4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:09 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Quote:
Well the parts keep rolling in. Just got a package that contained all of the Evo rear suspension arms. Now I just need to put it all together.
Would the rear floor pan and bracing from a 94 Summit sedan work in that regard? They are indeed the same car, just less braced correct?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:23 pm 
Because Race Car

I've never done anything with the 94 sedans but I think we are talking about different generations of Evos. Everything on my car is from an Evo 7-9.

I would be very surprised if the 94 sedans had the same pick up points but I'd also be super stoked because that would save me some time of mocking up mounts using measurements from the chassis service manual. If you have a picture that would help but it needs to look like this:

(Excuse the red outlines, I borrowed this pic from someone's wtb thread on EvoM)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:35 am 

I'm betting it would easier to fabricate something like that from scratch than it would be to fit it into a 3g hatch.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:06 pm 
The Silent Administrator

This guy does the 4G swapped to AWD EVO drivetrain. http://www.pixcl.com/ but the site keeps losing the links.

I have a jzip file uploaded here, that will have all the pages archived and easy to view in a browser. 8)

http://www.mediafire.com/?84a8z5g8d1dwb1m

It may help in some ways, but you will still have all the metal sitting in front of you waiting for you to cut and paste. Ideas are there, but you probably know what you want to do.

Did not realise you were using an EVO 7 drivetrain or floor pan idea. I can see where that might differ in some ways from the EVO 3 stuff ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:31 pm 
Because Race Car

The Evo 3 and 7-9 rear suspension are very different. The 3 uses trailing arms, the Evo uses a multi-link. It will all make sense when I get a picture up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:32 am 
Because Race Car

So I putzed around in the garage today and mock assembled the new rear end and worked on the front end a bit too. I made my templates for the new strut tower tops to fit the JIC Evo camber plates and then got antsy to see what the front would look like all put together... it's evil looking :twisted:

Here is the rear end all put together

One side so you can see all 4 links

Almost home :)

Oh how I needed this motivation

Looks like I'll need some flares after all

I'll also have to trim the fenders and the front bumper... 17's are big :)

Also note that there are no rotors behind that wheel right now so I expect the wheels to extend another 5/16" - 3/8" or so when I get the rotors on it.

Tomorrow I am planning on finishing cutting out the lower core support so I can replace it with rallyguy's old fab'd lower support that you can see in the 4th picture. Then I can bolt the front subframe to it and get ready to drop in the engine/trans/x-case. The goal is to get it sitting on all 4 wheels with the engine in by Christmas. I can guarantee the front suspension and engine will be done by then but the rear looks like it will need a lot more modification than I had originally thought :-?

Last edited by CrunchyMilk on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:43 am 
Because Race Car

Also, if you missed it in the General Discussion section, I ordered my JDM bumper the other day so that should be here in a week or two. Pics when it comes in :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:46 am 
Because Race Car

I got the original Colt motor mounts off, finished removing the stock core support, and got the new lower radiator support and lower subframe bolted in. I am in the middle of cutting the Evo driver and passenger side motor mounts cut off of the chunks of Evo frame I have sitting here. After they are both free I'll have the engine in.

Driver engine mount off. I later ground off the remnants from the spot weld cutter and sprayed the area with the first rattle can I grabbed off the shelf to prevent any rust (Can be seen in later pictures). It has me thinking that a flat black engine bay with a white car may be the way to go on this one.

Core support out and old subframe in. The subframe was originally made to hold a DSM 4G63 so I will be creating new front and rear mounts. They will be solid mounts.

Frame rails cleaned up

And with the lower support in and the original front mount chopped off of the subframe

Also I got my JDM bumper from Malaysia. I've never gotten anything from overseas so quickly... 8 days from the day I paid for it and 4 from the day it shipped.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:29 pm 

As a fellow spot weld driller I can appreciate the work you've done so far :wink: . Bumper looks great too. It's not a muscle car man, spray that bay white with the car.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:39 pm 
CSM Junkie

And... any updates?

I heard they ride mooses to work instead of driving cars. (About Canadians.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:49 pm 
Because Race Car

Well since you ask... I'm getting ready to put the rear end in. Nothing major so far but I've at least touched it in the last 2 months :lol:

From this:

To this:

The frame rails are completely clean too and ready for me to fab up the mounting brackets.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:12 pm 
Because Race Car

Wow, so I have been super delinquent on updating this thread. I've blown way past my December goal. In fact - the stupid thing is still up on stands. I got sidetracked organizing and updating the garage... a project that will hopefully be done or 95% done this weekend.

I've done a little work on the Colt. I've made my templates for the rear spherical mounts on the front lower control arms. I've also got the engine mount templates done. I need to decide which of 3 ways I've considered modifying the strut towers and then I can cut all of my templates and get everything welded in. That way I'll at least have the major components of the front end together.

Some quick notes on the engine fitment:
-It is by no means even close to a bolt-in affair.
-It is a TIGHT fit. Only ~1/2" clearance between the accessory belts/pulleys and the passenger frame rails and I have to notch the driver side rail for the transmission.
-It looks BADASS and makes my pants tight.

I started mocking up the rear subframe and it looks like the rear is going to be a LOT more work than I originally anticipated. Nothing difficult... just time consuming and it is going to require me to re-fab the rear X brace of my cage because the strut towers have to move inboard ~2" on each side to keep the same Evo geometry.

Stay tuned... I promise I won't disappear for 6 months again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:26 pm 
Because Race Car

I will still be moving slowly so don't expect daily progress. I am taking my time and planning everything out so that I only do it once and have no regrets about how the car was put together and don't back myself into corners that force non-ideal solutions.

BTW I am ditching the lower radiator support and subframe that came with the car. They are both very heavy and over built since this was originally a rally car. I will fab my own as soon as the driver/passenger engine mounts are secured. I will incorporate the front and rear engine mounts into the new subframe that will also tie the lower control arms together.

Teaser pics:

There is a lot of tire under this thing

Not much space here

Or here

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:58 am 

Wow I'm really liking this man. Have you done anything to the car. Cage looks good. Engine wow would not thought of doing that.

That's so cool man. Are you awding it.

I have done the same thing but I changed the whole floor from a Evo 3.

Need a update

http://www.gsrcyborgclub.com/viewtopic. ... 952#p33952

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:19 am 

I sent Anson a text a month or so ago and he's been swamped with work. Just like the rest of us, life's priorities always seem to cut into the hobby/project time.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next