4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:53 am 

It has been a long time coming but as of the 4th I got laid off. So what better time than now to do the awd swap? I am still waiting on the tank and driveline to arrive but I got started with the front to tackle the motor mount situation.

Here is the car I will be swapping. It has been front wheel drive for 200100k miles and will soon be spinning all 4 tires.

Got it in the garage and pretty high up on 4 jack stands. Jerked the wheels and started in on the front end, getting the trans out mainly.
Got the trans out in record time.
Now the beautiful $400 exhaust.

I didnt like the side to side front motor mount Idea so I wanted to go with a crossmember. I read people asking if the Expo awd crossmember would possibly work and while it is some what similar to the jdm crossmember it is not the same and will still require some fab. So here is what I did to get it to work.

Factory Colt crossmember next to the expo crossmember. You can see the curve in it where it goes around the t case. On the expo the rear mount is on the transmission rather than motor like the jdm awd cars. You can also see that the front of the crossmember has a different mounting set up than the stock crossmember. So this will have to be changed.

Bolts right to where the jdm crossmember would and fits right in the groove in the bottom of the 1g trans, almost like it was made to be this way. haha not.

I cut off the front portion of the crossmember so that I could tack the csm front portion on to see if it will work. Also tacked on the front mount, it is in a different spot than the expo had it mounted.

Here is what I have to work with as far as room in the back and next to the t case. Got a little discouraged when I got to this point, you can see why.

Here I decided to just flip the rear motor mount over. I also took the rear mount the expo crossmember had on it cut the little bolt on flange part off and bolted it back onto the crossmember. Now all I have to do is use some tubing to reconnect the flange with the actual rubber mount.
More updates to come really soon :weedman: .

08 Ford F-350 6.4 PSD 3 mods and 600hp :)

Last edited by dsmdizzle on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:49 am 
Some call me a god

Another AWD swap that will probably get done before mine :lol: . Good luck and keep us updated!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:42 am 

well the track opens up march 20th, I would like to have it done completely by then.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:07 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Another AWD swap that will probably get done before mine :lol: . Good luck and keep us updated!

lmao...that makes two of us aaron.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:51 pm 

Got more done today. I was only motivated for like 3 hours and this is what it got me.

Completed crossmember. Got it all painted up now it will sit for a bit til I get the trans actually in the car and ready for final assembly.

I started ripping stuff off the bottom of the car and moved toward the rear. Here is a pile I came out with after an hour.

Started unbolting the rear brake lines and such. Once those were off i worked at getting the whole thing unbolted.

Got the rear axle out. No turning back now.

Pile of junk i have to get rid of now haha.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:32 pm 

Looking good man. You're giving me the much needed motivation to get out there and start cutting on mine. :P Does that crossmember have to come from an awd wagon?

Don't toss that rear axle just yet man,remember the na guys got the puny drums on their cars and would kill for the rear discs. The calipers, hubs, brackets & lines should put an extra $150 in your pocket.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:09 am 
CSM Junkie

Awesome progress! I would love to own a awd csm someday. That body is clean!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:15 am 

Sunday Update

I am still waiting on my friend to be around so I can pick up the 4 bolt rear so I dont really want to put the subframe up in the car yet. I got to work on the subframe wire wheeling surface rust and pulling the 3 bolt off. It took me hours to wire wheel this thing and its still not very clean looking so I say screw it Ill paint it up and call it good.

I got under the car to see what I was going to have to move to build these mounts. I didnt know there was so much going on right where the subframe will mount so I started pulling the brake lines, fuel lines and other misc that was in my way.
Started to cut the floor out and realized it was a no go with the tools im using. (4inch cut off wheel on grinder). Here is how far I got.

Today I am finally getting my dsm gas tank, 4 bolt rear, and driveline. Cant wait to get the subframe up in the car.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:25 pm 

I have been slowly working on the car over the past week but have got quite a bit done. Here are a couple pics of what i did.

I cut the floor all the way out and cleaned up the frame rails.

I got my gas tank and 4 bolt rear, still no driveline yet. I pulled the walbro fuel pump out of the stock tank and put it in the dsm tank so that will be ready when I am ready to mount it.

I painted the rear subframe using Krylon paint.

I also spent yesterday putting the brakes on the subframe and cutting more from under the car where the subframe will mount. I built the rear bar already but need to get a better drill bit set to drill through for the mounts. I also pulled the oil pan last night because of a few leaks I am sick of. I am going to run and get some thinner steel to build the front mounts out of so the subframe will finally be in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:50 am 

I got quite a bit more done on the car today. I finally boxed in the rear mounts and got the crossbar mounted and welded in. This thing is so square in the back of this car its almost factory haha.

Looks perfect in the wheel wells.

After getting everything welded up for the subframe mounts I started working on mounting the gas tank. I opted to use the 1g awd dsm gas tank since I have saw many use this and have success. I mounted it directly to my crossbar I made.

This is what you will have to work with after installing the gas tank backwards. I will have the high pressure hose made at evco and just make my own breather.

Also this morning I ordered my tires, I decided on 225/50/15 bfg gforce sports. I cant wait til they get here, it is going to look so bad ass with those meats under it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:43 am 

Yesterday was my 21st birthday so you know what I did. Worked on the colt haha. I did get pretty wasted in the late night but I got the suspension all delt with yesterday and finally set the back of the car on the ground and made sure it was legit.

I wanted to replace my konis with something newer since these definitely wore on a little bit, but I want to stay on the cheap side til its on the road. I got a set of 1g awd struts and springs for 40 dollars from a good friend so I could nab the bottom bushing and ring off rears and use the fronts. The front two Konis on my car are way wore out a quite bouncy so I will use these dsm fronts with my gc coilovers.

I welded the bottom ring a bushing onto the Koni. Then I Bolted it all on and nothing seems to bind or have any issues. Looks like it will work.

I shouldnt have any rubbing issues with the 225's on the car, but we will see once I get them today :D

It really sets in when all the wheels are on it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:03 am 
Some call me a god

lookin good!

It also might be a good idea to reinforce those rear shock extensions

89 2.0 Turbo Colt
13 Ducati 1199 Panigale

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:27 am 
Some call me a god

It's moving right along. :drinkers:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:07 pm 

I got my tires the other day and got them mounted and balanced on my rims. These babys look sweet, I couldnt wait to get home and test fit them. Here are some pics.
Still clear the struts
Me and my buddy put together a trans for this out of 2 trannys that both had something wrong with them. The internals look good on this one so lets hope it shifts as well as it looks. I painted the case when it was all done and also cleaned and painted it silver. Me and my girlfriend then installed it.

I ended up picking up a 16g that I was told was an fp big 16g, but I looked up the serial numbers and it is an evo316g. yay I got this baby for 50 bucks since it had stripped threads on the hotside. I was running a 14b w/ 1g turbine housing before so Ill just use my old housing. I also picked up a tial 50mm bov and an Alchemy ram horn mani.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:05 pm 
Some call me a god

This looks great, and you're moving along pretty nicely as well! Can't wait to see the finished result. Got any pics or info on your Holset GSX?

94 Talon TSi AWD Auto - Sold
90 Laser RS FWD 4G63T - Hit and totalled

Summer - 2000 Pontiac Fireturkey Trans Am LS1 A4
Winter - 2006 Honda CRV K24 5MT