4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 59 Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:37 pm 
CSM Junkie

i love the excel, i have a feeling that me and a buddy of mine will be putting one together

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:47 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Thats a good Idea, Im gonna try and find a scale sometime soon.

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible
78 Arrow G54B Swap, Celeste makeover. (MOD 2016 Veteran)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:40 am 

Update: Idle Surge Fixed!!!!

I finally fixed my annoying Idle surge. A few months ago I tried the FIAV Bypass, That didnt solve anything for me so I drove it around like that for 2 months. fast forward to Last night I tried swapping ISCs from my collection and that didnt help either, so I decided to try a complete blockoff plate to eliminate ISC and FIAV. It Worked! I was a little worried about how it would run in the morning when its 40* out, but surprisingly it ran fine. I had to crack the throttle at startup for about 30 seconds till it stayed running on its own. I must say it feels so good to be rid of the idle surge.

My mod is temporary because I built my plate out of 1/2 inch plexiglass. I will be ordering a metal one soon from chinabay soon, unless someone here has one for sale.

One question I have is what should I do with the ISC? Right now I still have it plugged in and taped securely. I didnt want to take it out in fear of throwing a code.
Has anyone made a jumper with resistors to fool the ECU into thinking its still there?

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

Last edited by moidsm1 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:44 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Update: Idle Surge Fixed!!!!

I finally fixed my annoying Idle surge. a few months ago I tried the FIAV Blockoff, That didnt solve anything for me so I drove it around like that for 2 months. Last night I tried swapping ISCs from my collection and that didnt help either, so I decided to try a complete blockoff plate to eliminate ISC and FIAV. It Worked! I was a little worried about how it would run in the morning when its 40* out, but surprisingly it ran fine. I had to crack the throttle at startup for about 30 seconds till it stayed running on its own. I must say it feels so good to be rid of the idle surge.

My mod is temporary because I built my plate out of 1/2 inch plexiglass. I will be ordering a metal one soon from chinabay soon, unless someone here has one for sale.

One question I have is what should I do with the ISC? Right now I still have it plugged in and taped securely. I didnt want to take it out in fear of throwing a code.
Has anyone made a jumper with resistors to fool the ECU into thinking its still there?

in my gls i have yet to have a engine light come on. i unplugged mine. runs way better than it did.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:32 am 

Thanks for the tip. Are you running a blockoff plate too? or are you saying you just unplugged the ISC and left it in the T-Body?

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:56 am 
CSM Junkie

i just unplugged the ics. ive been meaning to pick up a block off plate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:11 pm 

Update:

I recently installed the ebay FIAV complete blockoff plate and that is running great, I have no loads like, A/C, Power steering to worry about so that worked out great.

I also did my fuel pump rewire with 10ga wiring and a relay, I can definetly hear the pump whine more now! That factory wiring has major power drop, I reccomend this to anyone with a car that runs!.

The other thing I did is throw in the Hallman MBC ive had for years and set it to 13LBS, Im having traction issues now, My one spinning 185-70-13 is hating life now! Im gonna have to start looking for a better wheel/tire setup.

Next I am going to have to figure out what Driver side axle setup to use, The 1.5 axle pops out.

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:49 pm 

Right now I am waiting for a C50 axle to come into the parts store. In the meanwhile Ive had styling accessories in the back of my head for a while now. With the downtime I thought Id post some Ideas,

I want to accessorize it with year specific items. or things that were popular in the early 90's.
1. Wheels, I have a set of 15" Chrome 5 stars lined up, Everyone had these wheels back then, but noone has them now.
2. Dont laugh but I want to install a Le-bra. This will hide my intercooler for a sleeper look.
3. Im unsure of the foglights, possibly some generic thin rectangles with yellow bulbs.
4. Stereo: I recently found a Kenwood Pull out cassette stereo with RCA jacks for amplifier hookups, I need a 1990 amp to push some Red surround Cerwin Vegas Ive had in my closet. Ill use a cassette adapter to hook up my ipod.

5. No cool 90's cars went without a "Bad Boy Club" Sticker
6. Hyundai logo windshield visor decal

So far I have added these Winshield Wiper Boots I found at a junk yard. I remember when these were cool, do you? I remember they used to come in different colors, Red would be awesome!

If you have any ideas let me know
Before

After

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:58 am 
Because Race Car

Quote:
5. No cool 90's cars went without a "Bad Boy Club" Sticker
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

It's like we were separated at birth! :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:19 am 

Crunchymilk,

Your sig is what reminded me of those stickers. Another good one was the "Local Motion" rear sticker, haha, But Bad Boy Club was cooler

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:55 pm 
CSM Junkie

my elantra has a bra on it. but its to hold my front bumper together

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:27 am 

I got some decals in the mail yesterday, Cant wait to put them on!

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:36 am 

I got the decals on. I will post some pics later,

Im still having issues with my Drivers side Long Axle. Everyone knows that a 1.5L axle pops out of the trans so I went hunting yesterday at the junk and found a Hyundai Sonata with SOHC 4g63. It turns out to be almost exactly the same length as a DSM Long axle. So that was a no-go. sSo then I got the idea to use the Sonata tranny side cup on my 1.5L axle. So I ended up with a hybrid. Excel axle with Sonata cup. The sonata cup was a little larger that I was hoping it would be. The ball bearings had a little play and ruined the cup after driving around the block! I had to push the car home=( So now Im wondering what I should do:

A:
Does anyone have any experience of having aan axle shortened? Is that even possible? I could use a DSM halfshaft with Intermediate if it was shortened a bit.

B:
Another Idea I have would be to weld the Sonota bearing retainer onto the Excel Axle. Its kinda hard to picture in your mind, But I will post some pics once I clean up the parts. Theres too much grease to view anything im talking about! Talk about a messy job!

Here is a video that shows how the axle comes aparthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgYP9vN4 ... re=related

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:50 am 

Alright, I think I have my Driver side axle issue resolved, For Now......
After talking with many people about DSM/CSM axles I came to the conclusion I had already concluded. I needed something totally different! Im not sure why. Maybe its because there are three Bodies/generations to these Excels. As Follows:
X1 1986-1989
X2 1990-1991
X3 1992-1994

Mine is a 1991 so I have an X2. Most swaps I have seen out there have all been X3 Excels, all have expressed no issues using CSM axles, and elantra xmembers. Did I mention I could not use the early elantra Xmember? It wouldnt line up. I used my original Excel xmember and welded mounts onto it.
Someone earlier quoted me that My excel is a Modified C10 chassis,
In conclusion I beleive my problem all along was a combo of having an X2 Excel and the engine placement in the car, also possibly a wheelbase difference between CSM and Hyundai.

This is what I have tried:
92 DSM Intermediate shaft with CSM axle: Too Long
90 Galant FWD Long Axle: Way Too Long
Original unmodified Excel axle: Perfect Length but does not lock into trans, Pops out!

Now, I finally have an axle that is the right length and does not pop out of the trans, in my last post I mentioned that I was going to try to build a hybrid Axle, and I have done it with the help of Archi at PSI (Performance Specialties Innovations) Tucson AZ.

What I did was use my original Excel axle with a 1990 Hyundai Sonata Trans side cup. The Sonata Cup is a larger diameter at the bearing area but it is a perfect fit where it slides into the trans, Locks in Nicely!

In order to have this cup work on the thinner excel axle, Archie welded the larger sonata interior part/Cog? Onto my Excel axle.
Normally this piece slides over some Splines and is locked into place with a C-Clip. This is a part that never moves, so I figured welding it into place was the best solution. Since it was a larger spline diameter it slipped right over the Excel Axle. Archie centered it using some wire shims and tacked it into place A full weld on both sides will keep it in place for good. Be sure to have the boot and bearing holder ring already around the axle before you weld or you will never get them on again!

Enjoy the Pics!!!

Excel 1.5 Sonata 2.0 90 Galant FWD
Excel 1.5 on the right Sonata 2.0 on the left.
This is the Sonata Centerpiece over the Excel Axle
This is the same piece welded in place by Archie
This is the bearing holding ring over the center piece
This is where everything slides into. Dont forget to shoot some C/V axle grease in there. There is also a large Clip that keeps the combo from sliding back out. Dont forget that, Sorry No pics,
Here is the finished Product

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

Last edited by moidsm1 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:58 am 

This thing is ready for the Streets! Thanks for the idea crunchymilk!

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 59 Next