4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:22 am 
Because Race Car

Quote:
Quote:
The fab won't be too bad Tony. The worst is going to be the rear suspension but even that isn't too much more involved than a normal AWD swap. The good news is that I am in no rush!
How do you plan to use the EVO engine and trans in that chassis?
Custom mounts. Will be pretty simple.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:48 am 
Because Race Car

To follow that last statement... Remember that this will never be a street car. It will strictly be a track car so I am not trying to fit air conditioning and other extras in there. I'm also not using a stock brake master. I'm using a two-pedal/3 master pedal box for brakes and clutch that locates those components on the driver side where there is plenty of clearance.

As you know Tony when doing the traditional 4G63 swap you have to mod the crossmember to place the front and rear mounts in the correct places and modify the trans mount as well. The only difference in my setup is that I have to mod 4 mounts instead of 3.

Last edited by CrunchyMilk on Tue May 24, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:48 pm 

I'm eager to see some progress on this thing. With a welder and enough skill anything is possible.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:52 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
To follow that last statement... Remember that this will never be a street car. It will strictly be a track car so I am not trying to fit air conditioning and other extras in there. I'm also not using a stock brake master. I'm using a two-pedal 3 master pedal for brakes and clutch that locates those components on the driver side where there is plenty of clearance.

As you know Tony when doing the traditional 4G63 swap you have to mod the crossmember to place the front and rear mounts in the correct places and modify the trans mount as well. The only difference in my setup is that I have to mod 4 mounts instead of 3.
How about things like the shifter cables and clutch hydraulics?

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:57 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
With a welder and enough BEER anything is possible.
Fixed.

Hopefully the Evo shift cables are crazy long which necissitates the shifter base being placed really far back on the driveshaft tunnel and thus a modified driver's seat placement that gives a better weight bias.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:03 pm 
Because Race Car

Quote:
Quote:
To follow that last statement... Remember that this will never be a street car. It will strictly be a track car so I am not trying to fit air conditioning and other extras in there. I'm also not using a stock brake master. I'm using a two-pedal 3 master pedal for brakes and clutch that locates those components on the driver side where there is plenty of clearance.

How about things like the shifter cables and clutch hydraulics?
I have the full Evo shifter assembly with cables, clutch hydraulics will be handled by the two-pedal assembly I mentioned above. Two pedals, three masters. One master each for front and rear brakes, one for the clutch. As for the lines... hard lines are easy to make. All you need is the tubing, a bender, and a flare tool.
Quote:
Quote:
With a welder and enough BEER anything is possible.
Fixed.

Hopefully the Evo shift cables are crazy long which necissitates the shifter base being placed really far back on the driveshaft tunnel and thus a modified driver's seat placement that gives a better weight bias.
I haven't laid them into the car yet but although being further back would be better for weight, the distance from the pedals would increase and with it my ability to properly apply force and control.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:24 pm 
Some call me a god

If they are custom-mountable pedals, such as some of the offerings from Wilwood, then you could move the mounting location further back and extend the steering column. Floor-mounted pedals would make moving the seating location even easier.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:44 pm 
Because Race Car

Quote:
If they are custom-mountable pedals, such as some of the offerings from Wilwood, then you could move the mounting location further back and extend the steering column. Floor-mounted pedals would make moving the seating location even easier.
They are a Tilton set, basically identical to Wilwood's offerings. They are firewall mount though, not a floor mount.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:54 pm 
Some call me a god

Modify the firewall. Sheet metal is easy to manipulate.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:57 pm 
Because Race Car

That's what I'm doing, just modding the firewall. I'll be welding on a .125" doubling plate inside and out with the new mounting pattern.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:06 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

We wants PICS!!! :partyman:

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:18 am 
Some call me a god

Didn't someone else start talking about doing this swap a few years back and Tony called them stupid until they ran away?

Good luck on your project. I'll be watching for updates!

84 GMC K3500
85 Dodge D50 Diesel Swap
90 Mighty Max V6
89 Mirage Turbo
94 Mighty Max
99 Montero

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:23 pm 
Because Race Car

Quote:
Didn't someone else start talking about doing this swap a few years back and Tony called them stupid until they ran away?

Good luck on your project. I'll be watching for updates!
I don't know but I've already got a good head start... and I don't know how to quit.

As for pictures, I picked up my wheels today. I got a great deal on some Evo IX Enkei's. If you saw my bumper thread you may remember me saying that I was going to run 9" wide wheels. Well over the past week I've been doing some careful measuring and analysis and I believe that I will be faster with a smaller tire section width. Instead of stretching a tire over a larger rim I decided to step down in wheel width. These have 245/45/17 Nitto's on them right now but I'm stepping down to a 245/40/17 to minimize sidewall flex.

*There are 4 there, the last is holding the other 3 up*

I'm waiting for my Evo uprights and lower control arms to get here and then I'll get them on. I did mock these wheels up next to the stock 14's and they are enormous, I should have taken pictures but I'll just get a before and after when I mount them. They already stick out a couple of inches from the fenders and the Evo track is 3" wider than a Colt so the flares will have to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.5".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:36 am 
Because Race Car

I'll try to keep things updated over the next couple of months but at this time I'm just stockpiling parts. I'm moving into a new shop sometime in August so I need to keep it a roller until then.

My front Evo IX uprights showed up today. I'll get some pics of the refurb when I get the time. The rear uprights should be in sometime next week.

Next I need front lower control arms and a couple of engine mounts that didn't come with the rest of the drivetrain. I'll get the whole front end mocked up before I tackle the rear.

I'll be swapping the entire Evo rear subframe/suspension into the Colt. In the end the car should have the same track as an Evo but the wheelbase will be ~6" shorter. A little extra toe up front should keep it stable down the straights but I'm going to have to watch that I don't run enough to induce an uncorrectable amount of understeer. There will end up being a considerable amount of track time to tune everything.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:01 pm 

lv those wheels :supz:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next