4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:17 pm 

Hello how's everyone doing. I'm new to the forum and i picked up my first csm today! Its a 1993 Eagle Summit awd. I've been out of the car scene for quite a few year's. i have always been a fan of dsm's, but a few months ago i met csm shaun and he introduced me into the world of csm's and i fell in love instantly. i can't wait to get the build underway. i only had time to get a few pics today ill get more tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:20 pm 
CSM Dik

Sick,that looks clean!! Welcome to the boards,can't wait to see more pics of your progress!! Ohio FTW :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:12 pm 

does anyone know what i need to swap the rear drums to disc brakes? Here are some more pics. The interior need some loving.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:25 pm 
CSM Junkie

Go look again i bet it has disc brakes on the rear. Mine is also a 93 but its a colt awd should be the same and it has discs all round abs too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:19 am 
Some call me a god

I stuck my head under the back end to see for myself and sure enough, it has drum brakes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:08 am 

So i guess all i have to do is find one in a junkyard with rear disc and use those? what all do i need?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:49 am 

Welcome to aboard Chris man. I am sure I will be around to experience most of this build. Remember I am not afraid to bust knuckles and get dirty. Even though I am a girl.

Best of luck to you and the car. I can't wait to see it run in the 13's.

-Dree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:29 pm 

4 wheel discs was an option for ABS equipped wagons. I have seen one in the yard with rear discs and I pulled those and sold them to Rono on here. The rear end is very close to a 2g dsm though so those may work. It uses the rotors with the large hats on them that has drums inside for the parking brake setup. You need the backing plates with brake shoes & hardware, calipers/pads, rotors and brake lines. Caps shows a different # for the ebrake cables but I'm not sure why since both use the drum setup.

You will have to remove the rear hub with a slide hammer to bolt the backing plate on and remove the drum backing plate. Not sure why they designed it this way. If that wagon was a manual I would be extremely jealous, since its black. My last two awd wagons were blue/manual tranny cars.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:33 pm 
Some call me a god

The old man we got this wagon from actually had four of them. Two three doors and two four doors. That black one is AWD, one of the four doors is red and AWD and the other two were white and blue. All automatic. I may be returning to purchase the two four doors...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:52 pm 

thanks Dree. thanks for the information 89mirageman. i plan on manual swapping it. not sure if i want to use a 2.4t or 2.0t. i might be getting a 4g63t,turbo, and a awd tranny off a guy i know. if so i want to rebuild the motor before i use it. what all do i need to manual swap it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:39 pm 

Shifter and cables, clutch pedal and brake pedal assembly. Note the brake pedal has the long bar that goes all the way from the passengers side to the drivers side just like our 3g csm's. This means the heat/ac boxes need to come out along with the dash of course. Master and slave cylinders are needed and of course the tranny. The rear end gear ratios are different from the auto to manual so you'll have to address that as well.

I did a manual swap on a 94 colt vista but it was fwd.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:14 pm 

so does this mean the heat and ac are gone for good or can i put them back in?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:34 pm 

so does this mean the heat and ac are gone for good or can i put them back in? also on the rear end can i use a dsm's or can i only use a vista etc. rear end? sorry for being so stupid lol here are some pics of my progress on cleaning it up.

i found these wires all wrapped together under the driver seat they ended up being the worst cd player wiring job i ever seen.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:56 pm 

I was just saying that you have to remove the heat and ac boxes because the brake pedal bar runs behind them. You just have to pull them out to get to the bar. I think you can use the gears from a 1g rear end but the subframe itself is completely different. You can peek under there and see. Now I'm not saying that you can't fabricate the dsm rear to fit, I'm sure it could be done with enough know how.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:30 am 
Some call me a god

The Summit rear subframe is different as is the differential itself. The ring and pinion from a DSM/GVR4 may be usable but the design is different. Where the DSM/GVR4 rear CV shaft has a splined portion that goes into the differential the Summit has a flange that bolts the CV to a stub shaft that is held in the differential.