4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: 93 Colt Build
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:26 pm 

Thanks for the kind words guys and the tip on the dry ice for the sound material. I've got some left over parts from previous builds here and there. one of them being a water to air intercooler setup :)

Ive gotta head to harbor freight and pick up a cheap angle grinder as i've only got a crappy craftsman 110v flux core gassless welder. hopefully after welding anything i can grind down the birdsh!t welds and make them look decently presentable and paint over them after shaping.

A good friend of mine is giving me what he THINKS is an evo 2 transmission?? not sure honestly as i havn't seen it with my own eyes, but its complete and probably needs some synchros replaced im guessing. Other than that who can complain about a free awd transmission!

Also he's letting me barrow a 6 bolt bare block without guts so i can bolt it up in the engine bay and start mockup of the awd system and engine mounts at atleast get those done.

The plans for the setup SO FAR are the water to air IC and possibly a PTE 5031E or maybe a 20G. i dont think ill need much more than that to run some decent numbers like 10s at 125-130mph.. then again the turbo choice is not final its just something ive been toying with in my head. i put a 5031e on a friends car and he tuned it with ds-map (jackal) and it runs excellent! great turbo overall. not too big and not too small, has good top end and can make decent power.

I dont see myself making more than 450ish probably as im going to stick with the stock internals since the car is going to be soo light already. i think 450 should get me the times im looking for easily.

Post subject: Re: 93 Colt Build
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:05 am 

Long time since ive updated...

Anyway ive gotten an Evo 3 transmission for free from a friend :) I took it apart to clean the case and check the condition of the guts and make sure all was well. So far everything seems to be in excellent shape with minimal wear. The transmission has an OEM front mechanical LSD as well as steel shift forks and hardened rails. I counted the teeth on the front ring gear and found it to be 64 teeth. The standard awd 1g dsm front ring gear has a count of 58 teeth. So i sourced a front ring gear and pinion shaft from a 1g AWD Dsm to swap in place so i can use the transmission without worry of toasting the VCU.

I also managed to cut out the rear of the trunk. Pic just shows some stuff i was toying around with to get basic ideas of mounting. ive decided on using box steel sunken into the rear subframe chanel.

Ive also started to play with the DSM wiring harness and label the plugs as well as eliminate and un-necessary junk i dont need and shorten parts of the harness as to make a more near and nice looking harness. still have lots left to do but ive atleast started...

The big part of this update!! Ive source the mounts to hang my awd tranny case and bare 1g short block without internals for mockup purposes.
So far ive used a 2G timing belt mount and the bracket that bolts to the block. The transmission side ive used the stock 1.5l transmission mount and bracket that originally came with the 93 colt and re-drilled the hole for the bolt about 1/2 inch up and half inch to the right (when looking at the mount from the front of the engine as its installed) As for the front and rear roll-stop mounts ive used the stock brackets that bolt to the block. The front mount will be fabbed up (solid mount) and welded to the boxsteel shown in the pics below that will be welded between the lower tow hooks. The rear rollstop mount will be welded on to the subframe right above the steering rack. My plans were to originally weld another piece of boxsteel in place between the frame rails right in front of the firewall but since i found that the subframe is probably a better location it also cleans up the engine bay a little more. In the pics below the rear roll stop bracket is flipped upside down which is now not the case.