4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:46 am 

Hi all, I've been searching the forums alot lately and decided it was time to start my Build Thread. I've got the engine out, but havn't got the pics of that yet. I used to drive this car for pizza delivery/daily driver until it spun a rod. This was the second engine i put in the car, so I decided it was time to swap my Talon's 4g63t into it. I completely re-built the talon engine before i put it in the talon and now i've decided its time to put it into my summit. This build will be going on a while, since I only have 1 day a week to work on it due to work/homelife. Here are pics of the Summit. The front bumper has been modified with a Hyundai excel's/Summit front bumper. (bought the car like this off a Friend) I only payed 300 bux for it and it came with a spare engine, which is the one im taking out now for this build.

246k miles on it

Engine ready to come out

A friend painted the valve cover to look true west-virginia style rofl

was wrecked in the back a month or two before i took it off the road....bumper stickers rofl (remember i delivered pizzas in it)

Driver side back window stickers

And lastly the passenger side axle which i still havn't gotten out...suckers rusted in there...any advice?

Well, there they are. If you look close enough you might be able to see the hood is curved by the back. This is where the hood pins weren't put in and i was doing 55mhpish and it smacked the windshield, scaring the crap out of me....new windshield since then. I only used the hood pins because the car already had them installed when i got it, and the latch is pushed back a little and the hood wont latch.

so that's what i have going on so far....any suggestions as to how to get that axle out? anyone with a link to buy an axle pusher? or any ideas as far as what kinda spray may work? WD-40 is a no-go lol.

When i get back to the car i'll take pics of the donor car to put up, I have a few already which i may go ahead and put up tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:52 am 

I would heat it up with a propane torch and screw the axle nut back on and hit it with a hammer. Be careful not to mess the threads up though. If it won't come out just unbolt the knuckle and grab another one from the junkyard.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:27 pm 

hmm, I thought if i heated it that the bearings would cook too/damage the axle maybe...I guess i'll see if i can try it though....any idea how much you can get a knuckle for mirageman? yards here charge an arm and a leg, so i will compare prices.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:07 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
hmm, I thought if i heated it that the bearings would cook too/damage the axle maybe...I guess i'll see if i can try it though....any idea how much you can get a knuckle for mirageman? yards here charge an arm and a leg, so i will compare prices.

Try Route 1 in Hyattsville. I forget the name of the salvage yard, but they have tons of 4th gens there.

89 2.0 Turbo Colt
13 Ducati 1199 Panigale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:08 pm 

If you damage the wheel bearings they are pretty cheap to replace on a 4g, I bought some on ebay for like $10 each a while back. I can get a knuckle/hub for around $35 + shipping.