4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:51 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
So the shifter set up was a little tricky but I figured it out. I'd expect some people to do this step differently but this way worked for me, and this way I can install a short shifter in the future by keeping the main components of the DSM shifter using the Huyndai shifter bracket. I'll post a video up with further explaination.

Shifter Cable Length Comparison:
Hyundai Bracket:
DSM Bracket (sorry for the typo):

Here's the video, hope it gives you guys a better idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dangPDBni5w
You are the first person i have heard of changing shift throw. is this entirely necessary? i am doing my swap in the morning, have a complete 92 talon and fab shop at my leisure. just wondering the need for it. how far different is the throw between my 94 excel 5 speed and the talon 5 speed?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:34 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
So the shifter set up was a little tricky but I figured it out. I'd expect some people to do this step differently but this way worked for me, and this way I can install a short shifter in the future by keeping the main components of the DSM shifter using the Huyndai shifter bracket. I'll post a video up with further explaination.

Shifter Cable Length Comparison:
Hyundai Bracket:
DSM Bracket (sorry for the typo):

Here's the video, hope it gives you guys a better idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dangPDBni5w
You are the first person i have heard of changing shift throw. is this entirely necessary? i am doing my swap in the morning, have a complete 92 talon and fab shop at my leisure. just wondering the need for it. how far different is the throw between my 94 excel 5 speed and the talon 5 speed?

Honestly the easiest and fastest way of getting around the shifter issue is this, when I did my 93 hyundai excel 4 door what i did was cut off the welds on the lever of the transmission. Now keep your stock shifter just the way it is and using the mounting brackets from the 1.5 trans to the 4g63 trans. Once the shift cables are bolted up, and the shifter in neutral position + trans align where the where the cable is going to. Once everything is good, reweld the lever back on the trans and your all done! If you need pics of what I'm talking let me know, I know everything there is to know about this swap. :wink: