4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: DSMINMN's '94 coupe.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:07 pm 

Alright guys, I figured I had this posted other places, I might as well post it here.

On 7/28/12 my friend, whom was at work, sends me this Craigslist ad for a "Dodge Colt $200". I was automatically interested for the simple fact that I had been looking for a Colt, Summit or Mirage for awhile. For $200, I couldn't pass up the chance to at least go look at it. I sent a few texts to the owner, and that same day we went and looked at it.

Exactly a week later (8/4/12), we went down and got the car.

Contrary to what you might think, that v6 F-150 manual pulled that Colt on a heavy ass trailer pretty well! We unloaded the car, brought the trailer back from whom we borrowed it. Then we started tearing into the car.

That was how we left the car. I believe it was a little past 11 or midnight and my friend who had driven the truck to go get this thing was complaining about being tired. I figure tomorrow was another day.

Post subject: Re: DSMINMN's '94 coupe.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:13 pm 

The next day (8/5/12), I eventually got working on the car again. I ran into issues with the CV shafts fighting me, but in the end I won. lol It was around 10 PM or better when we were finally done.

Now you guys might be asking yourselves, why did this kid pull the engine? I'll show you why.

This thing grenaded a rod out the back of the block. lol I still don't exactly know how, but from what I've seen on a few different forums, it isn't completely unusual.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:23 pm 

I didn't like how the engine bay was so disgusting and brown and yellow so I set off to clean it up.

I used some Purple Power then some cheap WALMART Supertech engine degreaser.

It seemed to have worked pretty well. It wasn't good enough for me though, so I went at it again a few days later.

As you can tell, I focused on the driver's side the most just to try scrubber with degreaser and a brush. It cut through, but in tight areas it was a PITA and you really didn't make too much headway. This is when I decided what I was going to do about the engine bay.

I did "some" sand blasting. lol This was nothing though. A few weeks later I went at it again.

Sure, it might not have been the whole entire thing but hey, I got most of what needed to be done.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:55 pm 

That same day I started rattle can priming the front end.

At this point I just wanted the bare metal covered. I wasn't sure if my dad was going to be able to come out and paint everything. I finally got a hold of him and decided to add some more primer. I then painted the outer areas that would get covered.

The paint I used was Krylon Rust Tough gloss black. I didn't take as much time as I should have so it didn't turn out as "glossy" as I would have liked.

My dad and I looked in our paint room for a nice white color for the engine bay. By the end of the day we had the engine bay painted and cleared.

A few weekends later I went to a junkyard and bought an engine with around 123,xxx on the clock. This car originally had around 189,xxx on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:06 pm 

After stripped some of the old stuff off, I took the engine to school to work on in shop class as a project. I replaced the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, spark plug wires, oil and filter. Then I took it back to my shop, threw the clutch on and this is where the problem occurred. I got the wrong throw out bearing in the clutch kit.

I wanted to wait to get the right TOB from work because I know the guys would replace it for the correct one. One of my other friend's showed up and decided to put the engine in anyways. So I cleaned up the factory TOB and greased it. I just hoped that it keeps holding up.

Here is how I ran the engine wiring.

If you haven't noticed I relocated the battery.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:26 pm 

After all of this work I put the axles in, filled the trans with gear old and the car fired up!

http://youtu.be/b8a3ITqU4-w

The next day however, I wasn't so happy..

Yep, gear oil. Not too far from there, there was coolant too. I don't know if you guys have ever had this problem, but while taking off the heater core hoses, I bent the shit out of the core's bungs. They were a PITA to try to straighten out too. It obviously didn't work. I threw a better hose clamp on it and that fixed it (only to have the other side start leaking the other day). With the down time, I got the cars lights working.

As you can guess, the output shaft seals were shot. So while it was apart, what did I do? New output shaft seals, new wheel bearings, inner and outer seals and new brake rotors. I filled the trans. and we were good, no leaks!

Here is the most recent picture of the car. Nothing has changed, lol.

My battery relocation. And yes, the box is held down with some nice sized bolts.

As you can imagine, the underside of the hood was stained from oil. So I painted it black to give it a nice..r look. lol

There you all are; you're all caught up!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:02 pm 
Some call me a god

Engine bay looks really good, just needs more 4g63! :)

Do you have plans to swap it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:46 pm 
Cheap DD! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:12 am 

sweet gas mizer!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:02 pm 

Quote:
Engine bay looks really good, just needs more 4g63! :)

Do you have plans to swap it?
Thanks! I had actually planned to swap it over to begin with. Us DSMers are dicks when it comes to selling our old shit though. lol Everywhere I looked, people wanted $600 for a FWD 2g transmission! AWD was just more of a pain and the cost went way up! The cheapest ones I found were $200 and easily 500+ miles away.

Engines were no better either. People just want their money on stuff. Of course now I find people selling parts are halfway decent prices; go figure.

It will happen one of these days, just not in the very near future.

Quote:
Cheap DD! 8)
That it is! I believe with all the parts and the cost of the car I am still under $2,000. With it running the way it is though, I have closed the gap paying for gas. The thing runs HELLA rich!
Quote:
sweet gas mizer!
Thank you sir however, she currently has a drinking problem. lol I have a little better plan of attack on how to curb that though.