4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:03 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I think all the suspension is still colt stuff. It was replaced just before he did the 5 lug.

The exhaust sounded good when I first got it. Nice deep sounds. Recently its like it fell apart and sounds super rice like. It makes loud noises between 3200-3600. I don't like it so much and when I put the turbo on it will be replaced. If you like the sound of Honda or weed eaters that's the exhaust for you!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:57 pm 

Once you put that turbo on there, it will change the whole tone of the car. The turbo takes out some of the high noise that is associated with the "rice" sound.

I was thinking of turbo and Cherry bomb and see what happens with my car.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:35 pm 

True. It has 2.25 exhaust from manifold back and the muffler is 2.5. I was thinking of making it 2.5 or 3 all the way back once the boost goes up but I don't really know when its 'needed'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:40 pm 

EDIT: Moved pictures to first post.

Last edited by uweenukr on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:01 am 

Very nice work man! I love seeing people doing things a little different, gives the rest of us new ideas. Is that a 4G64 SOHC from a Galant or something?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:10 am 

95 Expo Auto.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:55 am 

Expo brakes update: The whole spindle/hub assembly does bolt right on to the car giving you larger brakes but it made my camber go positive a little. The wheel stuck out past the fender about half an inch at the top. So it the camber was put closer to 0 or slightly negative it would look normal. The sweet part is that no modifications were needed since I have DSM axles already. I think if you had CSM or turbo colt axles you would need to put a special seal on the inner side. Now I need to source a set of expo brakes.

I am doing body work while I wait for my replacement block to be ready. So far the side moldings have been put on. I am trying to decide if I should paint the front and back bumper white to leave the strip of black in the middle. I don't like how it looks now with the solid color bumpers.

Last edited by uweenukr on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:11 pm 

You do know that the 276mm GVR4 front rotor and twin piston calipers bolt right onto the Expo knuckle, correct?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:19 pm 

ya I knew vr4 fits but I am trying to do this on the cheap and its hard to find local vr4 parts. Still in the planning phases on what I want for now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:56 pm 

Napa can get GVR4 rotors new for around $40 each I think and you can use twin piston calipers from other Mitsubishis, not just GVR4s. Diamantes, na stealths and 3000gt's, 93+ awd dsm's, monteros and others too.

But even the expo brakes will be a nice, cheap upgrade over stock. I was just tossing the idea out there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:31 pm 

My dad put the 4g64 in his colt. Started working on it Thursday and it was driving Friday.

It has the following 'mods' lol:
1.5L computer
2.0L MAF
1.8L Throttle Body
2.4L Engine
1.5L Full Exhaust.

Somehow that works. It will eventually get the 4g63 head, throttle body and computer. But for now it can stay a daily driver. Pretty peppy all things considered. I'm surprised it even runs with all that mixed setup but it seems like its happy.

Update: This information has recently changed. See the first post.

Last edited by uweenukr on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:15 pm 

My car has been getting body work. Covering up rust and painting the front/rear bumper white. I really like how it turned out and would love to paint the whole car a nice white. It received 1 prothane mount which drastically helped its ability to lose traction and not hop up and down. Might go to the track tonight to improve on my times since the 2.4L is keeping up with me...

The 4g64 went to the track and managed a 10.53 at 69mph. Remember it has a 1.8L throttle body and 1.5L FULL exhaust/ecu.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:38 pm 

Over the weekend I installed the Expo brake swap. Went on pretty smoothly. The brakes are MUCH better. I need to put the larger master cylinder on so the pedal doesn't need to travel as far.

Also picked up a new bottom end from a machine shop. Fully rebuild 7bolt for $450 (cost of machine work. Someone dropped it off and never came back. It looks like 89mirageman worked on it :P I should be swapping the new engine (with a turbo this time I swear!) after the summer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:09 pm 

My dad and I went to the 1/8 mile track tonight. With shitty rainy weather it was looking like a bad night. I managed alot of my normal times but my dad somehow pulled off a 10.38 with a 2.32 60'. It normally runs in the 10.50s. This was the last pass before it started pouring down rain. We each made 7 passes and got a rain check to come back for free :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:14 pm 

Update:

Turbo time!

Well things aren't going so great. This weekend we were going to get things assembled. We checked out the short block from the machine shop that has been in a bag for a few months. It wouldn't turn over by hand...So we flip it over and take the oil pan off. The crank is rusted solid...They either didn't oil it after it was machine or it had water on it before the oil pan was on. Sooo pissed.

The crank was turned so I don't want to turn it again. I have another crank that needs to be turned from a NT car. I found online that the part numbers for the 7 bolt turbo and NT cranks are the same so I hope its a direct replacement. If I turn the NT crank it will fit with the bearings the short block came with.

The part that confuses me is the crank is the only part with rust. the bearings and rods are immaculate.

Can anyone confirm the cranks are the same?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next