4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: New 50 trim install
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:27 pm 
Some call me a god

can you post up more pics with descriptions of that oil cooler?

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:00 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
Ball bearing turbos need an oil restrictor. Journal bearing turbos usually don't. And as already stated, the oil filter housing has higher oil pressure than the head.

Is that Green going on a 1.6 or 2.0? BTW, if you have issues with the gasket that goes between the exhaust manifold and the turbine housing (like I did), you can just not use one (like I did). Just use copper or nickel antiseize on the bolt threads and torque them to the high end of the spec.
A journal bearing turbo will push oil past the seals if the oil pressure is too high.

Yeah his right, the oil pressure is really high on the FH, and the oil pressure on the head is 30psi idle and roughly 40 or more in full throttle. A lot of the honda guys blow through the seals because of high oil pressure which I have been telling them for years now. I don't recommend oil feed off the oil FH but it's your car, so it's up to you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:16 pm 
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ball bearing turbos need an oil restrictor. Journal bearing turbos usually don't. And as already stated, the oil filter housing has higher oil pressure than the head.

Is that Green going on a 1.6 or 2.0? BTW, if you have issues with the gasket that goes between the exhaust manifold and the turbine housing (like I did), you can just not use one (like I did). Just use copper or nickel antiseize on the bolt threads and torque them to the high end of the spec.
A journal bearing turbo will push oil past the seals if the oil pressure is too high.

Yeah his right, the oil pressure is really high on the FH, and the oil pressure on the head is 30psi idle and roughly 40 or more in full throttle. A lot of the honda guys blow through the seals because of high oil pressure which I have been telling them for years now. I don't recommend oil feed off the oil FH but it's your car, so it's up to you.
It is interesting that the 11b, 14b, and evo3 turbos all ran good fed from the head on my car; but apparently MHI designed their turbos to run on low pressure. I've researched this a lot and spoken to to FP about this and they requested oil for the green comes from the FH.
QUOTE:
"There are plenty of people who have oiled their turbo off the head and not had any problems, there are just as many if not more that have done it and had recurring turbo failure that was only vaguely described by the repair shop as "poor lubrication".
"Oil pressure in the cylinder head on a stock 4G63 engine can be less than 5psi at times, while this may be enough oil for a factory 14b, T25 or even 20g it isn't enough to feed the high volume oil passages of the modified thrust setup in your FPGreen or FPRed model turbo. The Garrett severe duty 360 thrust setups also have an increased appetite for lubrication. Think twice before feeding either of these type turbos from the head.
Remember that you aren't just trying to keep some oil on the bearing, you are trying to float one piece of metal above another piece of metal on a pressurized film of oil, and at the same time keep the whole mess cool enough not to melt. A constant high volume stream of oil does just that, a measly trickle will send you back to the turbo shop.

"One exception to this is the Ballistic Concepts Ball Bearing CHRA from Garrett. These turbochargers are totally different internally. Their operation is actually impeded by too much oil. It is fine to supply these turbos with oil from the head. In fact the oil line we offer comes from the head and features a .8mm orifice to restrict the oil flow to the turbo . These turbos require water cooling in the absence of the typical high volume of oil that would normally provide stable temperatures. "

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:53 am 
CSM Junkie

I want to find out what psi on average the journal turbo should be at? This way you could run it off the FH but with a restriction to the right amount of oil psi with out going over that limit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:09 pm 
Quote:
I want to find out what psi on average the journal turbo should be at? This way you could run it off the FH but with a restriction to the right amount of oil psi with out going over that limit.

Dunno, but I'm gonna try to get some spec's off FP , so stay tuned,lol. I am a little concerned seeing without balance shafts my oil pressure is higher than normal.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:27 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Have you ported the FOH where the relief valve is located?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:51 pm 
Quote:
Have you ported the FOH where the relief valve is located?
No , but it is possible I may go that route.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:43 am 
Some call me a god

Definitely good stuff to know and I apologize for misleading information. Having never played with a non-MHI turbo my knowledge base was skewed.