4 bends and made enough room in the engine compartment to actually mount the air filter where it belongs. Previous owner also had the BOV on the hot side pipe which was corrected.

It needs engine mounts something fierce. I have a friend that works at Energy Suspension so that will be addressed shortly.

I am also on the hunt for a Colt grille and rear taillight insert. I found a grill on ebay last night and it happens to be red but it is chipped and IMO too expensive ($40).

The battery is ghetto mounted in the hatch. That will be addressed shortly. Honestly, that was the main reason why I rearranged the intercooler pipes because I was hoping I could fit the existing battery in that space.....NOT SO MUCH. I need to find a tiny battery like an Odyssey, Braille or equivalent to fit it under the hood.

There is an issue with the driver's side window motor and also seat belt tract. These issues were a little lower on the priority list.

Pile of aluminum pipes being eliminated one by one

Used some 1" wide aluminum bar to make a MAF bracket

The hot side pipe still bugs the hell out of me. What a terrible way to route that pipe. The thing had been dragging the ground and was in terrible shape. One of the clamps literally broke from being ground down so far. I replaced the clamps and the pipe with a steel piece. I'll eventually reroute the piping around the driver's side of the radiator but that will have to be done at the same time as a compressor housing upgrade that has an outlet pointing that direction.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:13 pm 

We got a few inches of snow here in SoCal this past weekend.

So I had to work late last night. I am calling it work but meh, not so much. We were installing some new 3 way adjustable coil-overs with bypass from Ridetech on our shop Camaro. One of the shops down the street also has a '68 Camaro and they came rolling up around 7:30. Of course the V8 egos starting flying so once we were finished working on the car we headed outside for a little fun. :sneaky: We just picked up a new HD video camera so what a perfect opportunity to try it out.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdWDHxRl-Jo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:24 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Good to see a car getting some TLC and looking clean too!

That video sure sounded good also!

You'll have lots of fun with that car.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:24 pm 

Curiosity got the better of me so I borrowed the Longacre scales from work. My garage floor is not perfectly level so it was reading a little heavy on the driver's side.

Without me in it

With me in it

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:28 pm 
Some call me a god

It should read heavy on the driver's side even on a level floor. The engine is biased to that side and weighs a lot more than the transmission. Your rear-end bias is a bit whack though... 40lb difference empty, 100lb with you in it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:56 pm 

Quote:
It should read heavy on the driver's side even on a level floor. The engine is biased to that side and weighs a lot more than the transmission. Your rear-end bias is a bit whack though... 40lb difference empty, 100lb with you in it.
I would say it was off by 2 degrees, just eyeballing the roof line from the back. Whether all of that was the floor or just the suspension not sitting level I am not sure. Either way I was just after the total weight for now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:26 pm 

Got a chance to kill a couple cones this weekend. The American Street Car Series | guys were in town and our shop Camaro and a customer's '32 Ford were already racing. We had a 3rd entry that had some tranny issues so I went ahead and used his registration for my car. I was too busy Saturday to actually make a few runs but Sunday wasn't as hectic so I made 3 runs on the Speed/Stop squared and 3 runs on the autocross. I wasn't expecting to set the world on fire (which I didn't) but I got my feet wet and know where to proceed from here. Had a ton of fun.

Speed/Stop squared is basically a short drag race followed by a slalom and a stop box. The fastest car of the weekend ran a 20.9, our shop Camaro (pictured below) was 2nd with a 21.122. Most cars were running 22-23's. So I am off pace by a few seconds but considering the level of competition I have no worries. Final results of all vehicles haven't been posted yet so I don't know where I ended up overall.

Video is uploading now

Our shop cars are heavily guarded by management so I have only ever autocrossed once before and that was in the '32 Ford I mentioned above. That car was a handful being 48/52 % weight distribution 2800lbs (me in it) total and 450HP. The Colt was even more out of control though. It was a wild stallion that just didn't want to be corralled. The tires are basically bald so I wasn't expecting much but this was just crazy. The first lap I was playing it safe maybe driving 8/10ths and spun at 50 mph trail braking into a left hander. *note to self* need less rear brake bias. Long story short, At least I wasn't in last place. I ended up in 60th place out of 65 cars.

Here is my car sitting behind our shop car

Getting ready to run the autocross.

No videos but here is a sequence shot

randoms

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:50 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Nice pics thanks for share i really enjoyed and both cars looks awesome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:14 pm 

I finally got around to uploading the video from the Speed/Stop squared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 4NSWosJae8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 am 

I killed the alternator at the race above trying to charge a bunch of crap I shouldn't have been trying to charge. The alternator wouldn't come out without lifting the radiator so once the radiator was out I figured I would yank the turbo and port the hot side. Once I got the turbo off I realized it wasn't worth putting back on due to the oil seal leaking and cracks on the housing. I looked at throwing a 20G on it since I was always so happy with the set-up I had on the Galant. However, I found a new GTX3071R for real cheap so I pulled the trigger. I prefer as close to a stock appearing as I can muster so I will be running a 2G manifold with a FP30 turbine housing.

Oh yeah, and I also picked up a new intercooler but the end tanks are going to need a rework. The car is going to be down for a few weeks so I went ahead and yanked the ECU to have it socketed.

I started working on the intercooler end tank change this past weekend. I also picked up a 44mm wastegate, 2.5" v-band, and a 3" v-band. Still waiting for the FP turbine housing to get started on making the 02 housing.

first mock up without end tanks

Each end tank will need to be moved down

The driver's side is going to need a little extra work. The pipe still interferes with the alternator so the pipe will need a little more angle. The entrance hole is already as low as it will go so I can't just bring the pipe down farther.

I also swapped to the DSM shifter knob. Seems simple enough except the stock shaft wouldn't accept it so I had to cut the shafts off both shifters and swap. Then the shift boot sat too low so I had to install a washer on the shaft and then trim the bottom of the knob to raise it up.

My downpipe is going to need a rework now as well since it is currently 2.5". Luckily, it steps up to 3" after the flex section so I won't have to make a complete new one.

***update from tonight***

The driver's side pipe won't be as bad as I originally thought. I think that if I ran a 90 degree cast aluminum piece to mate up against that side it would save some space in the alternator area. I will try and run it with a silicone hose though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:45 pm 

Making a little progress today at lunch.

Template for the end tank pieces. I made it just slightly oversized to account for the bend radiuses and also trim to fit.

The two ends pieces plus two bottom caps.

Trimmed up and ready to be welded

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:08 am 
Some call me a god

Nice work! How much distance are going to have between the end tank pipes and the radiator.. assuming you're keeping the stock style rad.?

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:34 am 

Quote:
Nice work! How much distance are going to have between the end tank pipes and the radiator.. assuming you're keeping the stock style rad.?

I installed the silicone hoses last night while I had the intercooler mocked up. I had roughly 1/2" clearance to the radiator and 1" to the frame rail. It'll be tight getting a t-bolt clamp in there so I may just run worm clamps instead if they don't fit.

I am thinking about running a shorter alternator belt to pull the alternator up and away from the pipe on that side. I pulled the alternator up roughly an inch from where it is now and it really helped make some room right there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:52 pm 

Made a trip down to RRE last night to pick up a few things(gaskets, hoses and a Zeitronix ZT-2 less gauge).

This was waiting for me when I get home.

I also picked up a used EMS but I couldn't get it to connect last night at RRE. I am going to try it on my car at some point this weekend.

My little helper ran out of steam halfway through wiring in the wideband.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:11 pm 

awesome build!!

88 dodge colt 4g32bt - project daily driver