4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Biglady's Sedan build
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:37 pm 
Some call me a god

Got this car home today. Parts have already started coming in.

Plans are dsmlink, a 14b and to put it on E85.

The things I ordered today.

Timing belt
Water pump
Sway bar bushings
All accessory belts
Cam seals
Tranny overhaul kit
All four struts

The car came with a 14b, 1g manifold, large turbo dsm cams, a timing tensioner and 450cc injectors and a 90 turbo dsm harness to pick parts from. It also came with a 90 erom turbo ecu.

So as things progress, I plan on keeping you all in the loop.

I am still a few parts short on doing some turbo stuff, but I want the car ready before anything like that happens. Image

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:39 pm 
Some call me a god

New working radio installed today. Cheap CD player with mp3 from walmart. Got an unbroken gauge bezel in, but still need the two pieces that hold the buttons in, got the center console back in. Hoping to start tonight or tomorrow on the tranny removal.

Still can't find a grill and door trim pieces. Been to four junk yards.

After the tranny, hopefully I can start making plans for the turbo install.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:55 am 
CSM Junkie

What grille are you looking for?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:05 am 
Some call me a god

Anything not broken. Would not mid the mitsu chrome grill though.

Got the tranny out today. Dropped it off at jason's so we can tear into it tomorrow. He called me and said he tore it down when he got back to work. So I guess in the morning we have to get two parts and all the new stuff goes back in. Hope to have it done tomorrow if not the following day if we get the parts.

Also got the axles to the axle shop. The drive's axle was bent badly. That is the reason for the death wobble at speed. I balanced all the tires myself and it still had a wobble. So both front axles will be getting rebuilt completely.

Tonight while I am "working", I plan on doing the timing belt, turbo cams, accessory belts and water pump. And depending on how late I "work" or how busy it is, or just how long the car takes, I am going to pull all the suspension as all my new struts came in today. Plan on swapping those in tomorrow a well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:11 pm 
Some call me a god

I have some time tonight, or at least I hope I do, and I plan on hitting it hard.

I am going to install the new timing belt, new cam seals, turbo camshafs, all new accessory belts and the new suspension. I also have some new/used valve cover gaskets going in.

I hope we can find the time tomorrow to finish the tranny so I can install it tomorrow night. Then I can just enjoy the car for a little bit until I get a few more bucks to install the turbo and its parts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:06 am 

Damn Steven...moving right along with this thing. You are not fruit and banana around. Im interested to hear how that 1.6 runs with those turbo cams. I'm honestly thinking of doing a 4g61 NA build with my 89 Summit sedan with turbo cams, a 63 2 1/4" header, Catco cat, a 2 1/2 inch exhaust, a mild port and polisn, 80mm TB, 4g67 head, a thinner head gasket, and a lightweight flywheel and balanced harmonic balancer. I might just say fruit and banana it after a little while and swap a 63NA in it and do some slight mods to it with some coil overs and take it to the local road course. Anyway I'm subscribed.

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:43 pm 

Quote:
Damn Steven...moving right along with this thing. You are not fruit and banana around. Im interested to hear how that 1.6 runs with those turbo cams. I'm honestly thinking of doing a 4g61 NA build with my 89 Summit sedan with turbo cams, a 63 2 1/4" header, Catco cat, a 2 1/2 inch exhaust, a mild port and polisn, 80mm TB, 4g67 head, a thinner head gasket, and a lightweight flywheel and balanced harmonic balancer. I might just say fruit and banana it after a little while and swap a 63NA in it and do some slight mods to it with some coil overs and take it to the local road course. Anyway I'm subscribed.
@BigLady, nice pickup man! I was trying hard to get ahold of this, but couldnt get around to picking it up. Can't wait to see where this thing goes.

@Rob, I think a 4g63 na swap would be awesome, for such a light vehicle it'd be a blast and mild mods would be nice. When you swap out let me know and I will take 61 off of your hands ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:19 pm 

Where did you get those mitsuboshi belts?

89 Plymouth Colt GT
90 Talon TSI AWD
94 Montero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:27 pm 
Some call me a god

Local wholesale parts supplier. They are the actual factory parts though. They have the same lettering and numbers as the stock belts do. They sell tons of factory parts there, just reboxed in the actual manufacturers boxes for copyright reasons I am sure. Had some funky name for a knock sensor but it is a true blue mitsubishi part.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:49 pm 

I wonder if we have anything like that here in PHX, I go through this stuff like water, it would be nice to get them cheaper. :-k

89 Plymouth Colt GT
90 Talon TSI AWD
94 Montero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:58 pm 
Some call me a god

Yea, factory belt for $25. Can't beat that. I use my friend's account there. He is a member here and I am greatful I can use the account. Helps out a ton on all my vehicles.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:08 pm 

What is it called?

89 Plymouth Colt GT
90 Talon TSI AWD
94 Montero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:06 pm 
Some call me a god

Per my findings, from when I measured 1.6L turbo cams versus 1G dsm turbo cams a few years ago and what I found today, 1.6L turbo cams and 1.6L N/A cams are the same camshafts.

Graham sent me the "big" factory C and D cams. And while the big factory exhaust cam is indeed larger by .010" than a regular turbo cam, the intake appears to be the same size. Or at least what he sent me.

I measured everything with the same set of micrometers.

The turbo 2.0L cams are still just .010" larger than the 1.6L turbo and N/A cams.

C and D cams
Intake lift- 1.396"
Intake duration- 1.180"

Exhaust lift-1.398"
Exhaust duration-1.182"

1.6L turbo and N/A cams
Intake lift-1.385"
Intake duration-1.181"

Exhaust lft-1.376"
Exhaust duration-1.183"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:14 pm 
Some call me a god

I found out why the water pump belt was squeeling so bad as well. At some point in the car's life something happened to the original water pump pulley. They replaced it with a factory pulley, but it is not the original pulley. It is about 1.5 ribs off. I bought new belts a little early I guess, but at least I will have new belts. It must be for a 1.8L or a SOHC 2.0L or something. Heck maybe even a 1.5L. So I have to go to the junk yard before I can install the water pump and power steering belts.

I also found the valve cover had never been off the car. The gaskets were literally baked onto the cover. I had to chisel the main gasket and all four spark plug hole gaskets. WHAT A PITA.

Hopefully we can get the tranny done in the next few days and I can gve my fiance her spot in the garage back. But things have gone well and I am looking forward to seeing how we the car will run now. Should be a little champ now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:30 am 
CSM Junkie

nice... a 14b is planned.. this should make the car actually fun to drive with and not some peaky build trying to just get the highest HP possible with the hugest turbo possible to fit into the enginebay.

I always wanted to do the same with a 92 elantra 1.6L dohc i had... i always wondered what the N/A stuff/(rods/pistons) could handle.

-1992 Eagle Summit AWD 4g63t swap (SOLD)