4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14 15 Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:55 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Saw this thing in person last night and I have to say that the pictures don't do it justice. This thing is badass.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:01 pm 
Some call me a god

Thanks Steven. Glad you could come over. Was nice meeting a fellow member. Hopefully it runs even better than it looks when things come together.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:14 am 

very front heavy and very fugly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:00 pm 
Because Race Car

Hmmmm... So you say your grill is too far away from the firewall, you can't use the vehicle's stock fenders and the only way you could think to fix it was to make a hinge out of chain link fencepost and safety fence stakes. OK... I like a good challenge

Let's start out by making a list of the main components that reside between the firewall and the grill of a vehicle. We'll address the placement of each afterwards.

-Engine and attached accessories (manifolds, turbo, timing components, etc.)
-Transmission
-Radiator
-Various fluid coolers if applicable

Now let's look at your particular application. It appears that you have a gap close to 36" +/- between the grill and firewall. I see that you chose to keep the intake on the stock side of the motor which increases the minimum possible distance between the cab and engine. I still don't see why you couldn't have moved the engine 6" closer to the firewall. You were cutting up the cab anyway. Make a tunnel for the trans and shove that sucker a little further back. If the shifter placement was an issue it could have been modified or an adapter created.

Good, now that we've made some room it's time to reorganize things and we already have only a 30" gap!

Let's start by moving the oil cooler to a more suitable location such as on the font frame rail facing forward where it will receive ample flow. This will keep the lines inside of the frame rails too! Let's then fabricate some brackets to mount the radiator (which I don't see pictured but will assume it exists somewhere or will soon be made out of a spare refrigerant coil pulled from a non running refrigerator and a glass Coke bottle) directly behind the oil cooler.

Now about that 30" gap...

I've got it :rock: ! Ditch the 4" long pieces of safety fence stake holding your "hinge" and the 8" long pieces of safety fence stake holding the grill and mount the grill to the front of the frame with proper hinges. BOOM!!!!! Now you have a reasonable gap between the grill and firewall. That's 12" more removed :supz:

Now you can use your stock fenders and you have a slightly shinier turd! I did it!

Quote:
FWIW I absolutely agree.

In all seriousness this looks terrible; "Rat Rod" or not. A 36" gap between the cab and the grill looks ridiculous. If you mocked up the grill and realized that it wasn't going to work you should have stopped what you were doing, made a real plan, and fixed it properly. Making a hinge out of fence post is ridiculous and really a poor excuse for just being lazy in my opinion.

Throughout this project I have thought to myself that there really was never a plan to begin with. The approach was "Hey I did something... and this is what it looks like now... and because of what I just did, something now has to be done this way... which isn't the best way nor does it look good but hey... I'm doing stuff!" This is usually followed by "It's my project and I don't care what anyone else thinks."

That's a good attitude to have too because it looks like poo and I am still convinced that it is unsafe.

Sarcasm aside... you asked what we thought.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:25 pm 
Because Race Car

To think it could have ended up like this :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:38 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
To think it could have ended up like this :cry:

I like this one^^^^ Make it like this! :prayer:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:54 am 

I didnt want to be the one to say anything like that but yea. This is a non planed build... But all the time someone gave any input, the reply always was its just a cruiser so none of the things below matter.
Quote:
Hmmmm... So you say your grill is too far away from the firewall, you can't use the vehicle's stock fenders and the only way you could think to fix it was to make a hinge out of chain link fencepost and safety fence stakes. OK... I like a good challenge

Let's start out by making a list of the main components that reside between the firewall and the grill of a vehicle. We'll address the placement of each afterwards.

-Engine and attached accessories (manifolds, turbo, timing components, etc.)
-Transmission
-Radiator
-Various fluid coolers if applicable

Now let's look at your particular application. It appears that you have a gap close to 36" +/- between the grill and firewall. I see that you chose to keep the intake on the stock side of the motor which increases the minimum possible distance between the cab and engine. I still don't see why you couldn't have moved the engine 6" closer to the firewall. You were cutting up the cab anyway. Make a tunnel for the trans and shove that sucker a little further back. If the shifter placement was an issue it could have been modified or an adapter created.

Good, now that we've made some room it's time to reorganize things and we already have only a 30" gap!

Let's start by moving the oil cooler to a more suitable location such as on the font frame rail facing forward where it will receive ample flow. This will keep the lines inside of the frame rails too! Let's then fabricate some brackets to mount the radiator (which I don't see pictured but will assume it exists somewhere or will soon be made out of a spare refrigerant coil pulled from a non running refrigerator and a glass Coke bottle) directly behind the oil cooler.

Now about that 30" gap...

I've got it :rock: ! Ditch the 4" long pieces of safety fence stake holding your "hinge" and the 8" long pieces of safety fence stake holding the grill and mount the grill to the front of the frame with proper hinges. BOOM!!!!! Now you have a reasonable gap between the grill and firewall. That's 12" more removed :supz:

Now you can use your stock fenders and you have a slightly shinier turd! I did it!

Quote:
FWIW I absolutely agree.

In all seriousness this looks terrible; "Rat Rod" or not. A 36" gap between the cab and the grill looks ridiculous. If you mocked up the grill and realized that it wasn't going to work you should have stopped what you were doing, made a real plan, and fixed it properly. Making a hinge out of fence post is ridiculous and really a poor excuse for just being lazy in my opinion.

Throughout this project I have thought to myself that there really was never a plan to begin with. The approach was "Hey I did something... and this is what it looks like now... and because of what I just did, something now has to be done this way... which isn't the best way nor does it look good but hey... I'm doing stuff!" This is usually followed by "It's my project and I don't care what anyone else thinks."

That's a good attitude to have too because it looks like poo and I am still convinced that it is unsafe.

Sarcasm aside... you asked what we thought.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:36 am 
Some call me a god

Well it is a good thing you never have to see it or ride in it. No plan? Yea, no. Not a single thing has come out other than I anticipated.

But because you are so smart and so observant, you must have missed why I mounted the front end where I did. See, I play in man land and make big boy power. So in order to feed the beast the fuel it needs for what I have in store, a big and bulky mechanical fuel pump and a surge tank are in store. But wait, where am I to put that. Certainly not in the back of the truck, the cab or the "engine bay". So in order to make it work correctly and well, it has to be right near where the fuel rails are and the cam gear the fuel pump is going to bolt to.

The front end is only 4" further forward that it was stock. I am glad you have such good judgment that you can use your eye measure to get the distance correct.

As far as the fence post. Nothing lazy about that. It was free and had a fair amount of time with the cut off wheel and grinder to get it to work. Plus it is different. But the main thing is that it was free. Unless you plan on coming here and helping or donating money to the project, it will proceed as I see fit.

If you do not like the truck, stop tuning in. If you do not like me, ignore my screen name. Problems solved. No one ever said it was just a cruiser. This thing will have one purpose when it comes out. Pedal to the floor. Why else would it have the large turbo and 10 injector setup on it.

The reason for the piping staying the way it is, is because I invested a lot of time making the 10 injector hotpipe setup in the colt work. I was not about to redo any of that. Nor was I going to hang all that piping out over the front of my engine in the way of the mechanical fuel system.

I wasn't going to reply, but there are some folks who may want to know the answer but don't want to speak up. Again, you don't like, don't tune in. Doesn't hurt my feelings, nor do a give a shit what anyone says anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:38 am 

Lol haters gonna hate :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:26 am 
Some call me a god

I had no intention of getting involved any further or offering any more help/opinions, and still don't, but I couldn't help making this observation.

Quote:
Well it is a good thing you never have to see it or ride in it. No plan? Yea, no. Not a single thing has come out other than I anticipated.

But because you are so smart and so observant, you must have missed why I mounted the front end where I did. See, I play in man land and make big boy power. So in order to feed the beast the fuel it needs for what I have in store, a big and bulky mechanical fuel pump and a surge tank are in store. But wait, where am I to put that. Certainly not in the back of the truck, the cab or the "engine bay". So in order to make it work correctly and well, it has to be right near where the fuel rails are and the cam gear the fuel pump is going to bolt to.

The front end is only 4" further forward that it was stock. I am glad you have such good judgment that you can use your eye measure to get the distance correct.

As far as the fence post. Nothing lazy about that. It was free and had a fair amount of time with the cut off wheel and grinder to get it to work. Plus it is different. But the main thing is that it was free. Unless you plan on coming here and helping or donating money to the project, it will proceed as I see fit.

If you do not like the truck, stop tuning in. If you do not like me, ignore my screen name. Problems solved. No one ever said it was just a cruiser. This thing will have one purpose when it comes out. Pedal to the floor. Why else would it have the large turbo and 10 injector setup on it.

The reason for the piping staying the way it is, is because I invested a lot of time making the 10 injector hotpipe setup in the colt work. I was not about to redo any of that. Nor was I going to hang all that piping out over the front of my engine in the way of the mechanical fuel system.

I wasn't going to reply, but there are some folks who may want to know the answer but don't want to speak up. Again, you don't like, don't tune in. Doesn't hurt my feelings, nor do a give a shit what anyone says anyway.
Quote:
Now I can respect that. Telling me you are biting your lip is enough to send me over the edge.

I did the lower mounts on the front axle as there just not a lot of space to try and mount something on the outside of the frame rail. The stock leafs mounted underneath the frame, over the axle and on the inside of the frame rail. The closer to the spindle, the narrower the axle gets. It was more out of necessity and no options. I want as much room as I can get for the engine and steering. And this is my sacrafice for that. This is not coming out as nice and as soft as my first reply, but I am trying. I am annoyed at the computer so I apologize if anything comes across harsh.

I guess I need you to slow it down and explain a little more how you would like to see the front axle. Specifically the lower mounts. I am just not seeing how these will be so unsafe when it is said and done. The front shocks are upright because I just needed as much room as I could get. I just could not see too many other ways(albeit prettier) to keep my struts on the outside of the frame to clear everything I needed that is actually going to make the truck drive. Given the price of a bolt and nut, I could always just weld them together if there is that much concern.

Both sets of upper mounts will be boxed, plated and gusseted. It won't be pretty, but I do feel it will get me down the road. This is not a race car in any sense. Just a cruiser. The rears were also kept upright as there is just not a lot of room to accomplish what I need to in the rear of the truck. I have to stuff a lot of things back there, but the bed only being 4' 10" I just don't have a lot of room. So the two reasons back there are for a look and for room.

As far as the "proper section" I just don't follow. Maybe you can elaborate more. and for "doubling" material, I think you may mean double plate the bolt holes on each side with another piece of metal welded on to essentially double the thickness where the top bolts in. But maybe you are asking about something to keep the bolt in place. There is a metal sleeve in all of the eyelets of the shocks top and bottom, all the way around. It is a 5/8" sleeve. I had two choices the shocks came with. Is that not enough to keep the shocks put and keep wear down? Is there something I missed in the question.

As I said above, a lot of this was for a stance. I just need this thing to go down the road safe and withstand nothing more than the bumps in the road. I do not need an fully adjustable suspension, some hot nasty ladder bar, or anything too crazy. Just enough to hold together and drive around on. While being safe. I guess I just have not envisioned how this stuff won't work and will endanger us.

I would be nieve to think the frame won't move during final welding. Our only plan at this point is to weld slowly and alternately while moving around the frame. Making small passes as I go. I am just not sure how else we could do it, and I am not interested in annealing it or heat treating it. I just want to get it done. Been without a toy for too long.

This came out a little different, but sort of what I tried to say the first time.

And you really wouldn't rather make it look like this?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:36 am 
Because Race Car

Quote:
I have had a rough few days trying to figure this out. I was dead set on using the dodge front end and fenders. Well with the way things worked out and how everything sits, the fenders were 16-18" too short.
Quote:
OK, now I am absolutely convinced that your truck has magical powers. By moving the front end 4" forward the fenders shrunk 16-18" :o

Also, I estimated the distance using the diameter of an average sized tire for a small pickup. I assumed a 205/75/R15 though I admit that may not be correct for your vehicle... it was just the most common light truck tire size. The overall diameter of that tire is ~27.1". Looks like I could put just about 1.25-1.5 of those between the firewall and the grill. Put a tape up and take a picture and tell me how far off I am :wink:
Quote:
Once, again... you asked what we all thought.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:46 am 
Some call me a god

You got me there. Street car should have been used.

That truck is sweet for sure, but mine never had a chance at that. It is rusted really bad, has literally .75" of bondo on most of the truck, the cab was crushed on the top right corner, and 65 years of rigging up made this one too far gone for that. It would take a fortune and someone with more talent than I have to make it even come close to looking like that. Shit, 70% of both my head lights were rotted out. What was left was held together by lead, bondo and rust. Not to mention that chrome piece on the grill has been missing for decades I am sure. And since everyone is so observant, they can look back and see how bad the stock frame was. It was scrap metal. Bent, cracked and nice and wavy in all directions.

If everyone hasn't noticed after all these years of the projects that I have shared look like dog shit, why does everyone expect me to change that and produce a show car? We are all business in our circle. Going fast is all that matters. It is always the same people too. Is it that hard just to not look when you see my screenname? I am very close to just not posting anymore. All these keyboard racers sure can talk the talk, but I sure never see anything worth a crap coming from their screennames.

I am cool with people hating. But when folks like Cruchy Milk pretend like they know what they are talking about and waste who knows how much of their time pretending to tell me how much they know just seems idiotic to me. Find another thread to waste your time in. If it is ugly and unsafe, leave it at that. I don't need your novel.

MOVE ON. Or produce something that is worthwhile and out do me than rub it in my face. Because near as I can tell you don't have a car even 10% done.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:26 pm 
Because Race Car

I can't deny that my project is way behind where I want it to be... I guess I've just been spending my time elsewhere.

BTW... where can I get tickets to Man Land so I can play with big horsepower toys too? Working for the Millen family all I got to play with are these stupid 1000hp Pike's Peak cars :(

Crunchy out forever lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:46 pm 
Some call me a god

I know how you feel. Everything I get to play with goes over 200mph. They cycle through so just hit refresh and you get the idea.

Moron.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:45 pm 
Some call me a god

I play with cool cars too!

And I'm not going to pull up pictures of every car/bike I ever built, but I've been building sweet rides since the late seventies, early eighties.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14 15 Next