4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 89 Mirage Sedan Build
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:04 pm 

Well as some of you know I recently acquired a 1989 Eagle Summit sedan. I am making slow but sure progress on it and I figured I'd make a build thread to chart this progress. While I am keeping the original 4G61 non turbo engine I am converting it to turbo using stock 1G DSM parts. I am building my list slowly but surely. To start with I've been messing with things here and there as I was trying to decide exactly WHAT it is that I want to do with this car.
Well I was bored today so I decided to get out my high speed buffer and my 3m compound and go to town on the car. The paint was so dull that you could rub your finger on the paint and come up with a chalk like substance. I started on the trunk of the car and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. The shine came back instantly and I quickly followed with a 3m glaze and a foam hook and loop pad. The paint (for the most part) looks amazing for a 21 year old car. The only thing I don't like about doing this to cars of this age is all of the trim now has compound on it. I cleaned it up the best I could but I can't get it all the way off. Anyway, after I was done I was pretty happy with the results. I'm a little unhappy that it rained immediately after I washed it to get the dust off of it but so goes life. I finished everything up by cleaning the rims (Rota Slips) and polishing them.
Today I also took the exhaust manifold off (had an 1/8" crack all the way down the 3rd runner) and removed the remains of the exhaust, which was rediculously rusted and destroyed, to make way for the new exhaust that I am going to have custom fabbed once I get all the parts I need. I also removed the stock NT water pipe and thermostat housing. Then I took apart the intake system to get the intake side ready for the install of the FMIC and associated piping.
Seeing as this car has a NT engine it will not see any more than 10 lbs of boost. I don't plan on making any kind of significant horsepower in this car because basically I don't need it. I don't drive that much anymore because my new job is only about 5 miles from my house so really I'm just looking to up the fun factor of this car.
From the factory it had 123 horsepower and has NO guts under say 4000 RPM. Pulling out into traffic is a real task. Anyway I noticed that when I got the car the check engine light was on so I traced that down to a few different things. First of all the AC compressor was unplugged as well as the receiver dryer. Then I noticed that the vacuum lines that were supposed to go to the EGR valve were plugged and taped in a very ghetto fashion so I removed the plug and connected the vacuum lines properly. I got into the car and started it up to see no check engine light anymore. The idle improved dramatically as well.
Basically guys I'm planning to run a 14b at around 8-10 psi, a set of 450s will do the injection as well as a Talon fuel pump, intake air will be blown through a stock 1G MAF and out of the turbo on it's way to a FMIC, and the engine will be managed by a completely stock 1G manual turbo ECU. Very simple. If in the future I decide I do want some more HP I can always get my hands on a 4G63t. But for now I want to see what I can get from the 1.6 NT. I don't plan to race with it or do anything crazy as I'd just like to have a decently "quick" daily driver.
I will keep you all updated as the story progresses but this is my building block for now. Let me know what you guys think.

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:43 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

gorgeous car, and a 1.6 to boot, lucky bastard. sounds like an unhealthy 1.6(it should not be as wheezy/weak as you've said it is), but a 1.6 nonetheless :p

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:11 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Needs more skirt!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:28 pm 

Quote:
Needs more skirt!
Dave you are 100% right!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:42 am 

Well I got a little bit of work done here and there to bring me closer to my ultimate goal. Still waiting on money to come in as well as parts. But I managed to get the intercooler mounted, get the oil pan drilled, get the turbo cleaned, painted and the exhaust housing swapped for a 7cm one, and I got my manifold sand blasted and painted. So here are some updated pics.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:23 pm 
Because Race Car

Progress looks good!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:57 pm 

Well guys I know it's been a few since I updated this thread and that's for good reason. I didn't really tell anyone but I quit my job the other day. It's a long long story that's been happening since I started there and I chose that my family and my sanity is a little more important than working at a factory where the people that work there treat you like an absolute piece of shit and appreciate nothing. They cancelled my schedule twice in three weeks and were planning to lay off about 65 people (including me) and I got while the getting was good. One of the supervisors decided to call me a "lazy fruit and banana" and told me to "put the fruit and banana glass in the God damned cullet". Needless to say I didn't take this well and I threw a piece of glass down, told him to fruit and banana himself like I fruit and banana his wife, and walked out. That day five people decided to walk out not only because of people like this but because of the whole laying off so close to being hired. They jerked me around and played games with me pretty much just because they could. So in total Friday as well as Thursday and Wednesday 7 people walked out. I was the only one that decided to do it with any flair. But I had an interview today with the USPS and that seems hopeful so with any luck I'll get in there soon. It starts at $11 an hour and if they decide to keep me after January 15th I automatically get a pay raise to $16.48 an hour and get full government benefits.
Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I went to a Halloween party at someone's house that I've never met before and what's the first thing I see when I pull in the driveway? This...
It's a 500+hp AGP turbo powered fully built SRT4. It runs a 10.49 quarter mile. This thing is amazingly clean. It's got a full roll cage and gutted interior. Purpose built race car. Then I go into his garage (which is where the party was anyway) and under a tarp is a fully built Sentra SER. It's got forged internals and a fully built head with race cams. Hanging off the front of the engine is a T3/T4 that I took a liking to. Then in the other corner in a box is a brand new AGP turbo that he plans to put in his SRT. I will be selling his current Garrett that's on his SRT here as soon as he removes it. He runs around 34 lbs of boost out of it and it spools fantastically. This guy is promising me that he's going to sell me his Apexi EBC and his Greddy external wastegate along with the downpipe flange that it's attached to for $200 so I can use it on my Mirage along with my new setup. I know that I'm going to have to get my hands on a 4G61t or 63t block and throw it in here after I blow up this 61NA on the second pull... :lol: Anyway after I installed my 7cm housing on my 14b, sandblasted it, and painted it I ended up taking it off and selling it for this...
It's a Garrett T3/T4 that was recently rebuilt along with the oil feed and return line with all Earls fittings for $150! He's returning the SER to NA so he can drive it daily so he sold me alot of the shit he had for it for practically nothing. He's got ALOT of other stuff in his garage so keep an eye out for some of that stuff in the FS section here. I still have a long way to go before this car will be running and legal so I'm just trying to keep you guys updated as to what's happening here. Let me know what you think of my new beast. I'm still have to get a DSM harness, a 1G MAF, make an intake tube, and get an adaptor plate to run the T3/T4 on my 2G manifold. It's a hell of alot cheaper than buying a T3 manifold unless someone wants to trade me for my 2G manifold and some other parts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:47 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
One of the supervisors decided to call me a "lazy fruit and banana" and told me to "put the fruit and banana glass in the God damned cullet". Needless to say I didn't take this well and I threw a piece of glass down, told him to fruit and banana himself like I fruit and banana his wife, and walked out.
Needless to say, This made my morning :P talk about being a strait up balller

Thats a wicked good price for that setup man good luck. Btw your car pulls off the laser bumper perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:38 am 
Some call me a god

Hey Rob...sorry to hear about the mistreatment. I went through some crap this year and had to get another job as well. Anyways...the 4 door is looking nice!! Some day I will have a sedan to rock around, and hopefully that nice looking too! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:16 pm 

Congrats on the government job, especially when they're laying off people too. Lets hope you get a few paychecks before China forecloses on them! Haha

On a more serious note $ 16 is great. Especially with all the paid holidays postal workers get. You might actually some money on your pocket with some time on your hands too. With my job its never both. Great money while I'm working but no time or plenty of time to myself(laid off) and no money.