4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:19 pm 
Some call me a god

Debows wheels are my old ones. They seem to fit better on his sedan than they did on my hatch, my hatch seemed to have much more poke with those XXRs. Maybe different body styles have slightly different fitments?

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:12 pm 
CSM Junkie

That could be the case. I also think it might have to do with cars that have rear disks or drums, and whether or not they have front GT/base model/expo/galant hubs, or GT/elantra control arms.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:31 pm 
CSM Junkie

Well 240 nuts and 240 bolts later, I finally had the wheels apart. It was nice outside so I just decided to do them by hand and no air tools. Peaceful for the first two wheels, annoying through the last four. But I had them apart! Tearing down a set of multi piece for the first time is kinda fun.

Anywho, got them all apart and started to clean them to assess the damage. To make things easier I called an old girlfriend. She is so easy. I am in love with her.

After stripping the lips I went to town on the faces and barrels with some Simple Green. I only stripped one face with the aircraft stripper, and once I went to sandblast everything I realized I should have done them all because that face took like 1/4 of the time to get down to bare "white" metal. Today was the first 80 degree day we've had in over 6 months and my dumb butt decided it would be a good day to spend 3 hours blasting my wheels in a hot shop. I did 6 faces and 4 barrels and it would've taken me like 2 hours, but since it was so hot the blasting cabinet kept jamming and I had to wait for a bit. Ended up getting it all done shortly before they closed and brought the wheels back home. They are now ready to be sent out for powder on the faces and I get to tackle the daunting task of polishing the lips. Like I said before, they are rough and I'm going to have to spend a lot of time sanding out pits and rash. Hopefully the end result is worth it.

Here they are all cleaned up.

Tomorrow I go to pick up the hardware from the plater. They were finished today but I was still blasting the wheels when they closed up shop.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:01 am 
The happy administrator

Look a lot better already.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:28 pm 
CSM Junkie

This won't be much of a fun update because I don't have any pics, but progress is progress. I stumbled across an evo III intake manifold for a smokin' deal a week ago and bought it even though I'm not to that stage of my build yet. Also bought an AFCO Scirocco radiator today for another deal that was too good to pass up. I ran one of these on my old build and it was great, so I am excited to have one again. Again, not really necessary in this stage, but will free up some room and is a good investment for later. Lastly, I will be ordering powder for my wheels and seat brackets for the Recaro's at the end of the week. I need to button up a lot of small things and then figure out my no-start issue and get the car registered and insured. I'm hoping to be only a few weeks away from making her a DD and just enjoying driving her around all summer.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:00 pm 
CSM Junkie

I have a great tip on polishing the lips if you have acces to the tool. Back in the day my buddy threw his wheels on an old disk brake lathe at the college auto shop or maybe it was a balancer...? Cant remember now. They were held on through the center hole with a single nut like a lowrider knockoff style center nut. But anyway they spun at a safe speed on there and all he had to do was hold the varying grits of sandpaper on there and finally the mothers aluminum polish. It was amazing how it took all the work right out of it and he had them done in no time!

Keane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:50 pm 
CSM Junkie

I was considering doing something similar to that. Even though its a little sketch, I've seen some good results from mounting them to the car and running it on jackstands at low speed. I have been slacking majorly since the car isn't at my place, but I am hoping to move it within the next week so updates should be more frequent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:10 pm 
CSM Junkie

I checked in with my buddy it was an old school balancing machine....but yeah I dont know why idid t think 8f of doing it 8n the car too. I say give it a go. As long as its just idling it should be nice and slow. Nothing to sketchy about that. All I remeber was how brilliant it was to have the wheel spin against your abrasives. He had them polished up in no time with minimal effort

Keane

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:19 pm 

nice work man. looks good so far cant wait to see them done.

with a slight pull on the rear it dose not have any poke, i pulled more then i needed. I think there must be some kind difference in body's or offset on the sedans because on the hatch it did have a good amount of poke on it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:52 pm 
CSM Junkie

Looks like it is just about time for my biannual update. Car has been in storage for a couple months now. It is sitting with my other poor life decision.

Plans for each car individually are up in the air, so for the meantime I am collecting parts. The white car came to me with a bad bottom end and missing a turbo setup. I have a complete stock 6-bolt that will accept the newer built head from the white car. As for a turbo setup, I jumped on this a month or so ago.

It is a RedJack twin-scroll t3 manifold and an HX40 pro. Came with one TiAL MV-R and some bits and pieces like oil feed and crappy downpipe. I struggled with deciding to keep the turbo setup like this, or downgrade to something smaller to fit my budget better. After stumbling across a good deal on another gate and matching BOV last week I decided I'm going big next year.

Not much work will be done this winter since it is so cold here, so most updates will just be with more parts that I have collected. I am looking forward to a big push come springtime and will hopefully have the car on the road and boosting before summer.