4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:53 am 
CSM Junkie

Why dont you buy some Mandrel bent U-pipes for making the exhuast? Just cutting/butting together those pipes you welded together is not the way to do it and looks a bit hack/redneck. But if thats what your going for... then sweet.

Going to a mandrel bends on the exhuast piping will help the flow as well. What you did there with those pipes will seriously affect flow.

The whole point of adding boost is to improve power and responce correct? so why would you go backwards by making a exhuast pipe like that?

good job on it otherwise!

-1992 Eagle Summit AWD 4g63t swap (SOLD)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:41 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Well I am not going to hold my tongue for anyone. And seems as you guys are so observant and all, that is the Wideband, not the factory o2. So you just wasted who knows how long in your life typing that crap up. The car is going to run just fine. Amazing how people think the world will end if something is not the same way that everyone else has done something since the inception of these cars. My car just might implode and kill me and everything around me for a piece of steel being out of place. OH NOES :roll:
There's a reason no one builds exhaust systems with straight up 90* angles. I'm all for doing shit your own way but this is just stupid you defending your "engineering".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:19 pm 

chill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:33 pm 
Some call me a god

If you are paying for mandrel u-bends, I will go pick them up, if not keep quiet. There may be a reason people do those things, but there are MULTIPLE reasons I already listed as to why it was going to be this way on my car. I never said I was an engineer or trying to engineer parts. People just over complicate things and pretty much speak out of their ass because they don't know any better or because Jim Bob said so.

To create some of the angles needed may not have been able to be reached with traditional bends. That and I purchased all of my tubing for $50 and the only local mandrel bender I know if is $25 A BEND. Again, I have no qualms about how this looks or flows. The job will get done and I am certain the car will be fun. Looking for maybe 200whp when it is said an done.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:31 pm 
Some call me a god

Boost leak central. Also found the BOV is opening. Did not determine at what psi yet. It is already crushed, but may be too far. Also found a hose barely on for the BOV on the manifold. It is too big and even a ziptie barely kept it on. Slid right off when I found the leak. And of course I am going to have to go over all the piping with a TIG as it has been MIG welded. But for the most part, there is not many which is shocking given I wire fed the pipes together.

It likely won't stall with its stock coverter, but I will try again once I seal the intake system up. I was only able to make 6psi on wastegate pressure messing around on my test drive tonight. Far from perfect, but already faster than before running like crap. But it is still stuck around 2000rpm for the stall.

Not sure when I will get to the pipes and leaks, but it runs for now and I have other priorities for the next week and a half. So maybe when we come back from the salt flats I will run the TIG over the pipes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:54 pm 
Some call me a god

Had a busy week. I was suppose to head to World Finals in Utah. We had a head gasket failure before the car ever even started. So we cancelled that trip. The next morning we got the race car started and decided we were going to go to California and try for the Mojave Mile. Well we were short money for fuel to get out there and back. So we stayed home. So between working on that car, the bus, my truck and work I did get this car done. I finished the pipes actually over a week ago, but have not had time to reweld them with the TIG. That is the plan tonight. I had to get some work done on the truck or I would have had it done and tuning earlier.

But here is a few pics before the TIG welding.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:22 am 
Some call me a god

It is all done. It is 95% tuned. Makes a wooping 6psi on wastegate pressure. Certainly no rocket ship, but how it should have been from the factory. I am going to have to put a boost controller on it though. Hopefully I can get around 15psi on pump gas out of it. More would be better. My goal is to have it out run my dad's 2010 V6 Camaro. I am sure that will make him think harder about buying the wrong engine.

But for now it is pretty fun. We raped on it for about a half hour tonight and everything is running just fine. The FMIC heat soaked a little up around 115* or so, but came back down to 70* intake temps pretty fast given the 55* or so ambient air tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:29 pm 
CSM Junkie

hows that little automatic holdin up? how does it handle the increased horsepower on shifts?? no slipping?

its the original 1.5L auto right? 3sp?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:52 pm 
Some call me a god

This is a factory 4G61 car. It came with a four speed KM176. Jaysmirage and his dad rebuilt it when I first bought it. It is running just fine as if it had a turbo all along.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:43 pm 
Some call me a god

Well that was crap. The sealing ring for the exhaust bushing on the shaft let go on the turbo. That was the main reason it was only getting 5-6psi. It was dragging really bad on the turbine guard. I put a boost controller on the car and could not make more than 8psi no matter how hard I tried. I tore the turbo down tonight and removed that clip. It spins great now without it in there. The damage is done though and it needs a rebuild. Just bushings probably as nothing else was damaged. I am going to try and pick up a 14b this weekend and give it another shot. My oil return line is not at the most ideal angle going into the pan, but if I kill another turbo I will redo that. I don't think that was it as the turbine seal was coked pretty good right around that clip. It just started to damage the shaft with heat. If I had some bushings I would slap them in there and go as everything still is straight.

Maybe with a healthy turbo I can do a little damage with this car.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:34 pm 
Some call me a god

Alright. Tried a 14b this weekend with the same results. Ended up rebuilding the throttle body today and now only have a small pin hole on the boost reference nipple for the boost controller. I will likely pull that off and weld a bung on and do it right. We tried to braze a brass nipple into the steel j-pipe. Did not work well. But close. Other than that, that is my last boost leak. Just a baby one though.

Well jason brought another 14b over and we tried everything and got the system to hold plenty of air on a boost leak test. So I reluctantly swapped a third turbo on the thing. Well needless to say I had two crap turbos. Its a shame as the small 16g would have been sick.

But anywho, we took it for a test drive and bam, came right into boost. not sure where it was, but fealt like it had a turbo for a change. Made another run and decided to turn the boost up a little. Got up to 16psi before I let off because it was going way lean. Looks like my optimistic thoughts on the stock 1.6 N/A fuel pump were wrong. It needs a fuel pump bad. Even on pump gas. But I have the injectors so all is well there.

But at 15psi it spins the tires in first and spins them on the shift and for a second or two going into second. I did not stay in it long enough to go to the 2-3 shift. But we are in business. And I am officially on the automatic tranny bandwagon.

Woohoo. I almost threw in the towel on this car today if we could not make progress. Glad I didn't as I am all smiles tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:43 am 
CSM Junkie

Nice, so the hotsides were so cracked that it kept letting boost past the flapper?

I have lots of good td05h hotsides that are good!! send those center sections MY WAY!! ahaha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:04 am 
Some call me a god

It was the center sections. They were locking up for what ever reason. The bushings were shot on the first one when I tore it down. Did not even bother with the second turbo. I never removed the evo III turbine housing when swapping turbos. Just removed the compressor and center section via the v-band clamp. I can have the turbo off the car in less than 15 minutes the way things are set up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:00 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
This is a factory 4G61 car. It came with a four speed KM176.

Yeah I got a KM175 and it loves the boost!! But I have a 4G67 though ( DOHC 1.8 ),lol. So what psi are you going to stay at? I'm right now on 8psi daily :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:34 am 
Some call me a god

Alright. The car is almost done. I need plug wires, valve cover gaskets and one more boost leak test to make sure on things. That and maybe get a longer coupler for one of the connections. But Jason and I spent a little while tonight installing the fuel pump. Then probably an hour driving back and forth like idiots by my house. But I think we found about where it likes it. It was blowing out the spark at 20psi. So we turned it back to 18.5psi or so and it seems to be happy there.

Only thing I don't like is it loads the motor pretty hard on the 2-3 shift. It seems to take a little to shift as well. But it did seem to get worse and worse and not want to shift fast. But we were hot lapping the crap out of the car. So I am sure the tranny temps were getting up there. Good news is it is super reliable. When I replace the valve cover gaskets I will torque the head down a little more. But we noticed no heat soak on the coolant temps to speak of. Stayed right at 170-180 for the 25 pulls or so we did tonight. The intercooler did heat soak towards the end as well reaching just under 140* on the intake temps after all our raping on the car.

So right now the car it sits at 18-19psi and seems to love it. I am not going any further. I may at some point figure out a better shifting solution, whether it be full line pressure, a shift box, or something. I was also offered a tranny cooler so that may make its way in there as well.

Videos to come soon.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next